Thistle vs Aberdeen - Game On

jagfox

A very welcome unexpected point. Elliot should have had MOTM in my opinion. We've really missed him whilst he's been recovering. Was immense today. McCarthy very good also and should feature in far more games. 

Lots of good crosses into dangerous areas from Storey but nobody trying to get on the end of them. And that's a worry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackpool Jags said:

Mon Thistle. Let's prove the anti-Thistle mob on this forum wrong. 

How some people can get themselves stimulated by relentlessly mocking our club just shreds my faith in humanity, or at least certain dire  sections of it.

Ok, half time now and The Jags level. That won't half piss off the Thistle haters.

We Are Thistle - now, then, forever and ever!

No offence man but you are a turd! Anti Thistle mob??? Nobody on here is anti thistle. Some of us are just pig sick of performances this season. Today they team played with heart and fight and for once there was no fear of chucking it away. I just hope we keep the same team next week and don't change it around.

Really pleased today. Few weaknesses, Tam had a great first half save, Elliot was excellent on the right and we were solid in the middle of defence. McCarthy deserved his place and my MOTM was Woods who has been a great acquisition. I thought Storey was very creative and big Conor fought for everything. The two subs also did a great job.

To get out of our place in the league we need two things, good players and fighting spirit. I have no doubt we now have a better squad than any in the bottom half, but more importantly we clearly demonstrated the latter today. Performances like this every week and we'll be fine. Well done all 13 who worthy of wearing the shirt today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

No offence man but you are a turd! Anti Thistle mob??? Nobody on here is anti thistle. Some of us are just pig sick of performances this season. Today they team played with heart and fight and for once there was no fear of chucking it away. I just hope we keep the same team next week and don't change it around.

I salute your obvious class, Pinhead. 

The tackle to prevent an open goal following Cerny's first half save was my moment of the match. I think it was Christie, who I think was our best player this season til he got injured, and our best player again today.

No question that the last ten minutes against Dundee were hugely expensive and has set the mood ever since. Essential that the players and fans alike get over the gloom and can be positive for the remainder of the season. Hopefully today takes us a step towards that. I felt better after today's game.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

Lawless was being brushed off the ball too often and should have been hooked to be replaced by Edwards' energy in the first half. Why are Archie's substitutions always well behind the game? Does he really have no-one watching the game from the stand, or no camera feed? After it was over, he was congratulating himself on the radio for game management (!) but against an Aberdeen side with a poor performance, it didn't look as if he wanted to win - unlike the team, it must be said.

Oh, and they should all have been on shooting practice during the fortnight past, but that looks like another missed opportunity. With a proper shot, Storey could score much more often; with a right foot capable of shooting, Lawless might have scored.

Aberdeen are meant to be the third best team in Scotland,but today imo they looked like a fellow struggling bottom 6 team.Also as I got back to my car I put on the radio just in time to hear an ex Aberdeen captain on radio Scotland slagging of Thistle fans for celebrating a 0-0 game.

29 minutes ago, joe the driver said:

The same guy said that the most exciting moment for Thistle fans was when “Christie pulled down Erskine” , but Erskine made a meal of it and that’s why the ref never gave it 

Heard that too-thought it was poor from miller. Hadn’t taken the red tinted spectacles off

A dreich day with driving rain and a sodden pitch...but it was a poor quality game with both sets of supporters a bit quiet. It's been a strange season...I'm not sure that I have actually seen us play well this season  but in the home games against Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen, I didn't leave Firhill thinking they were better teams that us.  Aberdeen were less impressive than any time I have seen them since we were promoted - one shot on target speaks for itself.

I have never been a fan of Christie Elliot but he was playing well before his injury and  had an excellent game today.  Booth struggled in the first half  though he did improve in the second...but credit to the entire defence - other than two chances in the first half,  Aberdeen didn't look like scoring...even in the last 5 minutes.

Woods and McCarthy did a lot of grafting in midfield  and matched the highly rated Dons midfielders...young Andy's performance did make me wonder why he hasn't played more often particularly when  Barton & Edwards were so ineffective there.

We didn't look much like scoring either...I don't think Sammon had a meaningful touch of the ball in the whole game...Storey and Edwards will surely produce impressive sport science statistics with all their running but they repeatedly fail to play the right ball. I was a long way from the incident but when Erskine was going through,  I had no doubt it was a foul and the only question I had was if it was a red card...a little surprising that the ref waved play on.

I suppose it was a decent point...but the losses with those late goals in the two previous games have put us under real pressure.

• Like 1

Just checked the remaining fixtures for the teams round about us.Dundee are away to the current top 3 and home to Hearts ,cant see them picking up much from those games. If we can get some more surprise points in Edinburgh, dont lose at Ross county and beat Kilmarnock at Firhill (all easier said than done ) we could still salvage this season yet.But we cant afford anymore slip ups.

What a dreadful game.

who the hell was that ref? They don’t get any better!

i agree with Fearchar that Lawless should have been hooked much earlier. A liability nowadays.

There were several regulars missing today. Were they injured or is this the start of the clear out? Has there been some sort of crisis meeting?

we created nothing. We have performed better with a back 3 this year. Elliot (who deserved MoM) and Booth are better suited to this system with Barton at sweeper.

The  commitment was much greater today and I credit the central mids for a great shift. McCarthy grew into the game and was all over Shinnie who should have been booked for dissent on several occasions. He’s a strong lad with a wee bit about him. Woods too worked hard but should have been hooked earlier as he was knackered. 

Finally, it was great to see Christie back and being the best man on the park by a mile.

One point from a possible nine in the last three games......... and its true, how sad is it to be happy with a point at home, this negative acceptance to be delighted to lose two points at home permeates right through the club like the letters in Blackpool rock. One consolation was the for once Archie wasn't the diddy manager today, with the resources that McInnes has even Aberdeen cant give the old firm a game.........every point dropped from here on in cant be excused..........   

One more sad, happy supporter here.  Watched the game on BBC Alba, and while I disagreed with much of the commentary, the thing that impressed me was the fight that Thistle displayed.  Much of that came from Elliot, Woods and McCarthy, and if Archibald  drops any of those three from the Hearts game (other than for fitness reasons), then he deserves all the criticism he will surely get.  At times Thistle players were scrapping between themselves for the ball - what a change from the past two games and indeed the season to date.  I would play the same team against Hearts, in the belief that we could hold out for a draw if pressed, and with the pace of Sammon and Storey maybe score on the breakaway.

P.S.  The referee was incompetent.

Edited by eljaggo

14 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Lawless was being brushed off the ball too often and should have been hooked to be replaced by Edwards' energy in the first half.

Seriously? Lawless man marked McGinn for much of the first half. Followed him all over the park and doubled up well with Christie (from a defensive point of view at least).  Obviously playing to a plan.  Edwards with his tremendous energy is an important player undoubtedly, but Lawless, not ideal granted, is much preferred  in the role he was given in the first half.  Thought Archie got the substitutions (personnel and timing) about right tho' I was a wee bit surprised Doolan didn't come on for the last ten minutes or so.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eljaggo said:

One more sad, happy supporter here.  Watched the game on BBC Alba, and while I disagreed with much of the commentary, the thing that impressed me was the fight that Thistle displayed.  Much of that came from Elliot, Woods and McCarthy, and if Archibald  drops any of those three from the Hearts game (other than for fitness reasons), then he deserves all the criticism he will surely get.  At times Thistle players were scrapping between themselves for the ball - what a change from the past two games and indeed the season to date.  I would play the same team against Hearts, in the belief that we could hold out for a draw if pressed, and with the pace of Sammon and Storey maybe score on the breakaway.

P.S.  The referee was incompetent.

Sammon is not allowed to play against Hearts unfortunately 

Most points from the game already covered but I’m surprised to see Lawless getting some stick.

Thought he stuck to his task well and battled away. 

McCarthy definitely has potential but needs to work on his fitness. Looked assured on the ball though.

Elliot’s fitness and performance was incredible considering it was his first game back. 

2 hours ago, King Kenny said:

Most points from the game already covered but I’m surprised to see Lawless getting some stick.

Thought he stuck to his task well and battled away. 

McCarthy definitely has potential but needs to work on his fitness. Looked assured on the ball though.

Elliot’s fitness and performance was incredible considering it was his first game back. 

I agree. Stevie put in great service when filling in at LWB earlier in the season and has barely been in the team since Booth returned, so in those circumstances I thought he did ok. Certainly can’t fault him or anyone else for effort yesterday 

21 hours ago, Winter of '63 said:

A dreich day with driving rain and a sodden pitch...but it was a poor quality game with both sets of supporters a bit quiet. It's been a strange season...I'm not sure that I have actually seen us play well this season  but in the home games against Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen, I didn't leave Firhill thinking they were better teams that us.  Aberdeen were less impressive than any time I have seen them since we were promoted - one shot on target speaks for itself.

I have never been a fan of Christie Elliot but he was playing well before his injury and  had an excellent game today.  Booth struggled in the first half  though he did improve in the second...but credit to the entire defence - other than two chances in the first half,  Aberdeen didn't look like scoring...even in the last 5 minutes.

Woods and McCarthy did a lot of grafting in midfield  and matched the highly rated Dons midfielders...young Andy's performance did make me wonder why he hasn't played more often particularly when  Barton & Edwards were so ineffective there.

We didn't look much like scoring either...I don't think Sammon had a meaningful touch of the ball in the whole game...Storey and Edwards will surely produce impressive sport science statistics with all their running but they repeatedly fail to play the right ball. I was a long way from the incident but when Erskine was going through,  I had no doubt it was a foul and the only question I had was if it was a red card...a little surprising that the ref waved play on.

I suppose it was a decent point...but the losses with those late goals in the two previous games have put us under real pressure.

Agree with everything you said above but if we're going to win games and score goals Doolan has got to be involved , how many times yesterday was the ball flashed across the goal with nobody attacking it . I'm not a fan of Conor Salmon though I appreciate the goals he's scored for us recently , the way the team plays with the big centre forward upfront is one dimensional with the ball getting launched and the team trying to pick up 2nd balls and with the amount of goals we've scored this season I'm not so sure it works with our midfielders getting very few goals .