Kilmarnock 7/4/18

Auld Jag

11 minutes ago, Metz said:

What reality? Your not usually positive or you've just realised you aren't usually positive?

Realistic about the situation the team is in, how they're playing and the real possibility of relegation.

But you continue having pops at posters if it makes you happy.

7 minutes ago, Big Col said:

Realistic about the situation the team is in, how they're playing and the real possibility of relegation.

But you continue having pops at posters if it makes you happy.

Thank god you hung around long enough to predict relegation at the fifth time of asking. I hope for your sake this team doesn't muck it up and escape relegation that will no doubt spoil your holidays but look on the bright side you'll be back next year predicting the same.

2 minutes ago, Metz said:

Thank god you hung around long enough to predict relegation at the fifth time of asking. I hope for your sake this team doesn't muck it up and escape relegation that will no doubt spoil your holidays but look on the bright side you'll be back next year predicting the same.

What an odd fellow you are. Relax.

Just now, Big Col said:

What an odd fellow you are. Relax.

What no I hope we avoid relegation too, I'm happy to bitch at Archie next season as long as we are safe! Sometimes what we don't say says more than what we do! But since your an open book Big Col you really didn't need to say anything else.

In short:

Better performance.

We can’t do one touch passing. We can’t attack through the middle in numbers. We can’t turn a defence. We can’t do anything fast!

McCarthy - MoM by a country mile. Why has he not been played more

Spittal – waste of a shirt

Sammon – flying in the face of most folk on this forum but I hope he goes back to Hearts

Osman – What has happened to the player from 2 years ago. Needs dropped.

Cargill – does he deserve massive credit for walking round the pitch applauding the thistle fans at the end or does it just mean his agent has found him another club!!

Fans – Flat……I think we can still save things but there is a resignation that we are down. Who can blame them.

Manager – give him to the end of the season. However, there is a sameness about how we set up and play and our attacks are so laboured. We need points and he needs to figure how to mix things up and get forward and trouble opposing defences. The man’s a legend but If we get relegated he should go …seemples!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Winter of '63 said:

My half-time text report to a Thistle Fan in England read - Even Game- Dopey Goal - Osman having a nightmare - we just need a lucky break - don't think we will get it.

I can recall truly awful performances (both 0-4 defeats to Clyde) when it was clearly time for Whyte/Britton & Dick Campbell to go - today's performance was nowhere near that bad - in fact we played not too badly  -  some outstanding defensive blocks from Killie defenders, the ball not falling to a Thistle player in the box,  MacDonald handling outside the area meant we didn't get the draw we deserved . Although Steve Clarke'assessment that we huffed and puffed is accurate he did accept that his side was pushed back in the second half -  I can't remember a single threat to our goal from the  League's form side. 

It doesn't hide the flaws - our passing isn't sharp enough, our crossing was poor and we lack a goal threat. And what has happened to Abdul Osman?  He used to be an effective defensive shield but today he hardly won a header or tackle and his passing was dreadful.  Under no pressure, he let the ball run under his feet, from  the throw in he conceded a needless foul  and our defence fell asleep to lose another soft goal. I have reservations about Barton in midfield but  I  thought he should have replaced Osman far earlier. The Bench was not crammed with game-changers - Sammon was again ineffective and I would also have had Doolan on earlier (preferably at the start).  Andy McCarthy had an excellent game .

The whole Club - Board , Management, Players and Fans - have sleep-walked into a Relegation Paralysis and we desperately need to get a win from somewhere to break the spell. I'm not convinced the other teams in the bottom six are any better than us so I haven't given up on survival yet.  When leaving Firhill today, I heard someone loudly proclaiming that he wanted John Hughes in  - I'll never be that desperate.

On the contrary, reminded me very much today of Campbell’s last game in charge - I think a 1-0 defeat at Firhill vs. Airdrie? 

We repeat, repeat, repeat with Archibald and it isn’t working. The team and the results are his responsibility.

No blame to lay at the door of the fans though - we are, and always have been, second to none.

• Like 1

Didn't do a lot wrong today but not a lot right either. Goal was a shambles and osman is a shadow of the player he was. Only highlight for me was the performance of McCarthy. The more I see him play the more impressed with him I get. He constantly shows for the ball, he can see a pass and likes to mix it also. He needs to start every game from now on. 

2 hours ago, laukat said:

I don't often post but after wasting my time going to Ross County and seeing another loss today I feel compelled to.

In my opinion the key to poor results is the constantly changing team selections and formations. Best performance I have seen from Thistle this season was away to St Johnstone in January. We had a balanced attacking team that day in a 4-2-3-1 with game changing options from the bench. However that starting eleven has not been seen together despite all of them being fit.

Today was a reversion to 4-2-3-1 and you can see it suits us better than the 3-5-2 at Dingwall. McCarthy ,Booth, Lawless all did well today. Erskine started to show some flashes of what he is capable of so. However Blair Spittal should not have started. He is not premier league quality. Even his dead ball delivery from corner kicks today was poor.

I know Christie Elliot is a honest trier but I can't understand why we have 2 out and out right backs on the bench and he gets into the team in front of them. Personally I would have Dumbaya in the team everyday of the week. Whilst Elliot has pace Dumbaya has the ability to cut inside and take on a man . There were too many times today were Elliot got into a good position but didn't want to take his man in or get a cross in resulting in a passback to Osman who in turn passed it back to the Keown.  Every time the ball went to Booth we looked like we were going to move forward and that to me was the difference between a recognised attacking full back and a player trying to do his best in a position he is not completely comfortable with

So in my opinion not all was lost today. We can't afford to have mass changes to the team again and we need to build on some of the passing and interplay that was visible in the second half

That will be the manager then 

3 hours ago, Metz said:

Ok AJ you win a top flight team with only 2,600 home fans trumps a Championship team with no prospect of getting promoted.

Damn that Archie if it wasn't for him we would have a big crowd.

Championship game in question was a derby ,also Dunfermline on a good run and going for play off place.Our average home support this season is 2300/2500.Concidering our recent home form,not won at Firhill since we beat Ross County the end of last year,only picked up 1 point at Firhill this year and of course Tuesdays result.I feel 2600 home fans decent and I also feel the team got a good backing from the crowd.

"the key to poor results is the constantly changing team selections and formations"

I think you have nailed it in one Laukat.

If he ditches Osman and Spittal for the next game then I would run with whatever selection he comes up with and play the same team for the remaining games.

Might just work...it might not....but at least its not the status quo which is clearly not effective.

A really hard one to take. 

I thought at times we were a joy to watch. Playing beautiful one touch football and moving the ball about at pace. At one down it still felt we could get two such as the manner in our play. Come the last five I was just wishing so hard for a deserved equaliser.

Scully is not a top level goalie. Not yet anyway. His short play is terrible, moves the ball slowly and never puts a pass in front of the man.

If the rest of the team had half the desire and fight shown by Elliott, we wouldn't be in this mess. He fought for everything and was a huge threat going forward. 

Keown pinged some lovely balls out to booth but looks fragile defensively. No where near the no nonsense ball winner of last season.

I don't think Cargill, whilst similar, is a patch on Turnbull. Did his best, but some rush of blood moments in the second half.

Booth linked up brilliantly with Lawless, but all too often his final ball is shite.

Folk complain Barton looks lazy. Osman is the epitome. So slow and half hearted. A yard off the pace. Looked from the NS he was having a go amat Elliott after he himself had put a wayward pass out of play, summed him up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keiththejag said:

First reaction on seeing the team. Osman.. seriously? No Doolz. Wtf is going on.? Archie is doing his best but his best is simply rank rotten. Used to be good to watch. Now just pure shite

Woods injured so naturally he had to start Osman.

Killie have two big thugs for centre halfs do naturally he went with Sammon. 

We weren't shite to watch yesterday. 

Playing Sammon yesterday played into their hands as he was easy to mark with little movement either from him or players trying to pick up second balls, the best way in my opinion is to try to move their centre halves around a bit , that and the fact that Sammon couldn't trap a bag of cement didn't help.

• Like 1

Didn’t think there was much in it yesterday. Missed a couple of good chances and a little bit hesitant in the final third. McCarthy was very good. Found Osman frustrating but stick he took was ott. We are not down yet, plenty to play for and have to continue to support the team. 

10 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Playing Sammon yesterday played into their hands as he was easy to mark with little movement either from him or players trying to pick up second balls, the best way in my opinion is to try to move their centre halves around a bit , that and the fact that Sammon couldn't trap a bag of cement didn't help.

With such opinion you should be getting involved at the club. What an asset you could be. 

I can't believe a fan who rates his opinion higher than our manager would rather snipe on the sidelines, than help the club in its hour of need.

24 minutes ago, potty trained said:

With such opinion you should be getting involved at the club. What an asset you could be. 

I can't believe a fan who rates his opinion higher than our manager would rather snipe on the sidelines, than help the club in its hour of need.

Did Sammon not get taken off yesterday obviously the manager had similar thoughts , we  haven't scored a goal for 6 games and our best chance of a goal has been sitting on the bench week in week out. My opinion is just that an opinion , not better than yours or anybody else's , thought this was a open forum ?

• Like 1

With regard to the Doolan v Sammon debate....there is a real danger that Doolans confidence must be affected by being continually benched. I like Sammon but for a big guy he is pretty average in the air at best and his first touch does let him down. Not sniping just facts. We need goals and Doolan remains our best hope.

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

I thought at times we were a joy to watch. Playing beautiful one touch football and moving the ball about at pace. At one down it still felt we could get two such as the manner in our play. Come the last five I was just wishing so hard for a deserved equaliser.

Totally agree with the above and in the first 15 minutes if the second half we played some of the best stuff we have done in a long while. To give Archie his due that was in my opinion largely due to switching Erskine and Spittal about so that Erskine was getting the ball in a more central area. However the Kilmarnock manager soon spotted this and went to a 4-1-4-1 so that Dicker was picking up erskine which forced us down the flanks. With Spittal and Elliot not really offering a threat in the right it meant everything was coming via booth and lawless which made it far easier for Killie to defend.

Killie are a well organised team with a tactically competent manager. Getting an equaliser against a team like that is way more difficult than say Dundee, Hamilton or Ross County who have managers likely to make tactical errors. The next five games are winnable if we can play in a similar style to the second half yesterday and if we end up with 3 home fixtures against Dundee, Hamilton and County that might just be the deciding factor.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

With regard to the Doolan v Sammon debate....there is a real danger that Doolans confidence must be affected by being continually benched. I like Sammon but for a big guy he is pretty average in the air at best and his first touch does let him down. Not sniping just facts. We need goals and Doolan remains our best hope.

Based on this year’s stats, are you sure Doolan is the better bet ? 

Isnt Sammon our top scorer this season ?

14 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Based on this year’s stats, are you sure Doolan is the better bet ? 

Isnt Sammon our top scorer this season ?

Think Doolan has 8 goals in all competitions, Sammon 6 , but if we haven’t scored for that length of time , wouldn’t you change it. Big issue for me in how the team plays , playing through the midfield rather than lumping the ball forward to the stereotypical centre forward  whose movement isn’t great .

Doolans goals are part of the reason why we’ve stayed in the league the past  4 years .

Edited by jlsarmy
  • Like 1