Club Statement Archie

Paukea

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I was in the Archie should stay camp but I have no desire to gloat for want of a better term because I know that the vast majority of fellow fans who were in the other camp had genuine and strongly held views. 

Like FT if this was a referendum I'd have voted for Archie staying. That said I'm glad this decision is not down to us fans as I wouldn't my vote interpreted as a vote for the status quo. I expect big changes and truly believe the current manager can help enable that  outcome.

I completely understand and respect those who feel differently, those who feel Archie is either part of the problem or not capable of implementing positive change.  I've next to no time for those who believe the manager should go simply as a form of punishment but thankfully they're few and far between.  There certainly shouldn't be anyone gloating about today's announcement straight after a ******* relegation. That said I'm sure the any Jags fan not happy at Archie staying would welcome being gloated at further down the line.

3 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Like FT if this was a referendum I'd have voted for Archie staying. That said I'm glad this decision is not down to us fans as I wouldn't my vote interpreted as a vote for the status quo. I expect big changes and truly believe the current manager can help enable that  outcome.

I completely understand and respect those who feel differently, those who feel Archie is either part of the problem or not capable of implementing positive change.  I've next to no time for those who believe the manager should go simply as a form of punishment but thankfully they're few and far between.  There certainly shouldn't be anyone gloating about today's announcement straight after a ******* relegation. That said I'm sure the any Jags fan not happy at Archie staying would welcome being gloated at further down the line.

LIB you are one of the fans who's post I really enjoy reading but please answer me this Archibalds reluctance to use younger players i.e. Penrice, Nisbet and to a certain extent McCarthy, why will next season be any different. Also he signed a lot of this season flops, surely if they go so should he.

Has the board thought about how the fans treated the players and AA the season just gone ? As in previous managers after poor seasons would have had the fans turing on the players and manager and is this a sign that Beattie asked AA to go again and AA thinks that all the fans or most are behind them ? Hoping it turns out well though but i fear the fans if  AA does not get it right this season the fans will really turn on  him and the players. 

Stability in a time of change (Maxwell and most first team players leaving) has probably prompted this decision.

Not only is it a risky tactic to look for immediate promotion from the Championship but the additional, unquantifiable aim has been set before Archie of "playing football like Partick Thistle" (entertainingly?). That looks like the board hedging its bets: Archie can be blamed if promotion is not attained, or if the playing style is unattractive (assuming that is what un"like Patrick Thistle" means). He's going to have to make big changes to get those right, including making several important signings promptly and carrying out thorough reviews of the desperate injury and the poor disciplinary records. Meanwhile, the board will have time to consider a potential successor, as it seems likely they failed to do in the past season.

• Like 1

BowenBoys.

You say:

"I'm sure that they have made it clear to AA what is expected of him this season and the extent to which they will back him. I hope they gave him better guidance than "we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle", whatever that means."

The season before last we, largely played the ball into feet. We played wing backs who actually were wing backs. We did not crumble and play boots up the park and pretend it was a tactic.

I think, correct me if I am wrong, that Alan Archibald has to go back to believing in football.

On a final comment, everyone in the team has to work on their 'final ball' which has become a disgrace. We have squad players that have that ability, James Penrice, for example, and we favour guys that can't even keep it within the lines?

WTF?

I attended both games against Livingston, my throat is still sore. That was utterly abject and, y'know what? Much as expected.  Mr Archibald has to raise his tactical ideas to the extent that we impose on the opposition rather than the other way around. This next season will determine whether he has the 'chops' for it or not. I hope he does, but if he doesn't, he's gotta go.

So, no pressure.

If anything is needed at the club in the coming season it is a leader on the field. A Scott Brown figure ( that is quite difficult to say). There must be one out there. He doesn't need to be the best player we have but he needs to want to run through brick walls for Partick Thistle. So THAT is Archie's first job. And if we could get three of them...... there would be no holding us in my opinion!

2 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

If anything is needed at the club in the coming season it is a leader on the field. A Scott Brown figure ( that is quite difficult to say). There must be one out there. He doesn't need to be the best player we have but he needs to want to run through brick walls for Partick Thistle. So THAT is Archie's first job. And if we could get three of them...... there would be no holding us in my opinion!

Like Paul Paton?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, douglas clark said:

BowenBoys.

You say:

"I'm sure that they have made it clear to AA what is expected of him this season and the extent to which they will back him. I hope they gave him better guidance than "we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle", whatever that means."

The season before last we, largely played the ball into feet. We played wing backs who actually were wing backs. We did not crumble and play boots up the park and pretend it was a tactic.

I think, correct me if I am wrong, that Alan Archibald has to go back to believing in football.

On a final comment, everyone in the team has to work on their 'final ball' which has become a disgrace. We have squad players that have that ability, James Penrice, for example, and we favour guys that can't even keep it within the lines?

WTF?

I attended both games against Livingston, my throat is still sore. That was utterly abject and, y'know what? Much as expected.  Mr Archibald has to raise his tactical ideas to the extent that we impose on the opposition rather than the other way around. This next season will determine whether he has the 'chops' for it or not. I hope he does, but if he doesn't, he's gotta go.

So, no pressure.

The line in the statement suggests that there is a 'Partick Thistle way' to play football. That players and managers are groomed through the academy to play and manage in the style that is expected, season after season. That's not the case. We're not Barcelona.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jag said:

Interesting that the new training ground is to be operational from the start of 2019-20 season.

15 months not a bit ambitious?

They said an announcement would be made mid June.....so I guess that’s about the location and land .....so a year to get it started doesn’t seem unreasonable and it’s great news 

1 hour ago, allyo said:

First name I thought of. But my problem with Paul Paton  is nothing to do with how he left. It's that he was rubbish for about three years and then good for about half a season. 

Paton was an average full back that struggled to put in crosses and was too one footed. However, when he was moved in to midfield to do the dirty work that allowed others around him to play, he excelled.

Ask any Dundee United fan and the majority of St Johnstone fans and they would be happy to have him back in their team. 

I was never bothered about the way he left the club and found the treatment he got after he went a bit embarrassing. 

I would be delighted if we could get him back, I feel he would be a stand out in the Championship. Don't think we would be able to afford him though.

29 minutes ago, javeajag said:

They said an announcement would be made mid June.....so I guess that’s about the location and land .....so a year to get it started doesn’t seem unreasonable and it’s great news 

Once the site is secured it will be months before a spade is put in the ground.  Plans need to be drawn and passed, building work will go out to tender.

Unless of course they have already found somewhere and plans and drawings are in place but I'm sure we would have known about this.

42 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

I've never been a huge fan of signing ex players.

However, I think Paton would be an excellent signing for next season.

He was a very decent player at championship level and would give our midfield the dig that has been missing all season.

and he was a leader

I'm happy with the statement. It's clear, robust and indicates to me that the Board were asking the correct questions of Archie. I'm particularly intrigued by the statement:  'We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else'. This is an odd inclusion in what is a very concisely written statement, with little padding and tangential material. Little allusions like this sometimes provide insight into the background discussions from which they originate but to which we don't have direct access. Has Archie -- be it consciously or otherwise  -- been drawn into aping the style of another manager/team?  Dunno. No firm conclusions can be drawn but, as I say, it is an intriguing aside.

I'd be happy to see Paul Paton back. 

Incidentally, I see Frederic Frans' club has folded. He's another one I'd like to see return if possible. Thought he was great when he joined then lost his way a bit, but in the Championship I think he'd excel. We need a big guy at the heart of the defence and he could be that guy.

48 minutes ago, Gnome on the Bing said:

I'm happy with the statement. It's clear, robust and indicates to me that the Board were asking the correct questions of Archie. I'm particularly intrigued by the statement:  'We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else'. This is an odd inclusion in what is a very concisely written statement, with little padding and tangential material. Little allusions like this sometimes provide insight into the background discussions from which they originate but to which we don't have direct access. Has Archie -- be it consciously or otherwise  -- been drawn into aping the style of another manager/team?  Dunno. No firm conclusions can be drawn but, as I say, it is an intriguing aside.

When I first read this I took it to be a reference to the first Livi match where, by design or by accident, we tried to play them at their own game and found out were weren't any good at it.

In my opinion the decision is completely half arsed and cowardly.It does nothing to take the club forward.They have given Archie an impossible task. Asking a manager to re build and entire squad from scratch and get promotion in a season is ludicrous and unfair. If they had faith in him as a manager they would have given him two or three years to do so . It is a cop out from making the hard decision to sack him and shows a lack of leadership. Saying "lessons have been learned " is a load of patronising p1sh.Was he not allowed to learn any lessons before.When GerryB said at HT in the Livi match our plan is to get the ball wide and stretch them we all knew what was coming. Left wing ,right wing left wing then a hoof into the middle....same crap all season ,they learned nothing. They have not backed Archie at all, he has an impossible task with the time scale he has.He should have been backed properly with two years or sacked. Lack of balls and leadership.

5 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

The line in the statement suggests that there is a 'Partick Thistle way' to play football. That players and managers are groomed through the academy to play and manage in the style that is expected, season after season. That's not the case. We're not Barcelona.

I thought that was the intention from the outset - to establish a 'Partick Thistle way' of playing. Are the academy teams not playing the sort of passing football that the first team used to?