Stephen O'Donnell

allyo

I wonder if O'Donnell's a better all round player than he was with us. If so, and that's something I doubt, it'll only be marginal.  It's not as if he's gone down to England and had noticeable (to a Scotland manager anyway) success.  Complete opposite to Andy Robertson in that way. Anyway genuinely pleased for the lad. He's a good guy and always represented us in a good light.

Praising Steve Clark for everything good in the world has become a national pastime (the sun is shining today-thanks Steve), but as regards Stephen O'Donnell's recent form it would seem to be fully justified. Last season I hardly noticed him when he played for Killie against us, and he was certainly not pulling up any trees. In the last few months he has been sensational, both in scoring and creating goals. He has put in some excellent crosses and has mastered the art of the long low shot that gathers speed off the Rugby Park surface (would be a daisycutter if they had any daisies).

Will never forget his classic goal at Tannadice. 

The volley from the wing at Ross County (which effectively secured our safety that season) and the cheeky finish after materialising on the left wing in the 5-1 v Dunfermline were pretty special as well.

SOD was a fabulous player for us but perhaps suspect in defence.

This season against us I thought he had bulked up and added a ruthless streak, possibly introduced by Clarke.

Delighted for him as he was such an exciting player. He and ATS were great that season. 

How we miss him! But that’s football.

32 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Praising Steve Clark for everything good in the world has become a national pastime (the sun is shining today-thanks Steve), but as regards Stephen O'Donnell's recent form it would seem to be fully justified. Last season I hardly noticed him when he played for Killie against us, and he was certainly not pulling up any trees. In the last few months he has been sensational, both in scoring and creating goals. He has put in some excellent crosses and has mastered the art of the long low shot that gathers speed off the Rugby Park surface (would be a daisycutter if they had any daisies).

Will never forget his classic goal at Tannadice. 

The volley from the wing at Ross County (which effectively secured our safety that season) and the cheeky finish after materialising on the left wing in the 5-1 v Dunfermline were pretty special as well.

Last season?  Im pretty sure this has just been his first season at Killie?

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Last season?  Im pretty sure this has just been his first season at Killie?

You are absolutely right. To try to rescue my point, when we played the pre-Clark Killie at the beginning of this season, I did not notice Stephen as having any major impact on the game. 

People called Clark seem to be featuring in every thread!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I think that you may mean Ryan Williamson.

Gavin Williamson MP has just been appointed as Secretary of State for Education by Boris Johnson.

That explains why he didn't react to my helpful words of advice yesterday when I was screaming, "Gavin, fur fux sake!..."....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

From what I've seen of Williamson (which is limited to videos), he looks like a good player.

From what I've seen of Williamson he looks exactly as the Dunfermline fans described. Ok going forward not so good defensively. SOD was far better at both aspects even in his early games with us.

To my mind we either need to be comfortable that Saunders could play right back in a 4-4-2 or look to recruit a right back that would allow us to play that system. To my mind Saunders is best as one of the two centre halfs in a 4-4-2 so I think we need to get a proper right back.

9 minutes ago, laukat said:

From what I've seen of Williamson he looks exactly as the Dunfermline fans described. Ok going forward not so good defensively. SOD was far better at both aspects even in his early games with us.

To my mind we either need to be comfortable that Saunders could play right back in a 4-4-2 or look to recruit a right back that would allow us to play that system. To my mind Saunders is best as one of the two centre halfs in a 4-4-2 so I think we need to get a proper right back.

This.

Was impressed by Williamson in the clyde game, plenty of stamina, quick of thought getting forward and getting back. However v alloa he was very poor. Positionally poor, wasn't passing inside and getting forward in a wide area to give an added option and was caught for pace tracking back. A poor game all in all, but one poor game doesn't write him off so will reserve judgement, but at this stage he's nothing like SoD

2 hours ago, laukat said:

Didn't see this post as I've just posted something very similar on another thread. Tho' I'm happy with Williamson replacing Elliott to a degree, Ryan is a poorer right back than Christie. And, no, my short term memory isn't acting up. On the credit side Williamson's delivery into the box looks very good and maybe just as important he doesn't linger on the ball too often before crossing.