The Battle of New Douglas Park

jagfox

Trying hard not to sound too bitter but that has to be the worst refereeing performance for a couple of seasons. Diving, cynical fouls, pushing and pulling and honking foul throws seem to be fine if you were an accies player today but the opposite for thistle. How many bookings did we get for nothing fouls or dissent?  I lost count. The game had no flow because of the constant sound of mr Walsh's whistle. 

However the truth is that yet again we fail to convert our chances and lose another sickening late goal.  It can' be a coincidence that it happens so often and the management team need to take accountability for that and the result. 

Nothing saw today convinced me we are able to drag ourselves out of the relegation fight and not end up in the play offs. 

I can' wait for this season to end. 

Edited by kennymac29
  • Like 2

Totally spineless and the same problems for 5 years now.

Theres no way in a million years I'd back this crew of bottle merchants to go to middens like Greenock and grind out results week on in end in the 1st division, let along stay up in this league. Danny Devine wouldn't get a game for just about every team in that league. 

The arse has fallen right out of Archie's reign. There has always been cracks, but the roof has completely caved in now. 

36 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Cant see the manager being sacked at this time of the season.We were getting told by fans on this forum everything would be alright because of what has happened in the past /our injury list.The last 2 games we would have won in previous seasons.I will be delighted if I am proven wrong but unless something drastic happens we will not need to worry about giving up Firhill to the old firm fans next season.

I think we all know he won't be sacked. He should have went months ago. But even if we stay up we need a new man at the helm. Archibald has proven that he isn't capable of getting the best out of the best squad in years.  He should walk  in the summer.

Just in from the game and gutted again. If  Dumbuya is not going to take his man on or told not to take him on then Mcginn is by far the better option at right back. Archie took too long to hook Spittal and left it too late to bring Lawless on, and why was McCarthy playing last night when Woods was out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kennymac29 said:

Trying hard not to sound too bitter but that has to be the worst refereeing performance for a couple of seasons. Diving, cynical fouls, pushing and pulling and honking foul throws seem to be fine if you were an accies player today but the opposite for thistle. How many bookings did we get for nothing fouls or dissent?  I lost count. The game had no flow because of the constant sound of mr Walsh's whistle. 

However the truth is that yet again we fail to convert our chances and lose another sickening late goal.  It can' be a coincidence that it happens so often and the management team need to take accountability for that and the result. 

Nothing saw today convinced me we are able to drag ourselves out of the relegation fight and not end up in the play offs

I can' wait for this season to end. 

we will be lucky to even get that at the moment

12 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I think we all know he won't be sacked. He should have went months ago. But even if we stay up we need a new man at the helm. Archibald has proven that he isn't capable of getting the best out of the best squad in years.  He should walk  in the summer.

Summer's too late. New blood needed on and off the park.

I just listened to Archie's jagzone interview. The most cliche filled pile of pish ever.

didnt defend well enough, manner in which we lose goals, don't learn from last week, marginally better side, created a couple of opportunities, switched off, no excuse, bitterly disappointed, doesnt think the last few years matter in terms of late goals, all about switching off, played worse and won, can't afford to switch off, should have at least had a point, opportunities didnt fall to right players, defenders, not strikers, felt we caused them problems for much of the first half but lost our way slightly, were better in the second half, but just didn't happen, they had no threat from the wings, we've got to learn from it and focus on saturday, hopeful the boys can dig themselves out of it, enough in the dressing room

inspiring stuff!

Edited by Hankey

Thistle did not deserve to lose this match.  Had much the better of the second half, and with the exception of Spittal, who was invisible, there were no failures. Agree that Spittal should have been subbed earlier, and Erskine made a big difference when he made a belated appearance.  Could not see how their second goal was scored so can't comment on the defending.  The weakness today was in midfield and Osman and Spittal seem a bad  combination.  Edwards was outstanding, and yet again Dumbaya lacked confidence or fitness. 

There must be a reason why we lose so many late goals, and unless it's found and the problem sorted we will be relegated.

Just back in from Hamilton, same old story , no strong mentality in the team , too many lightweight players in the team ( Spittal, Edwards , Booth , Muzzy etc ) .  Osman is never a Captain , neither is Dools either, you're looking for a Captain at our level to gee up players , even make some decisions on the park as how the game is going .                              

Archies tactics even today were questionable , plays 3 centre halves today who are all essentially ball winning players but leaves Barton on the bench who makes a difference playing in a 3  as he can play out from the back and that undoubtedly is his best position. 

Archie's recruitment in the January window or lack of was a huge mistake even in terms of getting a freshness into the club, it all looks very stale to me.

If I were Archie just now , I would pick up the phone and offer Paul Paton a 6 month contract  , not the best player in the world but at least he's got a will to win and likes a tackle , I'm sure that will divide opinion but needs must.

3 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Thistle did not deserve to lose this match.  Had much the better of the second half, and with the exception of Spittal, who was invisible, there were no failures. Agree that Spittal should have been subbed earlier, and Erskine made a big difference when he made a belated appearance.  Could not see how their second goal was scored so can't comment on the defending.  The weakness today was in midfield and Osman and Spittal seem a bad  combination.  Edwards was outstanding, and yet again Dumbaya lacked confidence or fitness. 

There must be a reason why we lose so many late goals, and unless it's found and the problem sorted we will be relegated.

I’m afraid there was failures- surely would have been easier for keown and dumbaya to put the ball in the net than sky it over?

where was Devine for the first goal?

spittal is lost now - but second top goal scorer and joint top assists maker - so what does that say about the rest of the players 

the defence so soft - known, Devine, Cargil, booth all nice guys little fight

our captain - is he even interested now

6 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

Thistle did not deserve to lose this match.

I think we hear that too often... I wasn’t at the game but surely we need to be mentally tougher and show some bloody resilience and grind out results. The fact is 0 points from two games against teams around us where we were leading. 

Ross C for all they are crap right now will know we are susceptible and just a little bit “soft”

21 minutes ago, Hankey said:

I just listened to Archie's jagzone interview. The most cliche filled pile of pish ever.

didnt defend well enough, manner in which we lose goals, don't learn from last week, marginally better side, created a couple of opportunities, switched off, no excuse, bitterly disappointed, doesnt think the last few years matter in terms of late goals, all about switching off, played worse and won, can't afford to switch off, should have at least had a point, opportunities didnt fall to right players, defenders, not strikers, felt we caused them problems for much of the first half but lost our way slightly, were better in the second half, but just didn't happen, they had no threat from the wings, we've got to learn from it and focus on saturday, hopeful the boys can dig themselves out of it, enough in the dressing room

inspiring stuff!

We will get the usual interviews over the next week.We should be doing our talking on the park.We all know how important these games are do the players ? Or will they just want to jump ship if/when we go down?

6 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

I think we hear that too often... I wasn’t at the game but surely we need to be mentally tougher and show some bloody resilience and grind out results. The fact is 0 points from two games against teams around us where we were leading. 

Ross C for all they are crap right now will know we are susceptible and just a little bit “soft”

Over the season we have had fans making all sorts of excuses for our league position.In the past 2 games we have been in a winning position and if we could have held on we would be in a more comfortable place.We have now shipped 25points from a winning position this season.In the past these are the games we won and that kept us in the league,now we have lost them we will need to pick up some unexpected points or we are down.

14 minutes ago, ironfist said:

It’s not been a good season and today was another disappointing result, but there is still much to play for. Archie should not be immune from criticism but supporting him and the team now is the only thing that will make a positive difference before the end of the season.

This Saturday without any doubt is the teams last chance to show they are up for it.We have had 2 chances to turn it around and failed.The team getting a win on Saturday is the only thing that will make a positive difference.Lose and we are down.I also think the manager and team have been well supported.Over 800 Thistle fans at Hamilton today.

Edited by Auld Jag

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

This Saturday without any doubt is the teams last chance to show they are up for it.We have had 2 chances to turn it around and failed.The team getting a win on Saturday is the only thing that will make a positive difference.Lose and we are down.I also think the manager and team have been well supported.Over 800 Thistle fans at Hamilton today.

A win on Saturday would be very important undoubtedly. There are, though 10 games still  to go! 

forget about the ref forget about the pitch

that performance today was depressing to sit and watch

no leadership in that side  no composure on the ball

the midfield  were never in control at any time today in this match

tactically inept, every time we managed to get possession the ball was hoofed aimlessly up the park

i think that was their first win in five and they have two games in hand

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Alan Archibald has been well supported by the board and has been afforded more patience by the Thistle support than any other manager in the last 18 years that I have been going. 

It’s been a dreadful season and he hasn’t been able to get the most from his squad of players. The same mistakes happen consistently. Surely it’s hard to argue his case.

Kept an eye on the result waiting in the queue for the empire state, thank **** theres an unscaleable fence at the top. Thats a horrendous result especially off the back of last week. I think by reading the majority of the posts on here its finally starting to sink in how much trouble we are in. The text commentary said it all, to lose a goal immediately after taking the lead is criminal. Oh dear

57 minutes ago, ironfist said:

A win on Saturday would be very important undoubtedly. There are, though 10 games still  to go! 

The goal difference, which is the best indicator of final position in the division while games are still to be played, stands at -21, the worst in the Premiership. Even Ross County's record is better, and ours has been improved immensely by Sammon's goalscoring. We've played much of the season without a consistent defence and now we're lacking fit, consistent midfielders; it's the management team's decisions that create these problems. When the management starts saying in public that players have not learned a lesson, that's a sign that the players are being scapegoated.

Unfortunately, the board did the dirty on the former biggest shareholders, the fans (in the form of the Jags Trust) and will now see itself bound to back the management it put in place, instead of making the hard-headed decisions that fans' backing would have allowed. It looks like a replay of the Bunnet era - too little, too late.