Club board meeting

Paolo

We need some good news to cheer us all up,  hopefully positive moves on taking the club forward.   Which leads me to ask, is Colin Weir actually on the board ?   What is his role , when it says he is club patron ?

Edited by Paolo

I dunno his/their correct position on the board but it seems from the outside looking in they are involved, why else would they be providing finance. I for one don't want the Weirs ploughing funny money into the club for players to chase promotion. I just hope we get someone in (or management team) who can achieve it the same way as last time. Cos the current players have zero chance of getting us up.

Again, from the outside looking in, we appear to have as good a premiership set up as any mid table/lower table team in the league so as long as we maintain financial prudence we should be ok. It might take a five year plan or similer to get us back up but i'm sure with the right management team in place we'll get back up there.

This last season should have been for consolidation, core group of players with small amout of recruitment to augment, a slowly evolving team, all it needs is two class signings in a close season to push a team on, i'm afraid in that regard Archie failed and now we are looking at a total re build. That's too tall an order to expect an immediate return to the promised land.

So to answer your question Paulo, i dont know but because of their involvement and the boards financial track record i am becoming optimistic again. The only down to the boards performance was to stick with the management team when they must have known many players were not playing for Archie. I just hope they go for a long term fix and not short termism (dunno if thats a word). 

I have been told jim duffy and kenny miller were at firhill yesterday, but apparently if you hang about and footbal stadium in the central belt for long enough you see such people coming and going. I hope they were there just to use the gym facilities, #not for me

Kenny Miller might be interesting as a player/manager. I never liked him as an opposition player, but I suspect that he is one that you love playing for you and I have no doubt that he would run riot in the Championship if given some decent service. As a manager he is unproven, but the only way we are going to find a really good manager is to take a punt on someone unproven. I also suspect that he has good contacts. That said, perhaps one of the usual faces from the merry-go-round would be what we need to steady the ship and consolidate for a season. I guess the question is a gamble on a quick return or a 5 year plan to create a sustainable Premiership club.

Colin Weir is not on the board. He is advised well by a board of people on managing the Euromillions win. He gave £ to Thistle more in a charitable way. Clearing the debt and giving what shareholding he could have taken to a fans trust.  The Weir Academy is also there to provide players for 1st team but will impact far more boys and girls through participation, health and education.

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Kenny Miller might be interesting as a player/manager. I never liked him as an opposition player, but I suspect that he is one that you love playing for you and I have no doubt that he would run riot in the Championship if given some decent service. As a manager he is unproven, but the only way we are going to find a really good manager is to take a punt on someone unproven. I also suspect that he has good contacts. That said, perhaps one of the usual faces from the merry-go-round would be what we need to steady the ship and consolidate for a season. I guess the question is a gamble on a quick return or a 5 year plan to create a sustainable Premiership club.

Kenny Miller with Billy Dodds his assistant would be good. A gamble on a quick return for me,. 5 years in the lower league is unthinkable,  unbearable.

Edited by Paolo
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Paolo said:

Kenny Miller with Billy Dodds his assistant would be good. A gamble on a quick return for me,. 5 years in the lower league is unthinkable,  unbearable.

How long you been watching Thistle? I'm a wee bit worried for you.

21 minutes ago, allyo said:

How long you been watching Thistle? I'm a wee bit worried for you.

Been watching Thistle for many years,  times have changed,  it doesn't matter if the next manager has had connections with Thistle,  got to appoint someone who  gets  crowds,  bums on seats,  Kenny Miller would attract a lot of interest,  hes a very good team motivator,  he would be a very ambitious appointment

46 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

The thing about a gamble is that there is always a price to pay if it doesn’t come off. 

True,  keeping Archie would also be a gamble,  hes being asked to attract and assemble a new squad and is expected to win the league,  people may argue he won the league,  but bare in mind he inherited the league winning squad from Jackie McNamara

4 minutes ago, Paolo said:

True,  keeping Archie would also be a gamble,  hes being asked to attract and assemble a new squad and is expected to win the league,  people may argue he won the league,  but bare in mind he inherited the league winning squad from Jackie McNamara

Ive heard it said that McCall and McNamara are somehow due some kudos for Archies tenure.  Really? They werent there....end of. That said I'm fairly sure that now is the time for change. Yes its a gamble whether we stick or twist. Lets be honest the Thistle style under Archie is pretty obvious and the last years signings have failed. 

Archie stands or falls on his own managerial credentials. No one else's. The jury is out on whether or not he is good or bad. IMHO he has a season to prove himself, but I kind of doubt he will be allowed that sort of space. Which is a bit sad, but understandable. The question is, who would we get next? Who's available and who is going to turn us around?

Answers on a postcard or, preferably here.

17 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Why are people against Kenny Miller as manager ?

Is it because he has no experience ? Is it because of who he played for ?

I would take Kenny Miller, he still looks incredibly fit,  he's always had that passion and desire to win things,.  He would get respect in the dressing room,.  we would play attacking football,.   You'll get people on here saying no experience,.  Archie had no experience when he took charge,

I have very mixed emotions about Archie staying or not. A lot will come down to whether he can lift himself , the club , fans and players from the our current low point. He will have been under tremendous pressure over the last few weeks and we shouldn't underestimate the toll that will have taken on him personally.  

I am now however beginning to think a big name like miller is exactly want the clubs needs now to lift spirits. He will generate a lot of media interest, is a winner  and will have a lot of contacts in the game for signings etc. he is vastly experienced , from international level to working through the lower leagues with sevco .

I think this season will leave a number of mental scars on the club is terms of number of loses , how we have played. The worry is that mental fragility carriers into next season with low comfidence etc and Archie under pressure right away. Not sure that's any basis to manage the club.

1 hour ago, Paolo said:

I would take Kenny Miller, he still looks incredibly fit,  he's always had that passion and desire to win things,.  He would get respect in the dressing room,.  we would play attacking football,.   You'll get people on here saying no experience,.  Archie had no experience when he took charge,

Is he the new Owen Coyle - frequently spotted on Firhill Road? :D

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, Dick Dastardly said:

Don't we already have a manager ?