Thistleweir 4 Years On

B C

I wouldn't read too much into that comparative squad data. Dunfermline Jag makes a good point. To enlarge on that you could have a fairly young squad augmented by a Luigi Buffon, a Totti and a Pirlo. Motherwell for instance have just shed the likes of McDonald, McManus, Lasley and McFadden so it's hardly surprising their squad's average age is reduced.

What is more relevant is our squad average age has been increasing since promotion (TJR provided that data). That is partly down to two way loyalty (many of the promotion squad are still here). That of course is relevant to the original post in so much that if young players were already coming thru the academy in numbers then we'd naturally have a younger squad. Without repeating myself I'd hope to see this redressed within the next two or so years.

I don't have enough time to wax lyrical like other fine posts on this thread.

You are more than entitled to have your say BC but i humbly submit your post is BS.

As others have already posted, you clearly don't understand how young players are brought on and how to integrate them into first team footy. It's a huge jump and one thousands of us young hopefuls never make. We ARE seeing progress, and the full benefit will be seen over the next 5-6 years.

It took the blue ugly sister nearly 10 years to produce Hutton from murry park/Auchenshitty or whatever they call it now. They got £9m which was more than the academy cost so one of those every 10 years would do just fine.

I don't have enough time to wax lyrical like other fine posts on this thread.

You are more than entitled to have your say BC but i humbly submit your post is BS.

As others have already posted, you clearly don't understand how young players are brought on and how to integrate them into first team footy.

A highly patronising post and it’s not BS, it may be if it does turn out to produce, but at the moment after 4 years we have the fewest under 21 players playing first team football in the SPL All facts I’m afraid.

I am fairly familiar with the youth process. I even know parents of boys that have played with teams at thistle-weir and although complimentary of the system, it ultimately doesn’t matter unless it produces first team players.

Today at Castle Grayskull we won’t fill a first team bench. You suggest 10 years 4 plus the 5-6 years before we reap the benefits. That suggests you are writing off all players currently in the system.

Nobody has a crystal ball so to look 5-6 years in the future isn’t practical. The ideology of the long term is admirable however so many other factors may ultimately affect this. It may actually benefit us if we do get relegated as the likes of Barton etc on decent money will have to be binned and hopefully progress home grown talent given a chance.

• Like 1

This is BS - "It may actually benefit us if we do get relegated as the likes of Barton etc on decent money will have to be binned and hopefully progress home grown talent given a chance.

Nonsense, you know what happens when we get relegated, it takes years to get back up. Plus we would lose the money for the youth setup we get from Celtic's champions league runs while in the Premiership.

• Like 1

When did we suddenly become reliant on celtic qualifying for the champions league?

I agree that it isn't easy to escape the championship but the club is a lot better positioned should the unspeakable happen. In years past the youth setup was the first thing to be binned. In the future we should be reliant on the youth setup that has seen a lot of investment. With our best potential currently out on loan, I don't think it will be long before we see them included in our first team.

When did we suddenly become reliant on celtic qualifying for the champions league?

I agree that it isn't easy to escape the championship but the club is a lot better positioned should the unspeakable happen. In years past the youth setup was the first thing to be binned. In the future we should be reliant on the youth setup that has seen a lot of investment. With our best potential currently out on loan, I don't think it will be long before we see them included in our first team.

not saying we are or should, but it's a shit load of money for staying in the Premiership that we would lose right away

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on here as the Elite academies have been announced for Project Brave

Does anyone know what the clubs/Thistle Weirs thoughts are regarding this? I’m sure we will have applied but failed to make some criterio

My immediate fear is this puts the academy at a huge disadvantage to the four Glasgow/Lanarkshire clubs who have been successful in terms of player recruitment; why would you not send your kid to Motherwell over us now?

• Like 1

Surprised there hasn’t been any discussion on here as the Elite academies have been announced for Project Brave

Does anyone know what the clubs/Thistle Weirs thoughts are regarding this? I’m sure we will have applied but failed to make some criterio

My immediate fear is this puts the academy at a huge disadvantage to the four Glasgow/Lanarkshire clubs who have been successful in terms of player recruitment; why would you not send your kid to Motherwell over us now?

Our league has more variation in opponents and doesn’t cost £600k a year to run, some of the clubs in this league can barely afford their 1st team let alone another £600k

https://ptfc.co.uk/p...rave-statement/

not quite sure how this reads? maybe someone in the know can explain?

If its not broke do not try to fix it. The club are obviously been prudent and quite happy to be in the second tier for now. This ELITE academy with its extra expense could turn out to be a damp squib , if the sfa,s record is anything to go by. I think thistle have played it right due to their position. Edited by mulguy jag
  • Like 2

Might be unfortunate this Project Brave thingy has come about at this particular time. On the other hand it could also prove useful in so much that we won't be part of the mistakes anything associated with the SFA are sure to make. As stated we can apply on an annual basis if/when we choose. Perhaps when our training facilities are up and running we'll be glad not being associated with this venture.

• Like 3

Project Brave or Project Foolhardy

Gerry and his team are bang on in their assessment. 20% of revenue is a massive cost and for what that we aren't already implementing ourselves?

This is the SFA looking at the world through emerald tinted glasses. We have a product that is already pricing itself out of existence and they want to re-arrange the deck chairs.

Let's ask John Lambie what he'd like to spend £600,000 and I bet he could finance the entire 1st team wages and have enough left over for the beer and buffet at the Christmas party!

• Like 3