Tuesday Night.

Auld Jag

This is a worry.

There are only so many hard luck stories before results start to become a self-fulfilling prophecy. See Dundee United a couple of seasons ago.

Friday night's result was acceptable up to a point due to Erskinho's red card, but having taken it to extra-time tonight, we did not acquit ourselves well at all. And Sevco should have been bricking it at that point. It was a real opportunity missed in my view.

Sevco will never brick it against us. They know they can beat us just about every single time they play us, no matter how crap they are. No matter how "strong" we keep saying our squad is. No matter if we'll "probably never have a better chance" against them.

Whatever the circumstances...... they will almost always win.

I dared to dream when Doolan scored. Thought if continued it into extra time we could have got the next goal but it was a tragic 30 mins. The defending for both goals was lazy and should have been dealt with. Elliot was everywhere but his final ball doesnt have any quality at all. The sammon/doolan partnership has to be the way forward. The only thing missing from connors performance was a goal. Devastating result when they looked vulnerable when put under pressure which we didnt do anywhere near enough

Inexplicable drop off immediately we went into extra time. Be hard to argue that was down to fitness/tiredness as just minutes before we were looking the stronger side. After they scored again we were mostly chasing shadows but that's understandable. Sevco shut the game down very well.

Once again I'm amazed at the degree of the negative comments from those who weren't at the game. There was a lot I wasn't happy with but that's nothing compared to what I just read

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the game tonight. A 90th minute equaliser makes for great drama, I've not jumped up and down (in public) in excitement since I was a child, also hugged a complete stranger. That said I think we'd all prefer low drama if it means points or cup games.

Then extra time happened, I'm not sure I'm there in terms of punditry and hesitate to offer a glib run down but it looked like we were out run.

Does anyone have stats on headers successfully challenged tonight or would like to take a guess, I got the impression we won a lot less.

From brief highlights: couple of good saves from Scully; blameless for the goals. For their second, reminiscent of Friday, the defence failed to put in a tackle, giving the h un space and time to choose his shot. Sammon looked like he had a good game. Did Lawless do anything?

I thought Lawless was good and worked tirelessly to get attacks going. He was dead on his feet at the end.

Sammon was good too and caused them plenty of problems for the most part. My MotM, probably Danny Devine by a slender margin. He looked assured and suited the captain's armband in my opinion.

Frustrated but very positive.

Fair play to Archie for going for it, but I didn't think the late goal momentum was there. We were pushing at the end of regular time, doing well and giving them problems. They were getting a bit sloppy but they didn't look out of it. It was mixed emotions for me when we had 5 players on the halfway line kicking off the extra time. Pride and trepidation. Mon eh ******' Theeeeesell!!!! ... but for fugs ache keep the heid.

Thought at the time he should have brought Bannigan on for the start of ET. Stevie had a decent game, but that was his first full 90 for ages and, not gubbed, but looked like he'd run his race.

I'd have thought about pulling Barton back and reforming the back 3 too. Possibly trying Nitriansky for Elliot. Christie was terrific and was still busting a gut for us, but his efforts were starting to show. His concentration was slipping and he was, in fairness to him ambitiously and positively, wandering and leaving us a bit exposed. Edwards still had it in him to push forward and with a fresh pair of legs in Banningan it would possibly have been enough in a tired midfield on both sides. Their subs were up front and at the back.

Far from thinking we should try and hold out for pens. With the three strikers on we always had a shout playing the long ball. Doolans goal showed what a predator he can be in a clustered box if it breaks to him. Thought Sammon was magnificent tonight, Sammon & Doolan shows real promise and Nisbet looked a bit out his depth but keen, confident and able.

They were there for the taking, but didn't look overly rattled. We had to get a grip, settle a bit. Got the feeling we rushed into ET, excited and a bit naive. Plenty can happen in half an hour. Maybe Archie forgot about the the Extra time extra sub allowance and Herrera certainly had an impact for them and us.

Anyhoo, doff my cap to the gaffer. We gave a good account of ourselves and an improvement in the head to head with the 'orribile 'uns after 4 straight league defeats last year. Still a few mistakes that could on another day have been punished and left us looking weak. But, We've shown we are a threat, have credible attacking options, strong decent depth in midfield and not too shabby at the back. We know we have more to give if injuries and suspensions are avoided.

Heids up. Nae shame. Nae fear. We're ****** Thistle, well win when we want. Bring on the Jambos.

:fan:

• Like 7

Only views I'm going to add are, I feel like we were genuinely competing over both games and still not at our best or strongest. Disappointment at the outcomes, but hopefully can kick on.

Second, and I'll count myself among the initial doubters - Sammon is proving to be a useful addition for us. Causing problems and his link up play was good.

• Like 1

Only views I'm going to add are, I feel like we were genuinely competing over both games and still not at our best or strongest. Disappointment at the outcomes, but hopefully can kick on.

Second, and I'll count myself among the initial doubters - Sammon is proving to be a useful addition for us. Causing problems and his link up play was good.

I wonder if we have an option to buy him in January?

THought Connor Sammon was fantastic, one of the best centre forward displays Ive seen from a thistle forward in a long time (yeh i know he didnt score), he held it up, brought others into play, forced some really good saves from their keeper, and made the equaliser. Thought he was great.

Elliot also had a really good game, as usual.

Barton...what has happened??

Just thinking of the opposition for a moment, their style of play seems almost to hark back to a bygone age - long balls down the wings and crosses into the box seem to be the staple, and it's hard to imagine, however good (i.e. expensive) their players are individually, that they'll score too many against a high class of opposition. (Scoring against our injury-ravaged defence, with Scully in goals, isn't really so much of an achievement.) The other trend that will surely get people's backs up in the end, and I would like to imagine will become obvious even to Specsavers' pals, is the constant diving, lying down for a rest and writhing about on the ground. It really is a habit that we can do without in Scottish football, and it would be nice to see Pansy, er, Pedro getting some bad press for encouraging it. Sadly, that seems unlikely.

• Like 1

It suggests a defensive vulnerability, which must surely be at least partially a consequence of having to change the defence almost every game. We came good last season when we had a settled defence. Missing key personel in Osman, Cerny and Booth doesn't help either.

There's a reason managers don't tend to voluntarily rotate defenders.

To me Osman and Booth are not missed.

Osman for a captain is anonymous, and to often doesnt get stuck in enough for a defensive midfielder is he 18 months into his 3 year deal got? signs papers, puts feet up.

Booths gives away to many freekicks is too lightweight and not quick enough to run up and down the line, i'd pick Elliott over Booth for LB any day.

Barton wants too long on the ball and is shrugged off the ball to easily, plays with his head down rather than looking about, too many side passes, he cant seem to find that defence splitting pass we need.

The progress is clear, that mob couldn't beat us over 90 minutes twice in a week and you can say last night wasn't our strongest team.

• Like 1

He's got to get his finger out. Rival managers watching the previous two episodes will target him as being a liability. The way he gave up on the 3rd goal last night capped a poor performance. His persistent misplaced passes put us under needless pressure and the amount of times he waits for the ball as if he has 30 yards of space is absolutely amazing. Must do much better.

• Like 2