'Peak Thistle'

PaleGreySky

What are everyone's top 3 Thistle moments? I'll go first.

1 - The 2 minutes or so at Ibrox when we were beating Rangers in the cup in c.2007/2008 after Damon Gray's goal. The rendition of OLAS was about as loud as I've ever heard.

2 - The celebrations in the Thistle end when Billy Gibson's deflected free kick went in in Peterhead in injury time of the playoff final.

3 - 1-0 vs Morton in 2013 or 2014 in front of 9,000 odd at Firhill.

Other contenders:

Doolan's injury time of extra time equaliser in the Challenge Cup final, when Moorhead had missed a penalty moments before. Great celebrations in the Thistle end. I still like watching the youtube videos.

The Thistle away support at Ayr in the cup quarter final in about 1999/2000. Huge away support of 3000+ for what was a 'big' game at the time. Away end sold out and so I ended up in the home end.

4-0 at Broadwood in about 2007/08.

Alex Burns equaliser in the League Cup at Parkhead in about 2003.

All good stuff.

1The rendition of Red/n/yellow army after we won the league in the Star and Garter .  

2 Alan Hansen rolling in a last minute penalty to win the game 4-3 against the current buns

3 Geordie's winner in the last minute a porkheid. Best away Thistle support ever.

Edited by angry gaz
link

1.  vs Forfar at Firhill when game ended 0-0 in 92 to secure promotion (especially when ref did not award them stonewall late pen) and going home with bit of the Firhill grass.

2. The Metz trip albeit a lot of that hazy.

3.  Beating Morton 1-0 at packed Firhill.

Could add league cup final in 71 but was only 6months old so memory not that good.  And as for future memory yet to happen I will go for beating Dundee Utd this May in premiership play off.

1) The equaliser at Peterhead in 2006, probably didn't feel like that for a goal again until Griffiths' second free kick against England last summer. Also such a crucial bit of luck, that ball doesn't go and and who knows what another season in the 3rd tier would have done to us.

2) Geordie Shaw's 2nd at Parkhead in 1992, was the first time I'd seen us play either arse cheek away from home and we won.

3) Christie Elliott at Airdrie in 2013- it probably wouldn't have mattered if we'd lost that game given Morton also lost that day and we were 5 or 6 points ahead of them having beat them 3 days earlier, but to score 2 goals in the last couple of minutes to all but clinch the league? And also mathematically relegate Airdrie? Oh yes.

Others: I didn't enjoy the Morton game at all until the final whistle, was such a nervous night. The Dunfermline 5-1 game that season was probably as good as I've seen a Thistle team play in a big game.

In this spell in the top division probably Hearts away in the first season, at half time we looked done but Fraser's rocket onwards we were excellent

Lindau hat-trick at Stirling, a rare case of Thistle doing it the easy way in glorious sunshine in front of an expectant crowd.

The 3 other wins over the OF that I've seen and not mentioned above.

Shaggy's freekick at Inverness, and crazy driving up and down the Highlands on the darkest, wettest and windiest midweek night in history.

Chris Erskine's burst of wonder goals in the promotion season-lob v Falkirk, volley v Airdrie and slicing through the Falkirk defence again.

That 2-1 Cup replay win at Dundee mentioned above. A pulsating game from first whistle to last against a team then packed with expensive star names.

And if I am allowed a 4th, the moment that Billy Gibson's free kick somehow landed up in the Peterhead net must be the most extreme negative to positive mood swing ever.

Edited by partickthedog

12 hours ago, Ancipital said:

1) The equaliser at Peterhead in 2006, probably didn't feel like that for a goal again until Griffiths' second free kick against England last summer. Also such a crucial bit of luck, that ball doesn't go and and who knows what another season in the 3rd tier would have done to us.

In hindsight the Billy Gibson free kick and the Ritchie penalty are arguably two of the most crucial goals in our recent history. I say hindsight tho' I feel a lot of us  knew at the time the sheer importance of getting out that division, hence the sheer relief.

Special game to me is our 3-0 win over Dundee in 1962 (?).  That was the year the Dees won the league with that great side that included the likes of Gilzean,  Ure, Hamilton.  Wee Neil Duffy got a couple of goals that day and of course the Jags went on to famously be top the league for much of the following season. Was a youngster back then and thought we'd maybe not always be challenging for league titles but at least regularly beating whoever the champions were.

1. With 10 minutes to go at Hampden, Bobby Houston putting Thistle one up in the Scottish Cup semi final of 1979 against Rangers.
2. Gerry Britton dancing all over Firhill after putting Thistle 3 nil up over Rangers, effectively sealing safety for the Jags in May '93.
3. Geordie Shaw's late winner at Parkhead in '92. Davie Irons a revelation at centre-half. "Thistle are back, Thistle are back, hello, hello!"

1-2  to the Jags at Parkhead.

2-5  to the Jags at Tynecastle .

The Metz Experience.

and of course.... That free kick by Scott Paterson at Inverness. 

I still remember the rain water coming off the back of the net in slow motion as the ball smacked home

as though it were yesterday.   

It's what keeps you going week after week.

• Like 1

1.  North stand stamping their feet to cries of  "Eeesy , eeesy"  as Thistle went 4-up 23 October 1971.  Was standing just below in the North terracing.

2.  North stand stamping their feet to cries of  "Eeesy , eeesy"  as Thistle went 4-up 23 October 1971.  Was standing just below in the North terracing.

3.  North stand stamping their feet to cries of  "Eeesy , eeesy"  as Thistle went 4-up 23 October 1971.  Was standing just below in the North terracing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice to read through the posts on this thread.

Things are tough at the minute but the lows are what make the highs so sweet (no matter how rare they are!)

That is something that an Old firm fan will never feel, something that sets fans of the smaller teams apart.

As someone else has already said, its what keeps you going back every week.

4 hours ago, Harrybriscoe said:

1-2  to the Jags at Parkhead.

2-5  to the Jags at Tynecastle .

The Metz Experience.

and of course.... That free kick by Scott Paterson at Inverness. 

I still remember the rain water coming off the back of the net in slow motion as the ball smacked home

as though it were yesterday.   

It's what keeps you going week after week.

That was some wet night up at Inverness. Match nearly didn’t go ahead due to standing water. A long drive home but a happy one!

28 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Damon Gray cup game at Ibrox, which was 10 years ago yesterday.  

Just looking back on that game I think Harkins is the only Jags player that night still playing full time football. I didn't think the Rangers team was any younger than us and there's 7 or 8 of them still playing at a high level. 

49 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Just looking back on that game I think Harkins is the only Jags player that night still playing full time football. I didn't think the Rangers team was any younger than us and there's 7 or 8 of them still playing at a high level. 

Thanks to the power of Google, of the deceased club's 15, only McCulloch, Thomson, Dailly and Sewer Rat are no longer playing professionally (Cuellar's still playing in the Israeli league at 36).

As far as I can see, from that Jags squad only Tuffey, McKinlay and Harkins are still playing professionally. As you say, only Harkins of those is likely to be full-time.

What a great thread in these dark days. Well done PaleGreySky.

1. Metz. Never experienced anything like it before and probably never will again. From when our bus pulled into town and seeing Jags fans f***ing everywhere to the Metz fans parading us back into town after the game. Special mention to Nicky Walker for dropping his beer.

2. Parkhead '92. My first game at either Bigotdome. Amazing support that night. Had a friend over from Buffalo. He couldn't believe the singing that night. John Lambie's Red & Yellow Army.

3. A goal from a man born in '92. Stephen O'Donnell at Tannadice. A glorious five touch move including a sublime back heel from the wonderful Lyle Taylor.

Special mentions to:

A volley. Not just any volley. Gerry Britton's volley.

Higgy for thumping the ball into the Hearts net (again, a big assist from Lyle Taylor) to herald wild scenes, cap a great second half come back and keep us up.

Ray Farningham's sweet strike that started the rout. John Brown, John Brown, What's the score?

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, Jaggernaut said:

1. League Cup Final, 1971.

2. Promotion game at Love Street, 2002

3. Gibson's goal at Peterhead

Other moments:

Scottish Cup win, midweek at Dens Park; Britton and Andy Gibson

Thistle 3, Sevco predecessors 2, 1971

Thistle 1 Morton 0 in our most recent promotion-winning season.

Thistle 3, Sevco predecessors 2, 1971 - was that not 4-3 ?

First peak Thistle was beating Premier League St Mirren 3-1 In a cup replay at Love Street in 1988/89 (?).

Second peak Thistle must have been the twists and turns of the promotion season of 1991/92 although I didn't particularly enjoy the Forfar game, especially when Gary Whyte was felled by Jim Duffy :lol:

Third peak Thistle winning the Tennents Sixes in 92/93. Took the edge off a wee slump in form and gave the players the lift to carry them over the line.

Edited by jagfox

Had to think long and hard about number one but Geordie's double just shades it.

1. Celtic 1-2 Thistle. George Shaw scores two as Jags take huge support to Celtic Park.

2. Ramsdens Cup Final - Doolan's equaliser. Definitely my favourite moment in recent history, even although we ended up on losing side. A rollercoaster of a final few minutes.

3.  Christie's winner at Airdrie, 2013. Hugging people I had never seen before in all my days supporting the team. 

Other contenders were Jim Melrose equaliser in injury time v Celtic in 1980, Billy Gibson goal v Peterhead, the final whistle v Forfar in 92 and that time yer man Sabbath claimed the earth was flat.

1-2 v Celtic at Parkhead - biggest away support barr Rangers my Celtic mate says he's ever seen.

Dundee at Firhill when Geordie Shaw scored 4. Think it was 6-2 or 6-3?

Dundee away 1-2. Isaac English scored as we leap-frogged Dundee to go top of the 1st Div.

Special mention as we christened the Motorola Stand and beat Motherwell 2-3 after being down 2-0 at half-time. 1992ish.