Random Suggestion: No Drawn Matches....

Jaggernaut

How about matches that end in a draw having to be decided by penalty shoot-out? Winner gets all three points. No longer such a thing as "a good away point." If you are still drawing after 90 min, you've now got the chance to bag (or lose) all three points!

The shoot-out was used in the early days of "soccer" in the USA, but not now, I believe. A range of views about it here:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2010/06/22/explaining-a-draw-to-the-non-soccer-crowd/

Not for me. I do think there is such a thing as a good point, and I think draws are an essential part of football. In fact, I'd never have introduced three points for a win.

Also reckon it would put immense additional pressure on players and managers, and they don't need that. I know that when we draw I'm just happy to escape to the pub.

If I were to make a rule change, I'd suggest that first half red cards should not take effect until half time (at least). I've always thought it unfair that a red card has vastly different effects depending on when it happens. If two competing teams both get a red, they have effectively both erred to the same extent. But if one is in the 1st minute and one in the 90th, one team is penalised far more. My suggestion would address this to some extent. With maybe some exception if it was the result of something crazy violent.

How about matches that end in a draw having to be decided by penalty shoot-out? Winner gets all three points. No longer such a thing as "a good away point." If you are still drawing after 90 min, you've now got the chance to bag (or lose) all three points!

The shoot-out was used in the early days of "soccer" in the USA, but not now, I believe. A range of views about it here:

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2010/06/22/explaining-a-draw-to-the-non-soccer-crowd/

Don't they have a similar thing in ice hockey

Slightly different but I've always thought a score draw should be valued higher than a 0-0. Hardly an exact science as I've seen entertaining goalless games and the odd borefest when goals have been scored. Just feel that teams shouldn't be rewarded for not scoring, or not as highly as a team scoring in a drawn game. Haven't thought it thru but either no points for a 0-0 or introduce 2 points for a scoring draw. Either way the incentive should be there for more entertaining football.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

http://worldsoccerta...n-soccer-crowd/

I suspect that there is a good reason why they stopped doing this in both USA and Japan.

Slightly different but I've always thought a score draw should be valued higher than a 0-0. Hardly an exact science as I've seen entertaining goalless games and the odd borefest when goals have been scored. Just feel that teams shouldn't be rewarded for not scoring, or not as highly as a team scoring in a drawn game. Haven't thought it thru but either no points for a 0-0 or introduce 2 points for a scoring draw. Either way the incentive should be there for more entertaining football.

Can't agree with this. I don't see why a 1-1 draw scould be worth more than a 0-0 draw at all. Particularly when a 4-4 draw is worth no more than a 1-1 draw. Football is as much about defending as attacking anyway. And as for you other suggestion (a 0-0 draw being worthless), this does not sit right. I can't accept in any circumstance that a loss is worth the same as a draw. I can't imagine shrugging my shoulders at the concession of a last minute winner, thinking it makes no difference anyway as it doesn't even cost us a point.

I'm not tempted to make any changes, but if you were to, I think bonus points for big wins - e.g, a win by 4 goals- (and possibly penalising big losses) makes some sense. I can see why a 4-0 win, say, could be considered more valuable as a 1 goal win.

• Like 1

If I were to make a rule change, I'd suggest that first half red cards should not take effect until half time (at least). I've always thought it unfair that a red card has vastly different effects depending on when it happens. If two competing teams both get a red, they have effectively both erred to the same extent. But if one is in the 1st minute and one in the 90th, one team is penalised far more. My suggestion would address this to some extent. With maybe some exception if it was the result of something crazy violent.

Never really thought about that. Your idea looks reasonable to me.

If Doncaster or Regan are reading then perhaps the ideal solution is - in the event of a draw of any kind there should be an award of a half point to each half of the old firm? (Just in case any of them are not having a great season).

That should ensure that the preferred league outcome is maintained and most likely also finally swat away any pretenders to the throne.

The reason the bonus-point works in rugby is that it is designed to encourage a specific type of points-scoring (i.e. tries, and by extension, free-flowing play rather than a kick-fest).

You can't do that in football because a goal's a goal whether it's a worldy or it stumbles in off the arse of the defending centre-back.

I think there is some evidence that awarding 3 points for a win has correlated with an increase in the number of goals scored in football matches, but I'd leave things as they are.

So if I’m a defender and get a red in the 1st 5 minutes (which I think is unfair) for denying a goal scoring chance, I can then go about the next 40 minutes fouling and maiming who ever I want (as long as it’s not violent) as I know I’ve no other punishment available to me

If Doncaster or Regan are reading then perhaps the ideal solution is - in the event of a draw of any kind there should be an award of a half point to each half of the old firm? (Just in case any of them are not having a great season).

That should ensure that the preferred league outcome is maintained and most likely also finally swat away any pretenders to the throne.

And that would be a draw in any game in any league would appoint a half point to both Rangers & Celtic?

I can see them going for this, but they may (in order of fairness) make it a full point to each of the OF

So if I’m a defender and get a red in the 1st 5 minutes (which I think is unfair) for denying a goal scoring chance, I can then go about the next 40 minutes fouling and maiming who ever I want (as long as it’s not violent) as I know I’ve no other punishment available to me

Any other "cardable" offence committed during those 40 minutes could be an automatic further 2-match ban.

Nah. You'd still be subject to cards, same as anyone else. And if you got another red then your team would go down to nine at half time.

Alternatively, the offending player does have to leave, but he can be substituted until half-time. There are ways around it if you don't focus exclusively on the individual, but on the team size as a whole.

I definitely think it's fairer. I also think it's good for the game. An early red can ruin a game. And referees can be reluctant to punish offences that deserve a red early in the game, whereas this way they wouldn't go unpunished.

To me it's quite an easy fix and logical, all positive, don't really see why it's not the rule.

Nah. You'd still be subject to cards, same as anyone else. And if you got another red then your team would go down to nine at half time.

Alternatively, the offending player does have to leave, but he can be substituted until half-time. There are ways around it if you don't focus exclusively on the individual, but on the team size as a whole.

I definitely think it's fairer. I also think it's good for the game. An early red can ruin a game. And referees can be reluctant to punish offences that deserve a red early in the game, whereas this way they wouldn't go unpunished.

To me it's quite an easy fix and logical, all positive, don't really see why it's not the rule.

So what other player goes off if the same player gets a red card twice? Who determines what constitutes whether a player goes off or stays on until half time? Imagine the vendettas if a player got a red for a bad foul or off the ball incident?

I agree a red card early in the game can ruin it, and refs do change the way they react to other fouls etc, but your idea is just crazy imho. A more sensible idea, but not likely to happen, is the use of sin bins

So what other player goes off if the same player gets a red card twice? Who determines what constitutes whether a player goes off or stays on until half time? Imagine the vendettas if a player got a red for a bad foul or off the ball incident?

I agree a red card early in the game can ruin it, and refs do change the way they react to other fouls etc, but your idea is just crazy imho. A more sensible idea, but not likely to happen, is the use of sin bins

Manager decides who else comes off at half time. Tactical decision. (This only happens in my first option)

No one decides whether the player stays on or goes off til half time. That's dictated by the rules. I've given two options and the rules have to choose which one to go for. All I'm saying is you could make the rule either way, I.e a rule that says the players stays on and is subject to more cards, or a rule that says the carded player goes off and gets replaced.

Regarding the vendettas, that's an argument for my second option, I.e the player has to be replaced by a 'temporary substitute' til half time, so that the offending player is removed from the game. It's not an argument against my idea as a whole, I.e. The offending team keeps 11 players till half time.

Seriously, my idea is great. I'm convincing myself the more arguments I get against it, and the more I drink.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1