Decisions to be made

Auld Jag

When we got promotion in 2013 I am sure that most of us wondered how long we could stay in the top league for. As we watched so called bigger clubs drop down to the championship and we managed to survive I am sure that most of us hoped that we could emulate St.Johnstone and become an established top flight club.I am sure that our top 6 finish had a fair amount of us thinking that we had done it and from now on it would be just a matter of would we finish in the top 6 or just outside it.Now 12 months after that top 6 we have been relegated and it hurts me to say it but we deserve to go down.Yes if we picked up an extra point or 2 we would have finished above Hamilton,but the truth is we had  a number of chances to save our top flight status and we couldn't do it.We were beaten in both legs of the play off by a team who only got promoted to the championship last season and who had based their budget on finishing eighth in the championship.Since the 2 leagues of 18 were changed in the seventies , anytime Thistle has been relegated from the top league it has taken us 10years,6years and 9years to get back to the premier league. The decisions that are made in the coming week have to be the right ones or we could find ourselves once again waiting a decade or longer before we see top flight football back again.

But there's no way of knowing whether the decisions are the right ones, before the action gets under way next season.

One thing I'm sure of: the current Thistle team would struggle to stay safe in the Championship. About the softest Thistle team I've ever seen. Sure, we've had some stinkers, but never as soft.

2 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

But there's no way of knowing whether the decisions are the right ones, before the action gets under way next season.

One thing I'm sure of: the current Thistle team would struggle to stay safe in the Championship. About the softest Thistle team I've ever seen. Sure, we've had some stinkers, but never as soft.

You are of course correct we will not know if the decisions are right until we are well into the season.But if we do have a new manager will it be a young up and coming manager somebody suggested Goodwin or will it be a tried and tested one like Duffy.Will we be going with a young squad with some old heads for experience.I don't think you will see many of the current Thistle squad play again for us.

We have to start again. 5 year plan and hope we go up sooner. Keep the good financial prudence and get someone in who knows the championship and has a proven record. Doesn't have to be an older head but not someone untested cos this is a complete re build which could see us drop again as we all know how tough a league the championship is. Hearing duffy and kenny miller were in yesterday, deffo not form me and unlikely we could afford their needs. 

I'm struggling to decide who my dream appointment would be. Sorry to say Archie has to go, in absence of any other enlightened thoughts jim mcintyre or ian mcoll know the league, but would that be a step backwards?

Is robbie neilson looking for work? 

My no list - duffy, goodwin, hartley, hughes..... & any of the usual suspets

20 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I'm struggling to decide who my dream appointment would be. Sorry to say Archie has to go, in absence of any other enlightened thoughts jim mcintyre or ian mcoll know the league, but would that be a step backwards?

Is robbie neilson looking for work? 

My no list - duffy, goodwin, hartley, hughes..... & any of the usual suspets

Ian McCall knows this league so well that his last season at this level ended in a dismal relegation with a team filled with our cast offs