New Management

javeajag

4 hours ago, king of spain said:

Its not like we were unlucky to go down,we were a disgrace from day one last season and he never learned. I just cant see how in a few weeks he will suddenly.

1. Be able to coach a defence into some resemblence of one.

2. Not be utterly tactically nieve.

3. Recruit better than last seasons faillings.

4. Improve overall fitness in a squad that dies on its arse around 65mins in games.

5. Not stand by players who continually let him down (and refuse point blank in Penrice case to give him a chance)

I could actually list more but there really isnt much point, everyones aware of these.

Could not have put it any better 5 excellent points K.O.S.   As you say could list more but no point ...Watch this space it could come back to bite us on the bum......

20 minutes ago, sandy said:

Poor javeajag, nobody at the Club listened to his strident views on Archie. His gold-plated hotline to Firhill went unused. He feels unimportant now. Bless.

That's a disgraceful post.  Everyone bar you has been respectful of others' opinions.

Poor decision by the board. Easy way out. I wonder how much of the conversation with Archibald was written by the PR Dept.

Brave decision by Archibald. Going into this season he had close to 100% backing of the fans. By the end he had around 50%. If the team is struggling by Xmas he will be down to about 20% and life will be tough.  In many ways the championship is harder than the SPFL cos the teams are all roughly the same standard. The pressure would be intense with crowds dwindling and disgruntled fans jeering. I hope it doesn't turn out that way for him.

If I had been sitting in Beattie’s chair the targets I would have set him would be:

1.     At least once on Jagszone disagree with Michael Max’s interpretation of the game and actually give your own account of what went right and what went wrong and how you are going to fix what went wrong

2.     Just once when the team is playing badly unfold your arms,  pick up a plastic water bottle and rattle it off the nut of the worst player as you sub him. Show some passion and let the players know that playing shite is unacceptable

3.     Introduce a new element to training. Something we have never practiced before…set pieces! When you bring Sean Welsh back keep him well away from the corners

4.     Do a Neil Lennon style aeroplane across Tannadice when we beat Dundee Utd.

5.     Before you sign a striker talk to someone who has actually seen him get a shot on target.

Come on Archie, prove the doubters ( including me ) wrong. Lets batter through this league and get Firhill bouncing again!!                                                                                                   I'd love the big man to do it and see some Tynecastle style Archie tears of joy!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

Agreed but if he fails he’s blown the cash and we gave a team a new manager will want yo change 

the odds are against going up next season 

I would think there will be targets he has to achieve and who knows we might be getting for want of a better phrase a director of football who might assist with new players.Somebody said Jim Duffy was seen at Firhill on Monday,he has managed Morton in the championship for the last couple of years so we might see him coming in not as manager but in some other capacity.

7 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

'Stop punting long balls up to guys like Sammon and start playing the game on the ground the way we did when we last won the Championship'?

That would mean at speed and mostly in a forward direction, not the endless, listless, sideways and backwards passes in our own half that made up most of our game this season.

9 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

The thing is every likely candidate will have failed somewhere in their career. Or someone who has no experience at this level ? Is it better to put our trust in them ? and if so why ? Even Hopkin got Livingston relegated. 

Good point.

Appointing any manager is a risk experienced or not ......expecting Archie to get us straight back up is a risk as well and the odds I’m afraid are against that.....if he does it it will be a great achievement

not sure it was helpful to be so specific in public but perhaps they wanted to show they were being tough on him 

the key thing now is player recruitment 

• Like 1

As I said without us having someone willing to loose there shirt and inject tons of money there is no point in going for another manager if it's just the same old names. Both jealous and sympathetic for saints and Livvy fans. Jealous of the europhoria there end of season brought but sympathy for the league they are about to enter and toll it takes. It was this league and the attrition to stay in it that eventually drove our measured passing game out of the window resorting to more punt it up the park fitba. 

44 minutes ago, topcat said:

As I said without us having someone willing to loose there shirt and inject tons of money there is no point in going for another manager if it's just the same old names. Both jealous and sympathetic for saints and Livvy fans. Jealous of the europhoria there end of season brought but sympathy for the league they are about to enter and toll it takes. It was this league and the attrition to stay in it that eventually drove our measured passing game out of the window resorting to more punt it up the park fitba. 

very well put TC. We need to aspire to make the top league for financial reasons, but the reality is most of the football is poor and we will lose more games than we win. Saints & Livvy will have enthusiasm and excitement in theire first season, but it won't last

2 minutes ago, jaggy said:

very well put TC. We need to aspire to make the top league for financial reasons, but the reality is most of the football is poor and we will lose more games than we win. Saints & Livvy will have enthusiasm and excitement in theire first season, but it won't last

Spot on. Was talking to an old chum who is a saints fan last night. He's been going to see st mirren for 40 years so has seen more highs and low than most and he thoroughly enjoyed last season, same as we all did the year we went up. It's a joy to be promoted but the product if so different from the championship. 

It can be argued that there are better players in most teams in the top league but the style can be so boring. Our first one up was exciting possibly cos it was all so new but the last few seasons provided some really tedious games. I'm starting to get excited thinking about the new season but the last few close seasons, watching signings etc didn't fill me with glee. I'll still start the season hoping we go up though.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Appointing any manager is a risk experienced or not ......expecting Archie to get us straight back up is a risk as well and the odds I’m afraid are against that.....if he does it it will be a great achievement

not sure it was helpful to be so specific in public but perhaps they wanted to show they were being tough on him 

the key thing now is player recruitment 

I am not sure that there is evidence of the odds being against it. He has had one shot at getting us promoted and he did that.  Time will tell whether he has it in him to do it again. I think it is the right decision by the board. Come October/November, we will know whether it is working or not. If not, then will be the time to let him go and get someone new. We really don't want to be changing manager twice in season.

39 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Yep, unfortunately for them, it might last a couple of weeks. Their opening 6 or 7 games will see them playing Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts, if the SPFL keep to their insistence that when they draw up the fixture list they just give the promoted teams, the relegated teams schedule.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Yep, unfortunately for them, it might last a couple of weeks. Their opening 6 or 7 games will see them playing Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts, if the SPFL keep to their insistence that when they draw up the fixture list they just give the promoted teams, the relegated teams schedule.

I'll predict that both St Mirren and Livi do better against those teams that we have done.

7 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I am not sure that there is evidence of the odds being against it. He has had one shot at getting us promoted and he did that.  Time will tell whether he has it in him to do it again. I think it is the right decision by the board. Come October/November, we will know whether it is working or not. If not, then will be the time to let him go and get someone new. We really don't want to be changing manager twice in season.

Very few relegated teams have come straight back so on the numbers it’s a tall ask I’m afraid 

12 hours ago, topcat said:

You mean we didn't play the Partick Thistle way.