Line Up V Dungdee

Paukea

Mcarthy played well in spells today unfortunately don't think he was fit. Tried to keep it simple in midfield with good short passing and link up play. Lawless was outstanding just for effort and determination alone, can tell the wee man hates getting beat. He's not a defender and nearly tied his legs in knots trying to tackle dundees winger but didn't give up once and always tried to get forward in support and show for the ball when we had it. Keown and Devine need to show more composure at the back they both dive in to tackles and. Blocks at the same time. I'm all for defenders throwing themselves in to block shots and tackle but they have to be smarter.

Edited by Thistle88

Delighted with the 3 points today after a performance that could have been punished by Dundee.

Although we're not a million miles away from an acceptable level, there is cause for concern at the back.

Keown and Devine are doing what amateur players do by pulling in the full backs to mark men they or Barton should pick up.

This in turn means that our wingers can be squeezed and have to sit deeper. I honestly don't know how Lawless coped for 93 minutes. It must be driving him crazy.

In addition to this, when Turnbull and in particular McGinn did go wide, their distribution was woeful.

In a 4 4 2, it is purely their job to mark the opposing winger and give the ball wo their own winger. Not get dragged in by over cautious centre backs and then cross the ball from the half-way line.

McGinn and Turnbull managed to make the easiest role on the park look the most difficult.

I give full credit to the 'forward' players who kept at it despite playing in front of a 4 men defence that wanted to mark 1 man between them and a holding player that doesn't mark anyone either.

Wish I'd saved this post for tomorrow, as was jumping for joy 20 minutes ago, having watched the 2nd goal 15 times. :D

Will take the win, but that was as abject a performance that I have seen from a Thistle team in many a year. The confidence couldn't be any lower, with no one taking any responsibility.

Thankfully mainly to Thomas we were never out of it but we were extremely lucky to win that, I'll take it and hopefully we kick on but if we continue to defend like today we are doomed make no mistake.

• Like 1

There but for the grace of God. Not since God sent the fog have we been so lucky, How did Cerny stay on the pitch after going through the Dundee player?? won`t ever moan about this Ref. Not only did we ride our luck, luck wont be able to walk right for days, the finishing from Dundee would have big Azeez laughing. I hope the monkey is now off our back because with the squad we`ve got, bottom is not where we should be. Hamilton will be the watershed or the final nail.....Found it interesting that Archie couldn't face the press but sent out Scooby Doo.....Maybe he's had a word in his ear??

There but for the grace of God. Not since God sent the fog have we been so lucky, How did Cerny stay on the pitch after going through the Dundee player?? won`t ever moan about this Ref. Not only did we ride our luck, luck wont be able to walk right for days, the finishing from Dundee would have big Azeez laughing. I hope the monkey is now off our back because with the squad we`ve got, bottom is not where we should be. Hamilton will be the watershed or the final nail.....Found it interesting that Archie couldn't face the press but sent out Scooby Doo.....Maybe he's had a word in his ear??

Theusual drivel from you despite the win. Archie deserves more but as usual nothing but disrespect from you.

• Like 1

That was a game that reminds you why we go to watch football...the sheer emotion release at the end of the game makes it all worthwhile. It was an open and entertaining match - we could have been 5-0 down at half time but we also made a few decent chances...the big guy Moussa having a hissy fit because he wasn't allowed to take the penalty & Cerny's brilliant save...Devine and Turnbull almost coming to blows...Dolan's sharpness for the equaliser...Cerny's miraculous stop...the increasingly wild tackles...and best of all, the last minute winner. Dundee would have been disappointed with a draw but over the last four seasons there have been numerous times we didn't win games we deserved to.

As I posted last week, in previous seasons, I never thought we would be relegated because we were better than several of the other teams in the League...Dundee were better than us today...their system gave us problems with them passing the ball out and their midfield running at our defence...no idea why they switched Leith-Smith and Moussa who had the beating of Turnbull and Keown early on. Our team is held together with sellotape and elastic bands just now...Lawless as wing back? The wee man stuck in well but he shouldn't be playing there. The defence is uncertain, the midfield again failed to give protection and Sammon does exactly what it says on the tin...a big, lumbering striker going through the motions. McCarthy looked a bit tentative and was wearing Balatoni's slippery boots - he also took a knock which slowed him down...in the absence of Osman, Bannigan & Fraser, he will have to learn fast. Erskine started well but ended up falling over his own feet...he was trying very hard though. Spittal looked a footballer but I thought Storey was awful...as with Edwards, redeeming a poor performance with a goal.

We simply have to hang in there until our injured full backs and midfielders recover...we should then have a decent squad. No shortage of spirit from the team today and good backing from a more patient than usual support. Very pleased for Archie!

Quite surprised by some of the comments.I thought it was an even game and for once we scored the last minute winner.Some of the Dundee antics of time wasting until we equalised and also constantly asking the ref to book our players were well punished with our injury time winner.Lets hope this result gives the team confidence because Tuesday is another big game and Hamilton are on a bad run.

• Like 2

Do we have any money left in the kitty for an emergency loan to cover at left back or have we used that getting Mcginn? Archie obviously doesn't rate Mcginn or Turnbull there and Lawless at left wing back isn't the answer. The young boy Beerman at Rangers looked half decent on the few occasions I've seen him on TV. I suspect if we did have any money left then Archie might have already tried to get someone in.

Do we have any money left in the kitty for an emergency loan to cover at left back or have we used that getting Mcginn? Archie obviously doesn't rate Mcginn or Turnbull there and Lawless at left wing back isn't the answer. The young boy Beerman at Rangers looked half decent on the few occasions I've seen him on TV. I suspect if we did have any money left then Archie might have already tried to get someone in.

Beerman ? No thanks bring Penrice back In January! Playing regularly in a decent young livi team ! I don't actually see why a lot of people have criticised McGinn I'd quite like to see him stay longer than his 1 year deal, the complete imbalance in our squad at the moment is brutal. I can't wait until booths back though for all the flak he's took not only is he missed at left back but our complete lack of urgency going forward sees him missed also. He's always up that left wing causing opposition problems. Lawless deserves a medal for effort today lol

It is funny how you see a game differently when you know the result. At the game I thought we were atrocious, although felt that Dundee were lucky with their goal and penalty with McCarthy slipping and a defensive clearance hitting off our player into their guys path. Another different defensive line up saw us struggle at the back again.

However, having watched the game on Alba, we played quite well going forward for 1st half hour, with some nice link up between Erskine, Edwards,Sammon, McCarthy and Barton and caused their defence some problems. We fell out of it though really until we scored, getting a bit of luck with Bain not holding on to McGinns shot and then Storey possibly being offside as the ball was played through to Doolan.

Storey was definitely off initially.

Watched it back on Alba late last night, great stuff from Doolan for both goals.

Lawless and Turnbull deserve credit for their touch and passes for the winner as well.

Barton takes a lot of stick for his work rate but I noticed on the footage he was still joining in with the attacks in the 90th minute. Also, when Spittal breaks clear in injury time, you can see Barton behind him urging the defence to get higher up the pitch.

Perhaps we are finally learning from our mistakes.

It is only one win but gives us a platform to build on.

Win on Tuesday and it'll give us some momentum as we approach a tricky looking November.

• Like 1

Will take the win, but that was as abject a performance that I have seen from a Thistle team in many a year. The confidence couldn't be any lower, with no one taking any responsibility.

Not saying we were great. But I definitely reckon we had two more abject performances this month alone.

• Like 1

The performance wasnt great by any standards but the difference in the teams fight from last week was amazing.

Cerny - true leader and should have been captain, saved us multiple times. MotM by a mile.

McGinn - had his worst performance in a jags shirt but it was his shot that led to our first goal

Devine - Shaky & Nervy but battled to the end

Keown - Shaky & Nervy but battled to the end

Turnbull - sat too deep allowing opposition to press. Also Shaky at the back.

Barton - first half he was defensively awful but good at pressing. Second half looked far better.

Edwards- first half great, poor 2nd half but grabbed the vital equaliser.

McCarthy - played well, was unlucky to be subbed but the change needed to be made.

Erskine - trying hard, possibly too hard, fell over his feet.

Lawless - stuck with his task, dug in, and played well defensively. Also big hand to play in winner.

Sammon - kept winning first ball but no striker to help him.

Subs

Storey - tried hard, scored the winner didn’t stop despite offside many strikers wouldnt have made that run.

Doolan - won us the game, two great assists from Doolan

Spittal - came on and gave McGinn a bit of relief at a time when we were being pinned back. Played well

Archies subs were spot on and made at the correct time. I just worry about us playing 1 up front at home as we never have any support. Dools and Storey should be given a chance to make partnership work.

What's the deal with the offside? If we accept that Storey was offside when original pass was played, but not when Doolan passed to him, should the goal have stood?

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a rule. So what is the rule?

Ps Referee was right to give Cerny the yellow and not the red, as the rule has been changed on this.

What's the deal with the offside? If we accept that Storey was offside when original pass was played, but not when Doolan passed to him, should the goal have stood?

It's not a matter of opinion, it's a rule. So what is the rule?

Ps Referee was right to give Cerny the yellow and not the red, as the rule has been changed on this.

Yes, I had to explain the new rule/interpretation to the guy next to me who was convinced that Cerny should have been off.

Metz and stuart adam are spot on, and agree with most that we had an element of luck but most important improvement was the fight and attitude from the penalty save to the end. Superb sub changes for a change, well chuffed for the players