Motherwell 30/9/17

Auld Jag

My point is get things in perspective and stop being overly negative.

After watching that yesterday it's hard not to be negative , also the best squad ever comments , not really sure where they are coming from, looked a better team last year with Lindsay , Welsh and dare I even say it Azeez in the team

The only player that we've got in and is an improvement on last year is Blair Spittal, so better team/ squad comments in my opinion are a total misnomer.

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 2

I think we've our strongest squad now, both on quality and strength in depth, but that's only on paper. The on paper thingy is best exemplified by Storey. Clearly Storey is ahead of Azeez on goals scored (tho' still nothing special) and is about as fast and strong. To date tho' Storey has done nothing with us that Ade didn't do just as well. That just about sums up other head to head comparisons from this time last season. By that I mean Sammon v Pogba, Bannigan v Welsh, McGinn or Nitriansky v Gordon. With the obvious exception of Spittal v Amoo the replacements are yet to better their predecessors. The loss of Lindsay in my mind isn't surprisingly that much a setback. True Lindsay has been a big loss to the squad but we've added to our centrebacks with Keown and Turnbull. So even without Lindsay it's easy enough to argue we're just as strong, if not stronger, in that area.

I try to take a positive outlook. Our injury list will shorten and new players (I include Banzo) will live up to my expectations. A horror show like yesterday certainly dulls my optimism but it's far from completely shattered.

• Like 1

I think we've our strongest squad now, both on quality and strength in depth, but that's only on paper. The on paper thingy is best exemplified by Storey. Clearly Storey is ahead of Azeez on goals scored (tho' still nothing special) and is about as fast and strong. To date tho' Storey has done nothing with us that Ade didn't do just as well. That just about sums up other head to head comparisons from this time last season. By that I mean Sammon v Pogba, Bannigan v Welsh, McGinn or Nitriansky v Gordon. With the obvious exception of Spittal v Amoo the replacements are yet to better their predecessors. The loss of Lindsay in my mind isn't surprisingly that much a setback. True Lindsay has been a big loss to the squad but we've added to our centrebacks with Keown and Turnbull. So even without Lindsay it's easy enough to argue we're just as strong, if not stronger, in that area.

I try to take a positive outlook. Our injury list will shorten and new players (I include Banzo) will live up to my expectations. A horror show like yesterday certainly dulls my optimism but it's far from completely shattered.

Think Lindsay's goalscoring threat is a miss in terms of set pieces and I believe Sean Welsh is a big miss with his tackling ability and keeping hold of the ball, still believe that wasn't one of Archie's better decisions to let him go , in light of Banzo getting back to fitness and Gary Frasers ongoing injury problems .

Think Lindsay's goalscoring threat is a miss in terms of set pieces and I believe Sean Welsh is a big miss with his tackling ability and keeping hold of the ball, still believe that wasn't one of Archie's better decisions to let him go , in light of Banzo getting back to fitness and Gary Frasers ongoing injury problems .

Reading between the lines releasing Sean Welsh is fairly academic. He still trains with us but if he was at full fitness would be playing for a club by now. And, yes, Liam's threat at set pieces is a miss.

The happy clapper society is still alive. Has to be said, you were very optimistic if you thought we were goin to score

As usual another negative post from you. Read back my post and don't alter my words to suit your pessimistic agenda.

If being a fan and supporter makes me a "happy clapper" that's a badge I'll willingly take.

• Like 1

As usual another negative post from you. Read back my post and don't alter my words to suit your pessimistic agenda.

If being a fan and supporter makes me a "happy clapper" that's a badge I'll willingly take.

The happy clappers were getting it last season - then we made the top six. It was widely acknowledged when the fixtures were released that it would be hard to collect points in the first 2 months. This was before we lost players to injury. Yesterday's display is the one game I think we've regressed against similar fixtures last year. We ran Aberdeen and Celtic a lot closer, took a league point from another team we lost all four games to last year, took a point at Dingwall, and had our usual up and down with StJ, going one round further in the cup than last year then losing 1-0 in the league. And the game with Hearts when we were chasing a winner, we lost that corresponding fixture last year when both teams were chasing the winner. A little perspective on our season.

We were bad yesterday, but apart from hibs, that can't be labelled too often this season.

And the team sitting joint top of the league were beaten by the same score at Fir Park within the last fortnight. We were really poor yesterday but Motherwell will be strong contenders for top six this year. And we were equally poor when we lost 2-0 to them last year. At a ground we have yet to taste victory this millennium.

The happy clappers were getting it last season - then we made the top six. It was widely acknowledged when the fixtures were released that it would be hard to collect points in the first 2 months. This was before we lost players to injury. Yesterday's display is the one game I think we've regressed against similar fixtures last year. We ran Aberdeen and Celtic a lot closer, took a league point from another team we lost all four games to last year, took a point at Dingwall, and had our usual up and down with StJ, going one round further in the cup than last year then losing 1-0 in the league. And the game with Hearts when we were chasing a winner, we lost that corresponding fixture last year when both teams were chasing the winner. A little perspective on our season.

We were bad yesterday, but apart from hibs, that can't be labelled too often this season.

And the team sitting joint top of the league were beaten by the same score at Fir Park within the last fortnight. We were really poor yesterday but Motherwell will be strong contenders for top six this year. And we were equally poor when we lost 2-0 to them last year. At a ground we have yet to taste victory this millennium.

No need to provide facts to placate the non fans they get there frills from the negative and the cash they have saved not supporting.

Worth bearing in mind folks this Motherwell team that has been dire for the last two seasons had almost 4,000 home fans yesterday we get 2,500~3,000 at best yet we have to compete consistently with that.

If you are criticising and not attending have a look in the mirror first.

Worth bearing in mind folks this Motherwell team that has been dire for the last two seasons had almost 4,000 home fans yesterday we get 2,500~3,000 at best yet we have to compete consistently with that.

If you are criticising and not attending have a look in the mirror first.

Now that you've got your customary personal attack on fellow Jags fans off your chest, could you tell us what you think about the team?

• Like 3

Always like to take stock 24hrs after the event but yesterday was woeful. Imo best Jags player was Edwards and he scored a 3/10. Defence looked hungover, Cerny a stinker and the non existant midfield. I Realise Barton is the boo boy at the mo but he does not help matters by standing disinterested fixing his hairband after gifting goal then running down tunnel at ft without a second glance to the near 800 jags fans.

People may disagree but this is one of the best Jags squads in my 35yr odd years of attending and yes injuries are crippling us however I say for Archie who I love to pieces that October is make or break. Lets galvanise and get behind the Jags in this vital month.

Now that you've got your customary personal attack on fellow Jags fans off your chest, could you tell us what you think about the team?

That's were we differ Barney I don't consider non attenders who only criticise my team as fellow fans.

Last night wasn't enjoyable as anyone of the 775 that were there would agree that was a rank poor performance which I certainly didn't see coming despite our poor record there.

The balance of the team is not there and in my opinion the central mid is the main issue as it doesn't offer either protection nor creativity. I personally would drop Barton for Bannigan or a deeper lying Edwards and revert back to just one up front with Erskine supporting them.

The real problem though is we need both Osman and Booth back in the team and that's not happening anytime soon.

The next 3 games are key and Archie needs to find a blend and system that suits the squad available otherwise we could be detached and he could be gone.

That's were we differ Barney I don't consider non attenders who only criticise my team as fellow fans.

Last night wasn't enjoyable as anyone of the 775 that were there would agree that was a rank poor performance which I certainly didn't see coming despite our poor record there.

The balance of the team is not there and in my opinion the central mid is the main issue as it doesn't offer either protection nor creativity. I personally would drop Barton for Bannigan or a deeper lying Edwards and revert back to just one up front with Erskine supporting them.

The real problem though is we need both Osman and Booth back in the team and that's not happening anytime soon.

The next 3 games are key and Archie needs to find a blend and system that suits the squad available otherwise we could be detached and he could be gone.

Thanks for that considered response Metz - much better than your previous efforts. Cannot say better than the above which nails it for me.

Reading between the lines releasing Sean Welsh is fairly academic. He still trains with us but if he was at full fitness would be playing for a club by now. And, yes, Liam's threat at set pieces is a miss.

By way of comparison - at this stage last season Lindsay had scored 1 league goal. This season Keown has scored 1. I actually think that we are more dangerous this season from set pieces with Spittals free kicks and corners

Can't really go as far to agree with that, Metz. Some of the non attenders may well have spent fortunes following the Jags in previous years. Obvious many can't attend due to their location. The non geographical valid reasons why other folk can't attend are numerous. That still makes them fans. Whether all they do is criticise the team to me is immaterial.

In a similar vein I still consider myself a Scotland fan even tho' I haven't attended an international for many a year. God knows how much I've spent following the national side in bygone years. I'll no doubt be adding my tuppence worth down the pub later in the week regardless of not being at the matches. What I won't be doing tho' is arguing with fans who have attended these games. My TV/media based views will always be secondary to having been at the game. I've a strong feeling that quite a few on here will disagree with my last sentence.

• Like 2

Come on - do you really think last season will be repeated?

Get real.

At the moment I have no reason to believe yet, it can't be repeated. The previous season also we had a make or break game against United at this stage and one that one too, only missing top 6 by a point.

I think it would be a pity if the current debate on the lack of on-field success and abysmal performance yesterday by all accounts (I was not in attendance so , for some, do not deserve an opinion, of course) decends into an "I'm a better fan than you" argument.

Edited by JeanieD
  • Like 1

There is no connection between 1971 and the last 5 seasons.

So you think that because we only have 3 points after 8 games we are down. Time and time again teams have recovered from poor starts. You need to get real

OK you said it - prove to us all when a team has recovered recently from such a start - apart from us last season which was exceptional. St Mirren didn't in 14-15 and Dundee Utd didn't in 15-16.

I didn't suggest we are down. But we have some damn hard work to do if we are to stay up - that's obvious.

Edited by Barney Rubble

OK you said it - prove to us all when a team has recovered recently from such a start - apart from us last season which was exceptional. St Mirren didn't in 14-15 and Dundee Utd didn't in 15-16.

I didn't suggest we are down. But we have some damn hard work to do if we are to stay up - that's obvious.

Four clubs have had three points after eight Premiership games since the playoffs were introduced in 2013 - all four went on to secure their safety at the end of 38 games. None were involved in the playoffs.