Ross County 3/4/18

Auld Jag

26 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Of course he knows what his best side is, what a fckin ridiculous statement. The reason he might not be able to play it is due to various circumstances, injury, form, opposition.

I'm not too sure he does.  Back 4 or 3 CBs?  We've flipped that a few times this season regardless of opposition.  I don't see why, if you knew your best side, the opposition would then prompt you to field a weaker side.  That's closer to ridiculous to me. 

31 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Of course he knows what his best side is, what a fckin ridiculous statement. The reason he might not be able to play it is due to various circumstances, injury, form, opposition.

So why play Elliot at LB/LWB instead of one of the natural players for that position?

Why keep Doolan benched?

Why persist with Osman?

We are not relegated yet, and still have a reasonable chance of survival, given the remaining fixtures and that we play County at Firhill.

However, the likelihood of Alan Archibald turning this team around, changing his approach, selection and  decision making during games is equal to the square root of feck all.

To let him continue until the end of season would send the wrong signals to the players, who need a good kicking from the Club - this should be done today by Maxwell, since the two managers are clearly incapable of doing that.

If Archibald is allowed to continue, and by some streak of good luck (and I would contend that he has had more than his fair share of that) we stay up, it's a pound to a pinch of salt that the Club would hail him as our saviour and keep him in place.

We need a fundamental change in the way we play to attract fans back who have left because of the dire, attritional football Archibald has provided.  The team that was promoted played fast, open football that was great to watch, but it's clear that was a legacy from previous management - we need to get back to that style and make Firhill an enjoyable place to watch football once again.

I suspect that the Club will now canvass the opinion of the Weirs as to what should happen next, since the present circumstances put them in a difficult position with respect to the training ground investment.  They have been the reason the Club's finances have been sound, but they will want to take a long term view that gives them some assurance that the academy approach is being recognised - something that has not happened to date under Archibald.

• Like 1

I don't subscribe to the view that Archie's (and Shaggy's for that matter) lack of animation in and around the dugout has any bearing on our performances. As pointed out in other threads there's a lack of effective leadership on the field. Certainly in the positions, midfield and central defence where leadership is at its most effective. The lead by example ethos appears to be missing from the more senior players in these positions. Take the deep defending in too many games this season as an example. Managers at all levels tell us there's little they can do change that from the sidelines. What's required is a strong character(s) on the field with a bit of nous to change things around. Where the manager is to blame is in not having that sort of leadership on the park (in the squad?). Ironic as in many ways Archie was that type of player/captain.

btw ....Be great if all we needed was a manager that jumped around like a madman. Long as he didn't jump around with his arms folded as he'd just look like a Russian dancer.

• Like 1

I don't think he knows what his strongest team is. I don't think any of us do. I think the injuries through the first half of the season didn't allow any consistent team selection to develop. Most seasons by the time you get to October you know your first choice team. That didn't happen this season and I think we've continued to suffer as a result, so that even as the squad got stronger, the team wasn't there. You could ask everyone on this site what our first team selection should be with everyone fit, and you'd get a hundred different answers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jaggy said:

So why play Elliot at LB/LWB instead of one of the natural players for that position?

Why keep Doolan benched?

Why persist with Osman?

Maybe booth isn't fully fit or after his last couple of displays Archie thinks he's done hee haw to merit starting.

Doolan is injured, has been all season, he needs an operation, which he's getting in the summer. Added to that, our forwards are so lacking in movement off the ball, he prefers storey to Doolan if playing alongside Sammon. Storey should give more movement off the ball.

Osman I've no idea and one I can't understand, folk say Osman hasn't discovered last season's form. I'd happily argue he was shite last season too. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Osman I've no idea and one I can't understand, folk say Osman hasn't discovered last season's form. I'd happily argue he was shite last season too. 

A few seasons ago (when we finished with + goal diff) just about everyone was raving about our back line. I maintained then it was far more to do with Abdul's tremendous form than to do with the likes of Frans & Seaborne. A couple of seasons back same argument only including Cerny alongside Abdul in the good form stakes. Last season, tho' I don't think he was exactly shite, his consistency had  fallen somewhat.  

This season I thought like (I guess most of us) we'd be sound defensively when he returned. In the last 4.5 games he's played we've shipped 13 goals. Not of course singling him out for all the defensive errors but I think we can draw our own conclusion as to his effect on the team of late.  

7 hours ago, potty trained said:

At 4-0 the County players were still working harder, chasing faster and tackling harder than our team.

As highlighted on Sportsound, we have no leader in the middle of the park. 

Sammon must be thinking, why am I bothering, the guy chased down everything and got no support at all. So many times in the second half Elliott looked up to cross and Sammon was the only option in the box.

Scilly is so slow going down for the first. 8ve no idea what the hell he was flapping at for the second. But the fact the ball had made it that far across the 6 yard line unchallenged is worrying.

The third, Keown commits, out of position and is nowhere near winning the ball. 

The fourth Barton gets skinned.

As a team they were gutless. In the middle of the park powederpuff. Storey is a poor man's McConalogue. 

Pat on the back for Elliott and McGinn who didn't stop, but were continually pushed back and Cargill who at least tried to play the ball on the deck. As opposed to everyone else who just hoofed it aimlessly.

We have no centre midfield and no movement up front. 

Agree 100% with your analysis!

Even after a gap of nearly 24 hours Instill think I’m traumatised,  by having to sit through that execrable experience yesterday evening.

I honestly believe that apart from the odd game here and there: that we are certainly the worst team in the division and as such will deserve our fate when we are relegated at the end of the season.

of course, Archie and Co. could pull of a miracle and we could go on an unbeaten run till the end of the season? Unfortunately, in my 40 years of following Thistle miracles have been in fairly short supply and I don’t expect to see that change any time soon.

obviously, I’d be only too delighted to be made to look foolish or stupid!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, northjag said:

Feel so sorry for the fans that travelled. What time did everyone get back at?  Was there any problems with the snow on the way back?

Got home around 02:00 and the weather didn”t appear to have any impact on our journey time as far as I know.

Edited by stillresigned

13 hours ago, sandy said:

It was a horrible result for us, but we still have it within our gift to avoid relegation.

Whatever your views on managerial changes that may or may not be required, some of the vitriol directed towards Archie on this thread is appalling. He has served this club well over the years and got us into the top flight. How anyone can call him a ‘shitebag’ is beyond me. 

Agree with you that there should be no vitriol towards Archibald ,but find it a bit rich as in the past anybody who dare suggest he should not be manager has been given a hard time.You are also correct about avoiding relegation still being in our own hands,but last night was the third chance we had to pull away from a team or put pressure on the teams above us and failed.The other times being losing to Dundee and Hamilton,both after being ahead.We are fast running out of games and our form shows no sign of improving.

1 hour ago, northjag said:

Feel so sorry for the fans that travelled. What time did everyone get back at?  Was there any problems with the snow on the way back?

Just 2hrs ago however I did stay overnight in Dingwall.  Weather was ok.  County fans in pub afterwards said we were worst team they have seen this season :(  Sad but prob true.

I agree with PT.  We expected creativity and goals from Erskine, Lawless, Spittal and Doolan. They’ve all been garbage.  Ok, some may have been carrying an injury and Dools should certainly have started more often but we’ve had nothing from this foursome.

i don’t think anyone could have anticipated this.

Storey is just hopeless so poor old Sammon has been left without a supporting cast.

But Archie’s intransigence has resulted in the midfield disaster area.  Osman! He should’ve been booted out after the Dundee game. Continuing to play Barton there.  I could go on.

No sign of Penrice or McCarthy except vs Old Firm. And  dropping Booth who Is probably our best player.

This simply can’t go on. Archie should have taken the Shrewsbury job as we needed a freshening up. 4 years is long enough and he did well. But his time’s up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, watties wallies said:

Chris Doolan has said twice this year (jagzone) that he has recovered and that he is 100% fit and ready to play

Doolan is fit, probably not match fit due to lack of action but he’s mentioned at least twice on Jagszone and in papers he’s fully fit

8 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't subscribe to the view that Archie's (and Shaggy's for that matter) lack of animation in and around the dugout has any bearing on our performances. As pointed out in other threads there's a lack of effective leadership on the field. Certainly in the positions, midfield and central defence where leadership is at its most effective. The lead by example ethos appears to be missing from the more senior players in these positions. Take the deep defending in too many games this season as an example. Managers at all levels tell us there's little they can do change that from the sidelines. What's required is a strong character(s) on the field with a bit of nous to change things around. Where the manager is to blame is in not having that sort of leadership on the park (in the squad?). Ironic as in many ways Archie was that type of player/captain.

btw ....Be great if all we needed was a manager that jumped around like a madman. Long as he didn't jump around with his arms folded as he'd just look like a Russian dancer.

Cossacks. 

22 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

50-50 Chance of relegation? We are out and out favourites to go down.We have been totally humbled by the only team who was below us in the league.Before tonight Ross County had not won in 5games and not won any of their last 8 home games.Since we last won(January)we have played 8 games and got 2 points relegation form.Will you be saying you were wrong if we go down ?

If we go down I'll be devastated however I'm  not sure there is anything wrong with that.  It amazes me how you and others quote stats about a team who hadn't won in 8 games at home and who over 6 games we effectively need to better by 1 point yet we are certainties for relegation.!!  I know we are awful, we have a bad manager, a spineless  board, uninterested players etc, etc etc and to compound that problem County are suddenly all conquering.

It may just be a natural negative disposition that you and the others have that I don't share, honestly though  I just find it pathetic and tiresome and I certainly wont apologies for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Metz said:

If we go down I'll be devastated however I'm  not sure there is anything wrong with that.  It amazes me how you and others quote stats about a team who hadn't won in 8 games at home and who over 6 games we effectively need to better by 1 point yet we are certainties for relegation.!!  I know we are awful, we have a bad manager, a spineless  board, uninterested players etc, etc etc and to compound that problem County are suddenly all conquering.

It may just be a natural negative disposition that you and the others have that I don't share, honestly though  I just find it pathetic and tiresome and I certainly wont apologies for that.

I am as entitled to my opinion as you are yours.Unlike you I will not go on about fans being pathetic and tiresome.I am not sure how many Thistle fans can say anything that is not negative about this season.Here is a positive for you at least the last 3 games we haven't thought we were going to get something from the game only to be left deflated by a last minute winner against us.

Weird how different people get sensitive about different things. Personally I hate to see the fans dishing out abuse to players and management. But many do it freely, and quite brutally. Despite frustrations I always reckon that's a sure way to see us into a downward spiral where confidence is shot and things just get worse. Which no one wants.

On the other hand there are people on here who, I'm sure very genuinely, get upset when posters start insulting each other. Personally I couldn't care less about that. We're all prone to talking crap sometimes, and probably deserve a bit of abuse. Part of the fun I say. I don't really mind if people get called pathetic and tiresome. Even if it's me. We often are. 

Anyway. Meanderings. I'm not saying one's right and one's wrong. It's getting late.