New Arrivals

Paukea

I think Archie had decided that filling the bench isn't particularly important. Can't say I disagree either. You can only make three subs anyway.

Aye there’s no point having someone with absolutely no chance of appearing just sat on the bench for the sake of it. Better they get out and get some games, even if it is in the Lowland League.

Got to disagree with this.

I think the chance of some of the younger lads coming on and making an impact is probably very low, but there are a few reasons I think we should always fill the bench, even if it's with youngsters.

What if we lose 3 defenders during a match and only have, for example, Nitriansky as a sub? I'd rather have all positions covered (and ideally double-covered) on the bench than having to rely on formation switches/players being moved out of position multiple times in a match should that kind of thing happen.

Additionally, it would give the young lads experience of being around the first team squad on a match day, rather than just in some training sessions. You never know; they could pick up something valuable. Finally, development matches generally aren't played on the same day, and so they're never going to be occupied with a match and are always available anyway.

Archie obviously disagrees, but can't think of many other managers who feel the same as him. Look at Celtic and Hearts - their bench is full of teenagers most weeks.

• Like 2

Has anyone took any notice of how McGlaughlin has been getting on at Stirling? Whenever I watch the Dev games he looks like a good wee player and would be worth a shot in the first team, he doesn’t look any worse than the likes of Nisbet and Mccarthy and he has been banging in goals aswell.

The fact that so many are coming back from injury means quite a lot of upheaval in the team anyway and bringing in new signings just adds to it. So Archie needs to careful on who he brings in.

There are still problems with the side that I don't think will be fully fixed by the injured players coming back either. We don't have the right mix in the center backs. The loss of Liam has unbalanced the backline as we don't have that big commanding center back anymore. Barton has made a big difference at the back but if he gets injured then we have problems. We need a big right-sided center back - this is harsh on Danny Devine but if we could swap him in the window for a center half who can do what he does but win more headers then that's a positive move.

Also think we are not suited to playing 4 at the back with the current personnel - limiting our options.

Edited by Alan Murray