Killie Match - 14/10/17

Fawlty Towers

We were appalling across the park today, thought we were decent early in the season but the confidence seems to be draining away with each week we fail to win.

I like Paul McGinn but it's a tough ask for him to play left back for an extended period. I think we need to try and bring in an unattached left back at least short term. Bob Harris is still unattached so are Lee Naylor and Jamie Reckord. Not ideal but Booth and Elliott are miles away and we need a natural left back (unless Turnbull can play there without looking like Aero did at right back).

As an aside, infuriating we can't recall Penrice. It will make us think twice about sending guys out on potentially beneficial loans in future.

Not putting 7 subs on the bench is becoming a pet hate. Unless the young players were playing, guys like Fitzpatrick should be given a chance to be around the team. And if Fraser is fit enough to get a run out for the U20s on Tuesday, he should have been on the bench

What exactly is the point of not having a full complement of substitutes,is the manager trying to prove a point to the board?,it hands the opposition a physcological advantage and is just plain stupid.

Very disappointing stuff from us today - we really needed to pick up the points and we are now in a difficult position at the bottom of the league.

The main problems today were the midfield pairing of Barton and Edwards just does not work. Neither does the job of a holding midfielder and they did not offer enough protection to the back four. If Archie is going to continue with the two then Barton has to be far more disciplined and protect the back line better.

The other big issue is the two fullbacks. Paul Maginn is a good right back but looks very uncomfortable on the left side. Then we have Millan on the right-hand side. The two most important jobs of a fullback are too stop crosses into the box(he never did that) and put good balls into the opposition box(he never did that effectively either). I don't think he ran once down the line and got balls into the box. He kept playing balls in from deep areas and that was unlikely to be effective against a back-line so strong in the air.

Kille played narrow and they did they because the knew we would not pose a big threat down the flanks with the personnel we had available. That limited the space for players like Erskine and Spittal and made it hard for them.

The only positive out of the match is the performance of Mccarthy when he came on - he has to come into contention for a place in that midfield for next week.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 1

Just a few points:

Barton CANNOT play in the midfield again, we have to play him as a sweeper. Keown needs a boot up the a**e, he's been dreadful the last two games and Nitriansky just isn't cutting it, if we only had Penrice available McGinn could go back to right back. We'd probably be better with McGinn at right back and Nitriansky at left back. We should be playing McCarthy in the midfield alongside Bannigan(if he's fit). The team seriously lacks pace and width without Elliott.

Cerny

Devine Barton Turnbull

McGinn McCarthy Bannigan(Edwards if not fit) Nitriansky

Spittal Doolan Erskine

Edited by Knightswood Jag

We did not act or play like a unit today, is there a dressing room problem? Every other season we have bought unknowns with the exception of Stephenson and Archie has (generally) made them better, this season we have purchased a few well known (in SPFL) players, has this upset the balance (and wage structure) in the dressing room, reports of lawless throwing his toys out the pram after Motherwell, no leadership on the park, something is amiss. You do not go from last season to this season without something happening, the management is the same, the coaches are the same, the bloody injuries are the same, but we’ve brought in some bigger names, just a theory but something is wrong

That was bad today some players need to look at their lack of fight and professionalism Others need to ask themselves if they really deserve a wage for today’s performance . Poor marking , poor chasing back and zero creativity . Instead of making all the positive noise in the press trying making it on the pitch . Yes we are missing key players however the lack of heart is not good enough

Norgethistle, spot on. Why the dressing room is fractured is up for debate. There is an issue here within the team. Yes archie still has some credit but it's in danger of expiring. It's one thing to be beaten by a better team but today was like being back in the 80's with billy lamont at the helm, God help us all!!

A bad team "coached" by a bad manager, hopefully ex-manager, deservedly bottom of the league. We must be close to the top of the league in back passes and side way passes.

To have a good team you have to have first and foremost effort. This we do not have.

Next you need good organisation. . This we do not have

And lastly skill. This we do not have.

Kilmarnock will be laughing on the other side of their face, once we get our new manager, remember what I said, "He cant hold a certificate from Largs". We are so bad its not worth commenting on except to say, Killie had three players who could have played us themselves, Numbers 7, 11 & 21 not interested in their names but 11 & 21 had more ability than our whole team. To be fair to Archie all teams we`ve played so far will probably finish above us.

Throw a youngster into that team right now and you'll destroy his confidence.

Where is Banzo BTW?

Killie played with two 19 yrs old players today Adam Frizzel who scored and Greg Taylor , you've got to take a chance and find out if they're good enough , 100 per cent one of the problems with modern day football , players don't break through till 22 or 23 is an absolute nonsense in my humble opinion . Wasn't at Parkhead when Andy McCarthy made his debut but saw him play at Tynecastle when we were down to 10 men and we held on to draw the game. He worked his bollocks off that game and if it's a choice just now between him and Barton , it's McCarthy every time for me just now.
  • Like 3

The other big issue is the two fullbacks. Paul Maginn is a good right back but looks very uncomfortable on the left side. Then we have Millan on the right-hand side. The two most important jobs of a fullback are too stop crosses into the box(he never did that) and put good balls into the opposition box(he never did that effectively either). I don't think he ran once down the line and got balls into the box. He kept playing balls in from deep areas and that was unlikely to be effective again a back-line so strong in the air.

Nitriansky was very frustrating to watch. Just once, in the first half, he ran with the ball and put in a terrific cross. I guess that's what Archie has seen in training and was hoping for today. I'm sure the manager is just as frustrated as we are.

We did not act or play like a unit today, is there a dressing room problem? Every other season we have bought unknowns with the exception of Stephenson and Archie has (generally) made them better, this season we have purchased a few well known (in SPFL) players, has this upset the balance (and wage structure) in the dressing room, reports of lawless throwing his toys out the pram after Motherwell, no leadership on the park, something is amiss. You do not go from last season to this season without something happening, the management is the same, the coaches are the same, the bloody injuries are the same, but we’ve brought in some bigger names, just a theory but something is wrong

the only SPFL players we have got are Sammon and Storey? Both Sammon and Storey were deserved man of the match performances in the game against rangers

Spittal was from a championship team at only 21 is still clearly an improvement on amoo and his goals are the reason we are more further adrift

Turnbull, Nitriansky and McGinn were not signed from SPFL teams

Known was signed on a permanent obviously but worryingly seems to have regressed.

I’d be very surprised if the signings of 2 SPFL players therefore Sammon and Storey had upset the dressing room - Sammon isn’t even a permanent

What would say bannigan have to be upset about - the club stood by him through injury

Doolan and erskine - they are far too professional to bother don’t forget year in year out other strikers have been put in before him which he has seen off.

Rather there’s more concern about fitness- cerny is clearly not fit

Or maybe some are just not as good as we perhaps thought or are being played completely out of position Barton or Storey

I'm no less ragin this morning. Nothing to be enthusiastic about from yesterday's game. I'll keep hoping and supporting but we look like a doomed team. I completely get the arguement that we've been here before but unlike the last two seasons at this stage we were playing well, something has to change or we can call this a wasted season. Whether it's change of players (positions they play in coz we can't buy), or system change or management change i just dont know. First thing needing addressed is the defence and spine of the team, if Archie can't see he's playing too many players out of position then it's time he moved on. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I'm no less ragin this morning. Nothing to be enthusiastic about from yesterday's game. I'll keep hoping and supporting but we look like a doomed team. I completely get the arguement that we've been here before but unlike the last two seasons at this stage we were playing well, something has to change or we can call this a wasted season. Whether it's change of players (positions they play in coz we can't buy), or system change or management change i just dont know. First thing needing addressed is the defence and spine of the team, if Archie can't see he's playing too many players out of position then it's time he moved on. Grrrrrrrrrrr

to be honest the last 2 seasons until we picked up I don’t recall us playing well at all - remember some absolute chronic performances hearts beating us 3-0 then 4-1, struggling to get a point against 10 man accies, same old capitulations at fir park and Ibrox- ironically it was 2 years running a game against a Dundee team that kick started our season