douglas clark

douglas clark

1 minute ago, Weebaw1 said:

Sammon was so bad that I was pleased to see Storey coming on! This man needs a rocket from management. He played like most of the Dundee team on Saturday. He was sitting on the beach lookin at the peaches. And he was applauded off the pitch!!

get Sammon tae....

I was at the game so didn’t hear us being savaged by BBC or Sutton.  I did hear an accurate synopsis by Duffy who appears far more tactically aware than our Management.  We deserved anything the broadcasters said because we lost to a junior team.

That game was an indictment of the quality of Scottish football.

85 minutes before Archie thought Sammon should go off. Just think about that. 

• Like 1

It's hard not to personalise criticism when we're all far more emotionally invested in the team than the vast majority of the players and coaches.  So I'm going to shut up and hope for a better performance on Sunday and pray that Archie picks McCarthy and that Erskine is fit. 

Didn't think Lawless was our worst player tonight btw, at least he tried to get it down and pass it.  That's the way to beat a team like them, pass and move. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of players getting criticised tonight but we only lost one battle and that was Hopkin v Archibald. Hopkin played to his strengths…he knew the Premiership side will have better footballers so he nulled that with energy, gamesmanship, physicality and it worked. The fact is that Archiebald had to respond to that and didn’t.  The sole tactic of a high ball to a 6’ft 2inch player who cant win a ball in the air clearly wasn’t working and needed changed. It wasn’t. It was clear to everybody where I was sitting what the problem was and they were all shouting to get the ball on the deck.  To have one shot on target against a side from a lower league is a disgrace. We were so predictable it was incredible. Repeatedly overhitting balls into the box is criminal. Cerny had to move quicker. He had to roll the ball out to keep possession. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Sammon is a waste of a shirt. Archie said a few games ago that its all a learning curve. Nothing is being learnt or changed.

That was truly awful tonight. I came away from the game drained from watching livingstons horrible brand of football and thistles p1ss poor attempts at combating it. What worries me more than the scoreline is the fact that everyone and their dog knew what was in store for us yet we looked absolutely clueless in how to play against them. Cerny suspect again, defence battered all night, constantly overran in midfield and next to nothing happening going forward. Tie is not over but not confident at all going into Sunday. 

That was pish. Junior ye might say, amateur at best. We scored fae a cross 10 yards from the hauf way line. Was there another chance for us in the remaining 80 mins. Devine was lucky not to go. Imagine that wasnt given for us v OF. We put ourselves under needless constant pressure. We've got too many guys that do heehaw. Embarrassment fir our game and disgrace for Scotland.

Out muscled, out fought, out played everywhere on the park.  Every team we play pushes us around with no response.

You can't say a single Jags player had a decent game and after that performance they didn't deserve the support that turned up the tonight.

Can you honestly see us winning the 2nd leg by 2 goals?

We've got a team full of players that no one else wants and why should any of them give a shit abt Sunday, they probably know if they are away.

Times up for the lot of them.

Gutless, hopeless, clueless.

Still love you Dools.

I think, always have, that Sammon is a better player when the ball is played into his feet. His heading ability isn't out of the top drawer.  But he is able to hold and pass a ball played to him at ground level in a fairly decent way.

It is apparently a sine qua non around here that players are deliberately pathetic. I was there and I thought a lot of our players got caught up in Livingstons' game plan without being able to develop anything other than a Neanderthal reaction. This team, too often, too frequently reverts to hoof ball when the chips are down. If we know one thing, and I have watched much of this disastrous season, the minute you think your best option is hitting long balls into the sky with no immediate target, you have lost the plot.

If, and it is a big if, we are to stay up, we have to play the game on the ground and find a modicum of space.

Sunday may well be decided on who scores first.

I'll be there shouting for our team and wishing and hoping.

Perhaps someone else could start a thread entitled:

"Sundays, wtf?"

I'll be amazed if Livi don't win. All they need to do is harry our soft players (most of them), get to 50/50 balls first (as most teams do), and continue to batter away at our powder-puff defence and they will score (most teams do). I reckon any other Premiership team, including Ross County, would have won that match last night. I also reckon that the present Thistle team would struggle in the lower half of the Championship. Archie and Shaggy are Jags legends, but they have been largely responsible for our downward spiral that has been going on for more than a year. 

• Like 1

Poor performance. But at least there is only one goal in it. Could have been worse. Hope Archie changes that diamond formation cause we didn’t have enough width. It will be different at firhill with the big pitch. Still confident we can get the job done. Important that the fans stay right behind the team and don’t get on their back. 

5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'll be amazed if Livi don't win. All they need to do is harry our soft players (most of them), get to 50/50 balls first (as most teams do), and continue to batter away at our powder-puff defence and they will score (most teams do). I reckon any other Premiership team, including Ross County, would have won that match last night. I also reckon that the present Thistle team would struggle in the lower half of the Championship. Archie and Shaggy are Jags legends, but they have been largely responsible for our downward spiral that has been going on for more than a year. 

This.

As hard as it was to watch last night and listen to Sutton and co on BT Sports, I think our players should be made to watch the game today and listen to the utter tanking they were taking from the commentary team.

If Archie can't inspire them, and fans reactions aren't sinking in then perhaps some home truths from former pros might ring home a bit.

• Like 1

Watching Thistle this year has been a bit like watching a much loved relative slowly expire from a terminal illness and secretly hoping that somehow someone will put them out of their misery.

That we’re still in with a fair chance of saving our season frankly amazes  me!

I think we’re all aware of our manifest fauls so I won’t bore everyone with a long list.  Suffice it to say that no matter the outcome on Sunday drastic action is required at Firhill.

So instead (and once again!) I’d,urge all Jags to get behind their team for Sunday and then we’ll deal with what’s to come , after that match.

Edited by stillresigned

I think that on Sunday we should be making several changes.  This is really last chance saloon for. So depending on whether players are fit I would make the following changes

Dumbuya for McGinn

Keown for Devine

McCarthy for Edwards

Penrice for Barton

Erskine for Sammon

The only positive I can take from last night is that the last twice we have come away from Livingston with a poor result is that we have then had fantastic results in the next game at Firhill

8 minutes ago, stillresigned said:

Watching Thistle this year has been a bit like watching a much loved relative slowly expire from a terminal illness and secretly hoping that somehow someone will put them out of their misery.

That we’re still in with a fair chance of saving our season frankly amazes  me!

I think we’re all aware bore anyone with a long recitation of our manifest faults: instead I’d urge all Jags t get behind their team for Sunday and then we’ll deal with what’s to come after that match.

Agreed

ill be there willing us on and then it will either be off to the pub or a and e ....

3 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think that on Sunday we should be making several changes.  This is really last chance saloon for. So depending on whether players are fit I would make the following changes

Dumbuya for McGinn

Keown for Devine

McCarthy for Edwards

Penrice for Barton

Erskine for Sammon

The only positive I can take from last night is that the last twice we have come away from Livingston with a poor result is that we have then had fantastic results in the next game at Firhill

My only disagreement would be McGinn,  I thought he has been one of our better players in recent weeks and Dumbeya has looked a pale shadow of the player he was before his injury.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

I thought Lawless continued his good form following the Dundee game. He was the most cultured player on the pitch but received zero support.

Couldnt believe it when he was subbed.

I knew he would be subbed before it happened...rationale.......we take the best player off and we leave the worst player on - the gospel according to Archibald!

5 minutes ago, joekea said:

I knew he would be subbed before it happened...rationale.......we take the best player off and we leave the worst player on - the gospel according to Archibald!

Lawless was injured. He took a clattering towards the end of the first half and hobbled around until half time. I’m surprised he made it out for the second half. Don’t let the facts stop the Archie abuse though?

13 hours ago, cyprusjag said:

If you thought BBC was bad you should have heard BT. We were slaughtered by Sutton and co,not without justification.I am never going to watch a Thistle televised game again.The only one I've ever enjoyed was our first game back in the Premier League against Dundee United that finished 0-0.So I won't be watching on Sunday but I'll record it and only watch it if we win overall.My blood pressure  can't take it.No wonder I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.I'm sure there must be a nervous condition called Thistleitis.

Sutton is brutal in how he talks about some teams but last night everything he said about us (and it was brutal) was bang on.