Livingston 2nd leg

Auld Jag

We now have 1 last game to save our Premiership status.We know it is a game we have to win but after the first leg it is going to take a big turnaround in attitude if we are to achieve that.The Livingston team now have something to lose and they also worked extremely hard to get the first leg victory and with there only being 3 days till the next game, how well will they have recovered, is this 2 factors that can work for us? We cannot afford to go a goal behind in the second leg so we need to come out and put them under pressure from the first whistle and impose ourselves on them.

I wonder how Livi will approach the game. I suspect that for them attack is the best form of defence, and let's face it, we can't hold out against teams that keep our defence under pressure. They know that they have nothing to fear from us, so might just try to carve us up. We need to hope that it'll be one of those very rare occasions when things go right for Thistle. Telling that it has come down to hope rather than ability or confidence.

Any predictions?

1-1.

We got totally sucked into their style last night but i think the pitch kind of forced us into that. Very hard to play when 5 yard passes are bobbling up shin high. Itll be a different game on the bigger/smoother surface at Firhill. I think we need an extra body in midfield to get the ball down and pass around (oh for a fit Bannigan). In an ideal world id take out Booth (2 games in 4 days might be tough) Sammon and Barton and put in Elliot, Spittal/Erskine and possibly McCarthy. The problem with that is we take a lot of height out of the team so unlikely they will all be replaced. Putting Storey in is an option but hes been so poor recently that i cant see it. Id go:

Cerny

McGinn Devine Cargill Booth/Elliot

Woods McCarthy/Barton

Spittal        Edwards/Erskine        Lawless

Doolan

Get the ball down and pass it around and let the big bodies of Livingston chase us around.

I take heart from the fact we were absolutely diabolical but only lost by 1. Livi wanted it more 100% but in reality were they that much better than we were? I don't think they were

An early goal (please please please) and all the momentum will be in our favour.

All to play for IMO

Oh and don't give away any daft fouls

Edited by p12tfc
  • Like 1

Don't forget - we are the great unpredictables.  We have been totally predictable this season, so an unpredictable result is overdue.

Archie. Please play Barton in the middle of a back three, and not in midfield - I thought until Thursday that that lesson had been learned.  Please play Elliott and Booth (if fit) in their best positions.  Please play Woods, McCarthy, Erskine and Lawless in midfield. Please play Doolan as lone striker. Please do not play Sammon - every time he plays the gonzos at the back lump high balls in his general direction to zero effect - he is much better with the ball at his feet. 

Maybe, just maybe, Dumbaya has a midfield role to play in the second half in getting past his man to the byeline, but he needs to show more confidence than he did the last time he played.  If he is brought on with the game still to be won, he/we have nothing to lose.  At any rate, please bring on subs who will quicken our game and at a time that gives them a chance to contribute.

Please use the wide spaces of Firhill to tire Livi who put a lot into the game on Thursday.  Please use pace down the wings. Please put balls in behind their back four and make them turn - they defend high in the pitch, so make them turn, run and tire.

We will win this game if we show some composure.

• Like 3

Where does all the talk of the ‘big’ pitch at Firhill being helpful to us come from? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times recently.

It seems to be about 7m longer than Almondvale but same width, so I’m not really sure of the benefit of it being slightly longer as it would tend to be more beneficial for a long ball I would have thought.

according to wiki Firhill is 105m x 69m (I saw it mentioned elsewhere as 110yds x 75yds, Almondvale 98m x 69m

My worry is we need to win by 2 goals - penalties do not fill me with optimism (as we only get about 1 a decade). This season we have won 3 games by 2 or more - Ross County in December, St Johnstone in January and St Mirren last July. 3 games out of 38 league games, 6 league cup games, 2 Scottish Cup and 1 play off game - 47 games. Eternal optimist says we are due to win another by at least 2.

24 minutes ago, jaggy said:

Where does all the talk of the ‘big’ pitch at Firhill being helpful to us come from? I’ve seen it mentioned a few times recently.

Some of our passes may stay in play??

I said ‘may’

Edited by elevenone
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Some of our passes may stay in play??

I said ‘may’

Not having a dig at you, I have just seen it commented in a few places recently about our ‘big and wide’ pitch and it might benefit us. 

Not much chance of some of our passes staying in play even if it was 50m longer :no:

I dunno who is fit and available... but

Cerny

Elliot Keown Cargill Booth

Woods Osman

Spittal Erskine Lawless

Doolan

It's easier said than done but we cannot afford to over think things now.

This is it.

Time for action and getting our priorities straight is crucial. 

We are 1 goal down. WE NEED GOALS and cannot afford to give any away.

Back 6 - Keep shape, talk to each other, DEFEND, control then find front 4.

Forward 3 - Find space, make space, ATTACK SPACE. On and off the ball, all the ******* time... ******* move! ....and **** pissing about getting in the box. FIND SPACE! Anywhere from 25yards turn and SHOOT!

Doolan - Poach.

Remain calm patient, focussed, determined

and....

For fugsache....

GEEEZ A SHIFT!

I think that played in the centre of the pitch he would add pace and be able to get past players to create some much needed space, without the risk of losing the ball in an isolated position.  Anything new that reduces slow sideways and backward passing is worth a punt.

Have to say, think its time to throw away any caution. 

Cerny

Cargill Barton Devine 

Elliott.                                     Booth

McCarthy     Woods.    Penrice 

Storey 

Doolan

This is assuming Keown, Erskine and Lawless all out injured. If not Erskine to replace Storey, Keown to replace Bombscare Devine and Lawless to get nod over Penrice. 

Id also keep Sammon and Edwards as impact subs. 

No matter who plays for Thistle lets hope we get some effort and fight from them,surely that is the least we should expect.No matter where they are playing after this season having a relegation on your cv doesn't look good.I hope we have a big noisyThistle support on Sunday.Lets get right behind the team as we have done all season.