New Management

javeajag

No finesse and little insight attached, but here's a list of Thistle's average starting elevens in competitive action from the last 50 or so seasons. 98.4% of birth dates are known from the period, any that are not have been ignored in such a way as not to skew the averages in any way.

My 2 minute 2 bobsworth...

In contrast to Archie's ever-rising ages, both McParland and Auld generally kept their (low) average ages steady. Lambie's preference was for the seasoned campaigner, but MacLeod seemed to pay the price for following the "Golden Oldies" strategy. The McCall / Macnamara era saw the average age drop dramatically,

2017-2018 – 26y, 7m, 14d
2016-2017 – 26y, 0m, 10d
2015-2016 – 25y, 11m, 23d
2014-2015 – 25y, 4m, 24d
2013-2014 – 24y, 5m, 30d
2012-2013 – 24y, 4m, 11d
2011-2012 – 24y, 8m, 21d
2010-2011 – 26y, 9m, 12d
2009-2010 – 28y, 2m, 3d
2008-2009 – 26y, 6m, 17d
2007-2008 – 26y, 0m, 26d
2006-2007 – 26y, 4m, 1d
2005-2006 – 26y, 5m, 20d
2004-2005 – 25y, 7m, 19d
2003-2004 – 27y, 1m, 15d
2002-2003 – 27y, 3m, 14d
2001-2002 – 27y, 3m, 11d
2000-2001 – 26y, 6m, 7d
1999-2000 – 27y, 8m, 21d
1998-1999 – 26y, 0m, 26d
1997-1998 – 26y, 1m, 1d
1996-1997 – 27y, 2m, 17d
1995-1996 – 28y, 4m, 25d
1994-1995 – 29y, 1m, 10d
1993-1994 – 27y, 6m, 29d
1992-1993 – 27y, 4m, 8d
1991-1992 – 27y, 8m, 2d
1990-1991 – 26y, 8m, 12d
1989-1990 – 27y, 9m, 25d
1988-1989 – 26y, 2m, 17d
1987-1988 – 24y, 9m, 19d
1986-1987 – 26y, 0m, 5d
1985-1986 – 25y, 1m, 24d
1984-1985 – 25y, 5m, 29d
1983-1984 – 23y, 9m, 26d
1982-1983 – 24y, 8m, 26d
1981-1982 – 25y, 5m, 8d
1980-1981 – 25y, 8m, 1d
1979-1980 – 24y, 11m, 16d
1978-1979 – 24y, 11m, 25d
1977-1978 – 24y, 1m, 14d
1976-1977 – 23y, 10m, 20d
1975-1976 – 24y, 1m, 25d
1974-1975 – 24y, 2m, 10d
1973-1974 – 24y, 5m, 23d
1972-1973 – 24y, 9m, 28d
1971-1972 – 23y, 9m, 28d
1970-1971 – 23y, 3m, 18d
1969-1970 – 23y, 11m, 6d

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 2

He has to go. Those of us who saw the warning signs in the run up to the winter break were berated by others, some of whom clearly see Archibald as being bigger than the club. He was given the biggest playing budget of any Thistle manager and blew it on the likes of Storey, Devine and Woods.

But the board don't have the balls to sack him, not whilst there are still some fans chanting his name and making banners.

He has to go.

The question now is who to replace him with? I have an awful fear that because Jim Duffy is out of a job thistle will go for him. That can't be allowed to happen.

Being realistic we will not be able to look at promotion for another 2-3 seasons as the club needs a clear out and to go and recruit a new core group of younger Scottish players. There is a big danger of back to back relegation. We really need someone with an eye for a player who can get us mid-table championship finish next year.

I would have Ian McCall back in a heartbeat. Failing that Jim Goodwin at Alloa could be worth a look.

"We deserved nothing from the game today" said our manager. Indeed, we deserved to be relegated. He won't survive how meekly we gave up our SPL status over the course of these two games never mind finishing 11th.  

I think Danny Lennon could do a job for us but maybe Goodwin is worth a punt too. Whoever comes in, we need to add some steel to what has been a fairly wimpish squad. Livi showed more desire and hunger than us. Both fit the bill IMO.

20 minutes ago, laukat said:

He has to go.

The question now is who to replace him with? I have an awful fear that because Jim Duffy is out of a job thistle will go for him. That can't be allowed to happen.

Being realistic we will not be able to look at promotion for another 2-3 seasons as the club needs a clear out and to go and recruit a new core group of younger Scottish players. There is a big danger of back to back relegation. We really need someone with an eye for a player who can get us mid-table championship finish next year.

I would have Ian McCall back in a heartbeat. Failing that Jim Goodwin at Alloa could be worth a look.

Agree 100%.

29 minutes ago, laukat said:

He has to go.

There’s not a chance Ian McCall would be employed by Thistle again, as I’m sure he himself would admit. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu

41 minutes ago, Big Col said:

He has to go. Those of us who saw the warning signs in the run up to the winter break were berated by others, some of whom clearly see Archibald as being bigger than the club. He was given the biggest playing budget of any Thistle manager and blew it on the likes of Storey, Devine and Woods.

But the board don't have the balls to sack him, not whilst there are still some fans chanting his name and making banners.

Those of you who “saw the warning signs” were the same ones who had spent the last four years berating Archibald while he led us to promotion and then continually improved us, so forgive me if I don’t thank you for being such soothsayers. 

This season has been dire and maybe he will go, but he deserves a hell of a lot more than some of the chants today and some of the abuse he’s received (and is receiving) online. He’s given us some fantastic years and should be remembered as one of our most successful managers ever, regardless of this year. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

There’s not a chance Ian McCall would be employed by Thistle again, as I’m sure he himself would admit. 

You may, of course, be right, but it seems unwise to put much faith in the consistency or commitments given by any board.

13 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Those of you who “saw the warning signs” were the same ones who had spent the last four years berating Archibald while he led us to promotion and then continually improved us, so forgive me if I don’t thank you for being such soothsayers. 

This season has been dire and maybe he will go, but he deserves a hell of a lot more than some of the chants today and some of the abuse he’s received (and is receiving) online. He’s given us some fantastic years and should be remembered as one of our most successful managers ever, regardless of this year. 

Delusional 

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Accurate

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

We as a club are not ruthless enough. Archie wasn't ruthless enough with the long term injured and ended up with a team of 'jobbing' English league 2 standard players. He tried for years to replace Doolan but he really needed to replace Lindsay, Lawless and Erskine. The board could have changed this at New Year but couldn't man up to do it. They could have either have sacked Archie, insisted he got a more tactically aware coach in or told him to recruit another central midfielder. Nothing happened for fear of bad press.

We need quick action as the new season is only 8 weeks away. However at this point we have a temporary General Manager, a manager that needs to go and a squad that needs cleared out. There is to my mind a very clear concern that we will struggle next year because of this. We need an experienced manager that can quickly recruit a competitive squad. There's not many of them about.

However you are probably correct and unfortunately that means they'll go with the cheap option in Jim Duffy. Still that'll play well with Jim's friends in the media and the club can sleep soundly knowing we've played up to our 'cuddly toy' image.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Auld Jag said:

When I came out of Firhill last October after watching us being outplayed, outfought and beaten by a Kilmarnock side who had sacked their manager and had the development team coach in charge I thought that Archibald would have been sacked,he wasn't.After the Kilmarnock game up to the winter break we played 13 games and picked up 17 points,if we would have kept that sort of points average going until the end of the season we would be safe by now.After the winter break despite the long awaited return of injured players our form plummeted again and we now need to win at Dundee to get into the play off.Imo if we were going to sack the manager it should have been after the Kilmarnock game but the run we went on after that it  is no surprise he wasn't.We as fans don't know who would apply for the job if we sacked Archibald but I would not like to see the likes of Duffy,Lennon or Hughes in charge.I now feel that no matter what happens this season that Archibald should still be in charge of Thistle next season but if we get relegated and we are not challenging for the league that should be the end of the road for him.He has said that this season he has learned a lot,so lets hope he has and no matter what league we are in Thistle get the benefit.Of course the board might feel different if we were to be relegated or Archibald himself might walk.

Glad I don't need to make the decision.As I said in this post I think October is when he should have been sacked.Now we are down,i am not sure what the best thing to do is but I really would not like Duffy or some other manager who has been sacked because he couldn't do it for another club.

• Like 1

We are all gutted and it's difficult to rationalise what has happened. Today I was happy with the line up, tactics and effort of the players. And yet we couldn't score against an average team. Our lack of goals, Dools excepted, is our major problem this season, although web might have escaped if we hadn't made so many defensive errors.

So do we sack the manager? I don't know. One, there is no obvious replacement and two, in his time Archibald has had four and a half good seasons followed by an awful one.

In summary I would be happy to give him another season or even half a season to show a big improvement but I'm not in the difficult situation which confronts the board.

Like others I'd like to thank the players, the vast majority of whom have tried their best, despite what this season's results show.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, smokiejag said:

We are all gutted and it's difficult to rationalise what has happened. Today I was happy with the line up, tactics and effort of the players. And yet we couldn't score against an average team. Our lack of goals, Dools excepted, is our major problem this season, although web might have escaped if we hadn't made so many defensive errors.

So do we sack the manager? I don't know. One, there is no obvious replacement and two, in his time Archibald has had four and a half good seasons followed by an awful one.

In summary I would be happy to give him another season or even half a season to show a big improvement but I'm not in the difficult situation which confronts the board.

Like others I'd like to thank the players, the vast majority of whom have tried their best, despite what this season's results show.

Sorry, if that’s them trying their best then they’re simply not good footballers...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laukat said:

We as a club are not ruthless enough. Archie wasn't ruthless enough with the long term injured and ended up with a team of 'jobbing' English league 2 standard players. He tried for years to replace Doolan but he really needed to replace Lindsay, Lawless and Erskine. The board could have changed this at New Year but couldn't man up to do it. They could have either have sacked Archie, insisted he got a more tactically aware coach in or told him to recruit another central midfielder. Nothing happened for fear of bad press.

We need quick action as the new season is only 8 weeks away. However at this point we have a temporary General Manager, a manager that needs to go and a squad that needs cleared out. There is to my mind a very clear concern that we will struggle next year because of this. We need an experienced manager that can quickly recruit a competitive squad. There's not many of them about.....

Exactly - and now the board is admitting that it has not prepared for each possible conclusion to this season, as  the rawest custodians of the club would know to do - most particularly, the one the club faces. Cuddly toys, indeed!