The Battle of New Douglas Park

jagfox

I mentioned this in a Killie post back in December ...

"We are, whether you like it or not, a bottom six team in premiership or top six in championship and a team that rarely flatters in any cup competition - given that we are effectively mid-range on that scale is no real cause for major concern on my part - Archie got us up and should be given the opportunity to get us out of this too."

Jags fan through thick and thin - I've been happy enough to large it up through the good times last few seasons ... now it's time for getting behind the team when pickings are lean. 

Mon the Jags :fan:

• Like 2

We are where we are purely and simply, because for a good part of this season we have been rotten.

Today was a case in point: probably on the balance of play a draw would have been a fair result. However, as any Jags fan will tell you,fairness and football good bedfellows do not often make. So it was today:  when you can't hold on to a lead for more than a minute you've really got to question any pretensions of professionalism. As the game wore on it became increasingly obvious that fortune would favour the brave. And quite simply that wasn't Thistle.

I remember thinking to myself as the Accies move developed that their going to score and  so they did! I could mention the weak defending at both Accies goals, but I won't.  I could mention  the almost complete lack of a goal threat or inventiveness in the middle of the park, but I won't. I could mention the fact that at no point today did we look like winning, but I won't.

I'm afraid that whatever anyone of a happy crappy disposition might suggest: we now look like the bookies favourite for the drop and in my heart of hearts I can"t find much reason for disagreement.

Edited by stillresigned

4 hours ago, ironfist said:

A win on Saturday would be very important undoubtedly. There are, though 10 games still  to go! 

Vital we win on Saturday imo.Since we have returned after the break we have been ahead in every league game apart from one,but we have only managed 4 points.So Saturday we must win and try and get an unbeaten run going.

Edited by Auld Jag

From the highlights: we had more than a few decent efforts, and no luck. Their winner just came from a stramash.... another sore one to take.

A few players look like they put in a good performance.

Got to keep the faith for a win next week.

Somebody wrote that Hamilton bring nothing to the Premiership. Maybe so, but I'd be surprised if supporters of other teams didn't feel that way about us. 

One thing we do seem to bring is "niceness;" guaranteed points for a handful of other teams, year after year.

1 hour ago, Alan Murray said:

A lot of people saying we are down – still plenty to play for and County in a worse position than us. If we can avoid losing next week that puts County is a difficult position.

A lot will depend on what Hamilton pick up in their games in hand.

Indeed County are in a worse position than us,but this game is in Dingwall and our away record is awful. And the last two results are showing that we don't seem to have the stomach for a real fight. Even a draw,while keeping automatic relegation at arm's length, it still makes us favourites for the play offs and do we think we can handle that pressure pot? I have my doubts.

18 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Indeed County are in a worse position than us,but this game is in Dingwall and our away record is awful. And the last two results are showing that we don't seem to have the stomach for a real fight. Even a draw,while keeping automatic relegation at arm's length, it still makes us favourites for the play offs and do we think we can handle that pressure pot? I have my doubts.

Can't disagree with any of that. Play-off could be very difficult if things don't go our way. Next week is huge. 

Would like to see the club put free buses on. 

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Somebody wrote that Hamilton bring nothing to the Premiership. Maybe so, but I'd be surprised if supporters of other teams didn't feel that way about us. 

Don't really want to put words into whoever wrote that's mouth but my interpretation would be more to do with entertainment/enjoyment, maybe even commercially than results. Put another way ask most fans/neutrals, result aside, whether they prefer watching a match, at Firhill or NDP I think I know what the answer would be. Not a case of sour grapes because if it had been us that got the late winner I'd still be saying the same thing. The chances of seeing a quality game of football at NDP is highly unlikely.  Couple that with Accies not having much of a traveling support then I don't believe they would be missed.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't really want to put words into whoever wrote that's mouth but my interpretation would be more to do with entertainment/enjoyment, maybe even commercially than results. Put another way ask most fans/neutrals, result aside, whether they prefer watching a match, at Firhill or NDP I think I know what the answer would be. Not a case of sour grapes because if it had been us that got the late winner I'd still be saying the same thing. The chances of seeing a quality game of football at NDP is highly unlikely.  Couple that with Accies not having much of a traveling support then I don't believe they would be missed.

Ultimately it’s about the team that gets the most points staying up and fair play to Hamilton on a lower budget if they do stay up

5 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

A lot of people saying we are down – still plenty to play for and County in a worse position than us. If we can avoid losing next week that puts County is a difficult position.

A lot will depend on what Hamilton pick up in their games in hand.

I must admit I was thinking we were down after yesterday and last week.But after looking at the other teams fixtures round about us (not including St Johnstone in it)maybe it is not quite finished yet.But I do think we need to win next week.Ifeel whoever loses(if there is a winner)next week will finish bottom with Hamilton and the winner fighting to stay away from the play off spot.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

You could also add in the ridiculous way they treat away fans, taking half an hour to process a mere 800 supporters into the ground, with a result that many missed the first 2 goals. Not surprisingly the debacle at the end of the match has shifted focus away from the stewarding shambles at the beginning.

19 hours ago, stillresigned said:

I'm afraid that whatever anyone of a happy crappy disposition might suggest: we now look like the bookies favourite for the drop and in my heart of hearts I can"t find much reason for disagreement.

I think it's more your negative disposition rather than the bookies that would convince you we are certain for the drop.

Theres still a lot of football to be played regardless of next Saturdays result there will be many key games that will decide the final positions. If the quality in the team shows itself over the remainder of the season we will be ok if they bottle it we won't. I defy anyone at this point to be able to call which way that will go even after the last two results.

4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

You could also add in the ridiculous way they treat away fans, taking half an hour to process a mere 800 supporters into the ground, with a result that many missed the first 2 goals. Not surprisingly the debacle at the end of the match has shifted focus away from the stewarding shambles at the beginning.

I got there at 2.15 or so and it took us until 3.20 to get in the ground. Missed both goals and had to pay over the odds as the guy said 'I've nae change, pal.'  No programmes anywhere. Added to that, we decided not to get a pie until half time in case we missed any more 'action'....just for my boy to get to the counter when the 'nae hot food left' sign went up. THAT, on top of the result and the fact that watching the Jags at NDP is like watching a game at an industrial estate with the game played on a big green carpet, left me rather fuming on the way home. Absolutely outrageous for a professional club.

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

I got there at 2.15 or so and it took us until 3.20 to get in the ground. Missed both goals and had to pay over the odds as the guy said 'I've nae change, pal.'  No programmes anywhere. Added to that, we decided not to get a pie until half time in case we missed any more 'action'....just for my boy to get to the counter when the 'nae hot food left' sign went up. THAT, on top of the result and the fact that watching the Jags at NDP is like watching a game at an industrial estate with the game played on a big green carpet, left me rather fuming on the way home. Absolutely outrageous for a professional club.

I'm also not disputing i waited in the queue for longer than normal when there was only 15 folk in front of me but I also was there for 2.15 and was seated for 2.30.  I did notice a ton of folk streaming in at about quarter past three but i definitely did not recognise any of them from waiting next to me an hour earlier. 

As someone who lives in Hamilton I used to try and defend them against the critics but, hour long queues aside,  I felt the lack of professionalism was more on the pitch than off it. Labelling yourself a family club yet allowing freedom of local burnbank bams to shout and behave as they like is bad enough but to claim for about 10 penalties for handball and the blatant pulling back of players when almost clean through three times has at least allowed me to realise I will never take my kids there to learn about footballing values. 

As someone said earlier we are too nice, and it will cost us our place in this league. 

Edited by kennymac29

3 hours ago, P-R said:

Not denying the admission to NDP was the usual shambles but I was there for 2.45 and in the ground for 3.05 so not sure how you took over an hour to get in to the same bit.

I am wondering if the poster meant that he arrived at 2.50 rather than 2.15. That would square with finally getting seated approx 3.20. I arrived at 2.40 and got in just after 3.05, which is pretty close to your timings. When I had got half way up the queue, they finally opened the other turnstiles and I decided to stick rather than twist, but in retrospect that may have been the wrong call. At least I was in just in time to see our penalty kick awarded and dispatched.

The area to the left of the ground (as we faced it) seems to have been a permanent building site for at least 5 years. Any idea what is supposed to be happening there and when?

With defeat in the curling followed by the loss at NDP, I though that it was going to be a disastrous sporting Saturday, until the egg chasers brought some unexpected cheer.

Suspecting it would be the usual chaos I left the pub early simply because I can't be arsed queuing . Arrived about 2.30 and still took me 15+ minutes to get in. That would be tolerable if there was an exceptionally large away support. Those eejits don't even display the prices outside the ground, which if they did would speed up things.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

10 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

Sounds truly lousy. Don't know if it would make any difference, but an e-mail to them might be worth it.

Anyone who thinks the fixtures and injury list has not affected our performance is being unrealistic.Whilst I think is squad is one of the strongest we have had individually ,sadly that has not translated into team performances.No doubt some of that is the responsibility of the manager but in the last few games we have missed chances that we should have taken.Do we expect Archie to come running on to score? And looks like a perfectly good goal disallowed on Saturday.All we can do is grit our teeth and get on with it.

• Like 1