Sportsound And Tommy Wright

jagfaelivi

If you didn't catch this last night they were at it again! Bigging up this man who produces teams who make your eyes bleed.

I didn't manage to Perth on Saturday but watched the first half hour on Jagzone and what they do is dire to behold If the ball comes anywhere within forty yards of their goal it either gets launched upfield if the defender is pointing the right way or into Row Z if he is not.They only ever think of playing football in the last third. And they close you down quickly, oh so quickly. Effective it certainly is at our level but, as has been said often, entertaining it is not and never will be.

Why are pundits so reluctant to say all of this and instead ask why Wright does not get asked to fill a Championship post in England? I'm fed up listening to Tom English lauding what is football that should have been outlawed in Noah's time.

Is it just because he is successful? His lack of success at being "asked to the party" down south when jobs come up is surely because teams there recognise his methods and their fans would just not put up with it.

At our level he has proved it works and that is one of Scottish football's many current sadnesses.

I would rather we got relegated than watch US resort to something similar!

• Like 3

I get why Tommy Wright's St. Johnstone take the plaudits for being a top six team, getting into Europe and winning cup competitions - it's pretty much exactly what we want for Thistle. But I still agree with Jagfaelivi - they're a nightmare to watch. If we're playing them and the Jags aren't playing well (not a difficult scenario to envisage) there's nothing on the park worth watching. The Saintees (dreadful nickname) will simply close the game down, waste time and see it out for the three points. It would make your eyes bleed. I think the reason they never get beyond their first contact in Europe is that European teams by and large aren't fazed by St. Johnstone's style - yes, their players are closed down, but they just retain the ball and move it about until they can do some damage. (Which is what Thistle should have been doing on Saturday, rather than booting the ball as far up the park as possible every time a Saint's player came near. Yes, Adam and Niall, I'm looking at you...)

Edited by Firhillista

Not for me.

I don't accept it's merely a results business. It's supposed to be entertaining. There are plenty of competitive industries out there but I've never

wanted a Bank of Scotland or a Standard Life scarf.

I can see some merit in managers and owners protecting their own part of it selfishly. What I don’t understand is why the sporting media would ever applaud it.

• Like 2

They finished two places above us and we've knocked them out of two cup competitions in a row. And they're boring as hell. In what way do they 'perform MUCH better'.

To be fair I only judge St Johnstone on the very limited occasions that I've seen them. My greater objection is to the view that results are all that matter. Dick Campbell probably left us in a stronger league position than he found us, but I reckon he did more harm than any other Thistle manager in my 30-odds years of watching.

• Like 1