Ross County 4/5/18

Auld Jag

Phew .... a draw was a tad fortunate .... a dreadful second half really poor 

everything that was wrong with us was on view tonight .... poor defending no fluency in midfield and the lack of a cutting edge 

unlike others I thought salmon was ineffective and McCarthy could easily gone off 

a big shout to erskine who gave 130% and showed he cared 

We were pretty toothless- so no change there!  but County are a horrible team to watch - moaned at every decision given against them, went to ground at every opportunity.

Gardine spent more time sprawling on the ground than anything else.

Clancy is a total joke! some very strange decisions and the number of yellow cards we got compared to them was unbelievable.

Ah well, onwards and sideyways.

Sammon by his standards was poor tonight 

christie needs to work on his crossing can’t fault his energy but to put in so many hopeless crosses was embarrassing 

woods needs to work on his corners we looked far more dangerous when Spittal took them

storey was absolutely awful when he came on

i was a bit surprised that cerny was time wasting so much as we were really needing to win rather than draw

thought Edwards and Erskine were excellent and McCarthy put in a really good shift

• Like 1

Game summed up our season. Plenty of possession in the first half, some decent stuff but not enough to cut them open for a second which may have killed them. We then give away our customary cheap goal.

huffed and puffed in the second half but lacked the quality needed. Hence we are in 11th  on merit. Can’t see us escaping the play offs now

It's scary how brittle our defence looks late on in games and the way we hand the initiative to our opponents. 

We so lack a leader on the field but credit must go to Chris Erskine for a well deserved MOTM award for his lung bursting performance and a well taken goal.

Anyway, we still have a chance of getting to 10th, but to do so we must win our next two games and hope other results go our way.  Stranger things have happened.

Don't even want to think of the play off scenario.

We started quite well, scored a good goal and finished strongly in the last 10 minutes but we did next to nothing for most of the second half - a draw was a fair result. County looked a better side than Hamilton but if we can't win these games, we won't stay up and won't deserve to. We might make the play-off but my confidence that we will beat the Championship side is not high.

The backing from the Thistle fans was impressive and you couldn't fault the team for commitment...Chris Erskine in particular gave everything and was a threat. McCarthy again looked a decent player though he faded a bit. However, we lacked composure and incisive passing  - Barton and Spittal showed brief glimpses  that they have the ability but they just haven't contributed enough this season.

We really missed Booth's deliveries from the left wing...Elliot had a poor game and his crossing was dreadful. I have never been convinced that Sammon is a great asset to the team and he was pretty hopeless tonight. I never expect Storey to make a good cross or pass or do anything other than run quickly in the direction he;s pointed. It's very disappointing that the strong position we were in this time last season with money in the bank from the top-six finish and the sale  of Liam Lindsay has been squandered on relegation standard signings and injury-stricken players.

The split certainly generates exciting and meaningful games at the end of the season though.

Edited by Winter of '63
  • Like 2

It seriously amazes me what our fans are willing to applaud at the end of a game. 1-1 draw, at home, against arguably the worst team in the league (apart from us), with an insipid performance, in the most important game of the season. 

When I look at the performance this evening, we are going to finish in the bottom 2 on merit. No way will we get 10th place. No way! Motherwell, then a trip to Dens Park. We will be lucky to avoid automatic relegation at this rate. And no wonder. Guys like McGinn, Woods, Storey, and Devine are nowhere near as good as the players we have had in our previous Premiership seasons. Furthermore, we have a manager in the dug-out who hasn't got a clue how to be creative, and actually put games to bed. 4 shots on target all bloody game against the bottom team in the league is a disgrace, and this has been a problem all season that our manager has failed to solve. 

Can't believe it took us 85mins to actually apply the pressure this evening! Even Cerny was *****ing about at goal-kicks, taking his time. Just get the ball up the park and put some pressure on their poor backline. 

Whatever happens in the next two games, a major clearout is needed over the summer. A lot of the players need to go, as do the management as well. The club feels stale and stagnant both on and off the field, so we need some fresh ideas. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

We started quite well, scored a good goal and finished strongly in the last 10 minutes but we did next to nothing for most of the second half - a draw was a fair result. County looked a better side than Hamilton but if we can't win these games, we won't stay up and won't deserve to. We might make the play-off but my confidence that we will beat the Championship side is not high.

The backing from the Thistle fans was impressive and you couldn't fault the team for commitment...Chris Erskine in particular gave everything and was a threat. McCarthy again looked a decent player though he faded a bit. However, we lacked composure and incisive passing  - Barton and Spittal showed brief glimpses  that they have the ability but they just haven't contributed enough this season.

We really missed Booth's deliveries from the left wing...Elliot had a poor game and his crossing was dreadful. I have never been convinced that Sammon is a great asset to the team and he was pretty hopeless tonight. I never expect Storey to make a good cross or pass or do anything other than run quickly in the direction he;s pointed. It's very disappointing that the strong position we were in this time last season with money in the bank from the top-six finish and the sale  of Liam Lindsay has been squandered on relegation standard signings and injury-stricken players.

The split certainly generates exciting and meaningful games at the end of the season though.

There speaks an experienced Jags fan. 

That result didn't help either team.We were  good  up until we scored and then we didn't do much until about the 80th minute.Scoring the first goal in a game like this should have given us confidence but it seemed to do the opposite. I know the last 2 games we have come from a goal down and picked up 4 points,but overall this season we have lost about 26 points from a winning position.

5 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Because I can put myself in their shoes.

How would we be feeling if we were two points adrift with 2 games to go, with Dundee in our next game and then St. Johnstone away?

To top it off, the team above us had gone 3 games undefeated with a win and 2 draws. 

And before anyone asks, yes, I would take the play off right now.

If we won tonight a play off place would have been the worst we would have got .After tonight I now feel the best we will get is a play off place and automatic relegation isn't out of the question yet.

To even think aboot escaping the playoffs we had to win tonight. Now were hoping ross county cant win either of their games to avoid immediate relegation because i cant see us taking more than a point from ours games. Its been a desperate season and one that cant end quick enough

Don't want to add to the doom and gloom but archies subs tonight were shocking. Let's take off doolan and play a wide right who can't cross or do much else, Barton did well when he came on but we were chasing the game. 

Must win game and a home draw means the coach should be offski.  But not thistle. Amateur club. 

• Like 1