Team V Qos

Paukea

After a successful winter break which saw 3 of the injured lads return, who do we go with on Saturday?

I say a 3-5-2

Cerny

Keown Barton Devine

Dumbuya Osman Erskine Woods Booth

Doolan Sammon

Thoughts?

I don’t see Dumbuya, Osman and Booth all being thrown in together as soon as this. Maybe Penrice will start?

Penrice could well be involved given he's played against Queens twice this season. Returning players often are held back from artificial surfaces. Some will not agree with the policy but I don't think Archie will risk any player for this match over the league. Scully might be in for Cerny for instance? Whatever, I believe it will be harder than ever to guess the line up on Saturday.

Gotta say I'm not that confident about the result. I wouldn't be upset about us needing a replay. Realistically a win for Queens wouldn't be regarded as a major cup upset and our away form is poor. On the plus side I doubt this will be exactly a stylish game and, because our last few victories have been scrappy but deserved, we're better placed these days to "win ugly".

I think we’ll see Tam C a back 5 of:

Booth, Penrice Barton Keown Mcginn

and we’ll see Sammon and Doolan upfront

the big decision is who to fit in midfield with 3 spaces up for grabs, it’s between Lawless, Spittall, Erskine, Woods, Osman, Edwards, Mccarthy, maybe even Sammon aswell if he decides to play Storey up top. I’ll say we will start with Woods, Edwards and Spittall.

I attended Morton vs Falkirk on Saturday. If QOS are the same standard as these 2 we should win well.

It’s a great chance to score some goals as long we actually try to score which we don’t usually away from home(till it’s too late).

So I agree with the above team but with Erskine in for Edwards who should play vs Celtic.

Archie just needs to make them believe they are far better than the opposition.

Let’s not go for 0-0. We would just lose.

On the subject of replays, anyone got any idea of the date for possible a replay bearing in mind we have 2 full midweek cards for the SPL after the cup weekend?

According to the SFA website, if the game is postponed, or a replay is required, then this will take place on Tues.30th.January.

Meaning our game with rangers on Wed.31st would have to be rearranged.

According to the SFA website, if the game is postponed, or a replay is required, then this will take place on Tues.30th.January.

Thanks, I had looked there and never saw it. Hope it's not postponed as I can't make the 30th

Edited by jaggy

Re plastic pitch I remember 2 years ago when Muzzy was returning from his first injury absence. We played Hamilton away and he was put on the bench, perhaps to protect him from the surface. Sean Welsh was forced to play right back and that was a disaster. Muzzy was brought on, Sean went back to midfield and the two of them were instrumental in our fightback to victory with Matthias Pogba, Kris Doolan and Ryan Edwards all lending a hand as well.

Would love to see Muzzy play. His smile would light up Dumfries. Maybe he would smile even more if he knew that he had made it into my all-time (or at least post 1996) Thistle team, pipping Steven O'Donnell and Jean Yves Anis to the right fullback/wingback position. Now that is a trio of exciting right backs!

Also factoring in Fraserburgh getting a replay v Rangers or that match being off would also cancel our league game v them. Hope not also as changed shifts to make the 31st.

That's not quite the whole story PTD.

The reason Sean Welsh played right-back against Hamilton was that Liam Lindsay got injured in the warm-up, whch meant a last minute reorgansation that saw Gary Miller move into centre-back, Sean to right-back and our resident kangaroo promoted from the bench. The situation was further compunded by Freddie Frans being absent due to a family bereavement.

I completely agree the first twenty minutes was a disaster, but that was more due to the original line-up having to be binned rather than Sean Welsh playing at right back. In the end, big Pogba and wee Ryan saw that it worked out all right, and Gary Miller came onto a stormer in central defence.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

That's not quite the whole story PTD. The reason Sean Welsh played right-back against Hamilton was that Liam Lindsay got injured in the warm-up, whch meant a last minute reorgansation that saw Gary Miller move into centre-back, Sean to right-back and our resident kangaroo promoted from the bench. The situation was further compunded by Freddie Frans being absent due to a family bereavement. I completely agree the first twenty minutes was a disaster, but that was more due to the original line-up having to be binned rather than Sean Welsh playing at right back. In the end, big Pogba and wee Ryan saw that it worked out all right, and Gary Miller came onto a stormer in central defence.

Brilliant memory, Barney, and thank you for filling in the gaps in my recollection. However, I do remember Muzzy coming on and helping to turn the tide. When was he introduced and whom did he replace?

I suppose my main point was that the intention may have been to protect a returning Muzzy from a potentially injury inducing plastic pitch, but that policy had to be overturned due to the pressing urgency of changing the flow of the game.

Will you be able to make the game on Saturday or will you be watching from afar? Dumfries is one of my favourite trips, but it looks like being a cold and snowy outing!

Yes, that Hamilton game was splendid.

Gary Miller. How we could have done with him this season!

QOS sounds like a great trip, just what scottish football is all about. Lets get all the tickets bought and all get down there to support the 17/18 Cup winners. Buy a programme... just in case!

• Like 1

Brilliant memory, Barney, and thank you for filling in the gaps in my recollection. However, I do remember Muzzy coming on and helping to turn the tide. When was he introduced and whom did he replace?

I suppose my main point was that the intention may have been to protect a returning Muzzy from a potentially injury inducing plastic pitch, but that policy had to be overturned due to the pressing urgency of changing the flow of the game.

Will you be able to make the game on Saturday or will you be watching from afar? Dumfries is one of my favourite trips, but it looks like being a cold and snowy outing!

From memory he came on around the 65th minute at 1-1 for a midfielder (Gary Fraser?) with Sean Welsh going back into midfield and Ryan Edwards pushing further up.

Dools came on for Pogba around the same time and set up our resident kangaroo for the winner. Fondly remember the mental celebrations with big Pogba racing down the track from the dug-out to join in!! Seem to remember moving Sean Welsh into midfield turned the flow in our favour, with Muzzy and David Amoo roasting a certain opposition full back called Gordon from there on in.

Will be listening from afar sadly. Hope the game survives the weather and it's a successful trip for all who are able to make it.

Edited by Barney Rubble

It's a plastic pitch, so I'm not sure we should be rushing the injured players back too quickly, however I think that Penrice has to start, probably at left wing back

Cerny

McGinn Keown Barton Devine Penrice

Spittal Woods McCarthy Erskine

Sammon

That is ....unless we sign a central defender today

Devine is suspended.