Livingston 2nd leg

Auld Jag

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I did say clutching at straws. But I will still be there on Sunday willing the team on.

I think I remember Falkirk outplaying Kilmarnock in the first leg a couple of seasons ago and winning 1-0.Kilmarnock won the second leg easily, 5-0 I think. Am I also clutching at straws thinking we can do the same.I would of course settle for 2-0 for Thistle.I will also be there on Sunday willing the team on and no matter what league we are in I will be doing that for as many seasons as I can.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I think I remember Falkirk outplaying Kilmarnock in the first leg a couple of seasons ago and winning 1-0.Kilmarnock won the second leg easily, 5-0 I think. Am I also clutching at straws thinking we can do the same.I would of course settle for 2-0 for Thistle.I will also be there on Sunday willing the team on and no matter what league we are in I will be doing that for as many seasons as I can.

I'll be there too for my first game Auld Jag.

We'll run them ragged no danger. 

• Like 1

My normal optimism, badly dented by last night's abject performance, has now returned. No particularly objective reason for this, but it sure beats pessimism.

Somehow we have to keep the ball on the ground and overcome what seemed to be an irresistible temptation to kick it as high as possible into the air.

I am not a technical wizard, but could we install some suction pads into the undersoil heating system which would drag the ball back down if it threatened to go too high. That would eliminate a good proportion of the Livingston repertoire. Lithgow , Miller and Gallacher would stumble to their knees. Erskine, Lawless and Doolan would run riot

9 hours ago, douglas clark said:

Lenziejag,

Err..

No. 

This is a must win game.  I doubt we can play as poorly again as we did at the Tony Macaroni. I hope I am right and you are wrong.

I am not sure what I said,Douglas. I also doubt we can play as badly again.

On 18/05/2018 at 7:10 AM, p12tfc said:

We got totally sucked into their style last night but i think the pitch kind of forced us into that. Very hard to play when 5 yard passes are bobbling up shin high. Itll be a different game on the bigger/smoother surface at Firhill. I think we need an extra body in midfield to get the ball down and pass around (oh for a fit Bannigan). In an ideal world id take out Booth (2 games in 4 days might be tough) Sammon and Barton and put in Elliot, Spittal/Erskine and possibly McCarthy. The problem with that is we take a lot of height out of the team so unlikely they will all be replaced. Putting Storey in is an option but hes been so poor recently that i cant see it. Id go:

Cerny

McGinn Devine Cargill Booth/Elliot

Woods McCarthy/Barton

Spittal        Edwards/Erskine        Lawless

Doolan

Please, please,please don`t play Devine!!

19 hours ago, ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz said:

I dunno who is fit and available... but

Cerny

Elliot Keown Cargill Booth

Woods Osman

Spittal Erskine Lawless

Doolan

It's easier said than done but we cannot afford to over think things now.

This is it.

Time for action and getting our priorities straight is crucial. 

We are 1 goal down. WE NEED GOALS and cannot afford to give any away.

Back 6 - Keep shape, talk to each other, DEFEND, control then find front 4.

Forward 3 - Find space, make space, ATTACK SPACE. On and off the ball, all the ******* time... ******* move! ....and **** pissing about getting in the box. FIND SPACE! Anywhere from 25yards turn and SHOOT!

Doolan - Poach.

Remain calm patient, focussed, determined

and....

For fugsache....

GEEEZ A SHIFT!

Ladies and gentleman i give you the new manager, hell of a team talk sir

The Thistle Nation comes together tomorrow for one final enormous gut bursting salvo against the pretenders that stand between us and banishment to semi-obscurity.

An epic shift required from every individual connected with our proud club. Every fan:  men, women and children to scream themselves totally hoarse in a giant collective effort to keep our Thistle up where they belong.

The job can and will be done. 

Come on!

We Are Thistle. 

• Like 1

Thistlebright - I think you're line up is pretty much spot on. Only exception would be replacing Osman with McCarthy. I would prefer Osman my self but not making the sub bench on Thursday suggests he's already gone

Personally I would still but Dumbaya in instead of McGinn but I think Archie also see's him as surplus.

This is my team, dependent on all players selected being fully fit and fully committed. Any doubts on either score would mean changes.

Cerny

Elliott, Barton, Cargill, Dumbuya

McCarthy, Osman

Spittal, Erskine, Lawless

Doolan

Substitutes: Scully, McGinn, Penrice, Woods, Edwards, Sammon, Storey

In brief explanation:

1) McGinn has done little wrong, but Elliott brings heart and history to the table in such a vital fixture. Extra height and running power may also be helpful.

2) I know that Barton is better at sweeper, but an excess of defenders sends out a wrong message, and I do not want to lose out on a forward midfield player. Would also prefer not to have to play Devine. Barton and Cargill give more hope of some constructive running and passing from defence, rather than hoofball.

3) Booth would normally be my left back of choice, but he did seem tentative on Thursday, and maybe lacked fitness. We need some pace in the team and Muzzy can supply this. He put in a brilliant showing on the left up against Josh Magennis at Rugby Park when we clinched safety two seasons ago. Does he have it in him to give us one last performance? May also be a surprise package to Livingston, due to his comparative invisibility in recent months.

4) Woods was not great on Thursday. Osman brings more height and would be good at dropping back to fill gaps if any of the back 4 come forward (which they should be encouraged to do).

5) McCarthy can find a pass.

6) Spittal has been decent in his recent substitute appearances. Our forward players will hopefully draw free kicks and he can capitalise.

7) Erskine, Lawless and Doolan go without saying, but need fast service to feet.

Final Comments:

A--Cerny and his defenders must be much more switched on as regards quick recycling of the ball to feet, to avoid yet more punting high in the air to Livingston's strength. If we keep trying to recycle possession, even if Livingston move quickly to cover, they will eventually tire themselves out with such extra high pressing, and we can take advantage in extra time.

B--Keep Edwards & Sammon on bench to avoid early frantic running about/high balls to striker. Edwards certainly to come on by early second half to inject fresh energy and pace where needed. Sammon will likely be required to replace one of the forward players (and to take a penalty!).  If we avoid injuries and can make a 3rd substitution of choice, Storey's speed should be effective, especially if the game stretches into extra time.

Personally don't see Livi allowing us to play in front of them - their greater energy levels might be depleated by bigger pitch/warm weather but it also requires a much better performance from us. Just cannot see it happening although obviously would love to be proved wrong.

To be brutally honest: this team has had more last. chances than the late George Bast to try and rescue their season. Now their well and truly in the last chance saloon.

I’m not going to indulge in any schoolboy bravado, I’ll simply be going to cheer my team on as I’ve been doing for 40-odd not entirely glorious years. The only thing I’d ask of the players is to leave nothing in the dressing room. If someone offered you 90 minutes to beat a Championship team by two goals at Firhill I’m sure you’d have jumped at the opperchancity!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Clutching at straws here. Could this be Archie’s Ferguson moment. 5 years of below expectation results , getting a second chance at lower league opposition. Wins the prize and goes on to 20 plus years of glory.

5 years of below expectation results? He got us promoted and improved our league position year on year aside from this year. Last year we were 6th, way above any of our expectations. What planet are you on?

This season has been terrible and clearly a decision will have to be made at some point, but this revisionist nonsense that’s painting Archie as some sort of perennial failure is not just wrong but offensive to a decent and highly successful manager. 

• Like 1

As someone said, if we can't beat Livi over two games, we don't deserve our place in the top division. Simple as that.

Lots of the players need a serious kick in the erse & if they can't motivate themselves for this game they should look for a different profession, let alone a different club.

They have the ability, but now they need to show they have the mentality for it. The fans will turn up & no doubt give great backing, but the time for excuses is over - we're due a performance, so hopefully it arrives tomorrow.

56 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

5 years of below expectation results? He got us promoted and improved our league position year on year aside from this year. Last year we were 6th, way above any of our expectations. What planet are you on?

This season has been terrible and clearly a decision will have to be made at some point, but this revisionist nonsense that’s painting Archie as some sort of perennial failure is not just wrong but offensive to a decent and highly successful manager. 

Calm down.  I am with you. I did mean to put in brackets “ according to some “