St Johnstone At Mcdiarmid Park

Knightswood Jag

Absolute crap start to the season as per usual. After seeing Hamilton win 3-0 at Hibs today, it is quite obvious that we have an issue and it wasn't merely an impossible start to the season. That is what, 8 or 9 league games we have lost in a row now? Don't think we are going to get third time lucky. If Archie doesn't get his finger out and start putting our league form right, we are going to be in trouble. Hangover from last season.

Absolute crap start to the season as per usual. After seeing Hamilton win 3-0 at Hibs today, it is quite obvious that we have an issue and it wasn't merely an impossible start to the season. That is what, 8 or 9 league games we have lost in a row now? Don't think we are going to get third time lucky. If Archie doesn't get his finger out and start putting our league form right, we are going to be in trouble. Hangover from last season.

And there it is ladies and gentlemen. Like council buses we can expect the usual suspects to be right along behind their leader. Cue a panic fest....

Far too early to think there's an issue. Huge difference between playing Hibs on their first game back and Hamilton playing them today. We competed against Celtic. We should at least have got a draw today. Yes, there's improvements we can make - still got concerns about Barton, not convinced he's the player we all thought he was. Still feel we'll be fine in the longer run, but we'll just have to accept it's going to be another poor start to the season.

And there it is ladies and gentlemen. Like council buses we can expect the usual suspects to be right along behind their leader. Cue a panic fest....

"Usual suspects?" Well, since this is a forum I think I am well entitled to voice my concerns. And I am going to call balls and strikes as I see fit. If things are going well, I am happy to commend them, but when we for the 3rd season on the spin get off to a crap start I am going to be critical. I was unhappy with the way we finished last season, and we have carried that on to this season.

• Like 2

Not a panic fest,just calling things as I see them.I hope we can turn this around and start moving up the table.At the moment a win will change our position for the better.We don't want to be so far behind a win or two doesn't improve our position.Also imo Hamilton will be down in the bottom 2 at the end of the season,so we don't want them puling away.

When was the last time we were exciting to watch?

I think that is a very telling question. In the medium to long term, workaday performances, even if they result in retaining premier division status, will not be enough to sustain the club. Without the continued injection of money, such as that which the Weirs have very generously provided, falling gate receipts will make the future of the club difficult. People want to be entertained, and sadly Thistle, like many other clubs, are failing to do that.

A good part of the problem lies in players not taking responsibility on the park, and instead too often simply playing the obvious square ball that passes the buck to a team mate.

The game needs players who can go past opponents, and who can pass the ball quickly and at speed to generate more movement.

• Like 2

When was the last time we were exciting to watch?

Consistently? When we won the 1st Division.

We tried it first season up and against better teams or teams of similar quality who park the bus, it was fruitless.

It's a fine line between success and failure.

The only team who can genuinely entertain every week is Celtic.

Plus, for some, entertainment is overrated. How many on here want win at all costs if it means survival!

Disappointing today, but I'm firmly of the belief that we have a very strong team and things will gel. Turnbull was great today, Christie continues to play very well, Keown excellent apart from a few mistakes-however, for me the most exciting prospect on the park was big Sammon. I think he's going to prove quite an acquisition-aggressive, skilled and holds up the ball well. Really impressed with him.

When was the last time in a Jags v Saints game that both sides scored? And when was the last time in that fixture that the team who scored first lost?

29 Oct 2016 (Jags 2 - Saints 1)

2 Mar 2016 (Jags 2 - Saints 1)

Love stats; I think they're correct?

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just bought my first season ticket (to any sport, anywhere) and I've gone all in, having moved here recently.

• Like 4

We are far too slow and sometimes i wonder if Archie knows that we need to score goals to win games. Having 2 sitting midfielders is part of the reason. We have players like erskine who is good when he runs at players but we dont see it nearly enough. The first thought when we get the ball should be how are we going to score. Ive not got a clue whats going through the players heads other than how many square passes can I make. We want to see us winning but half the time you wonder how the **** we manage to create a chance never mind score a goal

• Like 1

29 Oct 2016 (Jags 2 - Saints 1)

2 Mar 2016 (Jags 2 - Saints 1)

Love stats; I think they're correct?

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just bought my first season ticket (to any sport, anywhere) and I've gone all in, having moved here recently.

Welcome to you and thanks for the clarification!!

Hope you'll post as often as you see fit - the more the merrier on here!!

• Like 2

We are far too slow and sometimes i wonder if Archie knows that we need to score goals to win games. Having 2 sitting midfielders is part of the reason. We have players like erskine who is good when he runs at players but we dont see it nearly enough. The first thought when we get the ball should be how are we going to score. Ive not got a clue whats going through the players heads other than how many square passes can I make. We want to see us winning but half the time you wonder how the **** we manage to create a chance never mind score a goal

this post sums up the season for me so far apart from the st midden game

this was our strongest pool of players selected and on the bench for a very long time today

square passes, back passes

the lad storey didn't get one decent pass all day

ohalleron ? had the freedom of the park today nobody really picked him up

the second half we had a good look at their centrebacks slow as H*** never stretched them by playing balls over the top for storey to run on to

however we did improve when doolan and sammon came on

osman edwards and lawless right off form today

we had bannigan spittal on the bench maybe they should start along with sammon who put himself about today

we really have to start getting the ball up to the front players much more quickly and get the opposing sides defences on the turn

Just back in from Perth and bitterly disappointed about the result , once again Alan Archibald as he's done in the past 3/4 seasons benches Kris Doolan for the new striker whether that's Lyle Taylor , Mathias Pogba ,Ade Azeez and now Miles Storey.

Travelling up to the game and heard the teams brought back memories of resorting to the long ball , hitting it in to corners , percentage game etc. and unfortunately that's how it turned out

Is that what we're really all about, with players like Erskine and Lawless in your team we become totally ineffective .

It was only when Doolan came on and Sammon that we looked like a decent football team .

Lost count of the times that Cerny lumped the ball up the park bypassing the fullbacks and midfield and basically that was meat and drink for the St Johnstone back 4

Kris Doolan as he's proved over the years with his goals and movement off the ball is the catalyst for guys like Lawless and Erskine to find the space to play, I lost count of the times Miles Storey was running the " channels " which I assume was down to Archie's tactics .

Overall a bad day at the office, need to start picking up points soon or it's going to be a long season.

• Like 1