Derek Harvey

CCjag

Born in Haddington to a family of Hearts supporters, Derek showed the perversity that would almost inevitably lead him to Firhill by initially supporting Hibs!

He was first introduced to the mysteries of Maryhill's Finest when studying at Glasgow University, but it was his meeting with, and marriage to, Maggie Forsyth that committed him to Partick Thistle.

Joined by their daughter Fiona, the trio were a fixture at Firhill and at away matches until the end of last season when the long-term effects of his illness curtailed his movements.

Derek was perhaps the least voluble, but a no less valued, member of what was once referred to as the North-West Politburo!

He was taken far too soon and our thoughts go to Maggie and Fiona who, amongst the many other good memories they will have, can look back at Derek celebrating Jags victories - and then having an extra grin/gin on hearing that the Jambos had lost!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek passed away at the Hospice on Calton Place at 8:25 pm on Tuesday 22 August.

• Like 1

I spent many years travelling on the North West bus via Esquire House with Derek, Maggie, Gordon, Morag and Fiona when she was born. All were huge supporters of our club and indeed our country. Really saddened to hear the news and the memories of these days will live long. Sincere condolences to all his and our family.

Firstly, Maggie and Fiona have asked me to thank everyone for their kind comments expressed here and through other communication channels.

They will both be back in their places in the JH stand on Saturday, though very conscious of the empty seat beside them

For that reason, and while extremely grateful for the suggestion and the thought behind it, coping with a minute’s applause would be very difficult and their preference would be that this kind gesture did not take place.

Thanks,

CCJag

• Like 1

Firstly, Maggie and Fiona have asked me to thank everyone for their kind comments expressed here and through other communication channels.

They will both be back in their places in the JH stand on Saturday, though very conscious of the empty seat beside them

For that reason, and while extremely grateful for the suggestion and the thought behind it, coping with a minute’s applause would be very difficult and their preference would be that this kind gesture did not take place.

Thanks,

CCJag

Probably a bit too soon, but an excellent gesture from the good folk on this forum. Health permitting, I hope to come along and join them in the stand.

There was talk some time ago about marking those we have lost from the Thistle family at the last home game of the season. Maybe time to look again at a minutes applause either before or during the game to remember those who we have lost. This would be in addition to any minute's silences/applause during the season and a way of acknowledging ALL of the Thistle family, fans, players, etc. I'm sure that we all know people we have lost that we would like to remember.

Edited by Wayfarer