Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

Partick Thistle Football Club can today confirm the status of its playing staff for the start of the 2018/19 season.

The board of directors and management would like to thank those players who are leaving for their service to Partick Thistle Football Club.

Players contracted for season 2018/19

Stuart Bannigan (deal signed until August 2018)

Tomáš Černý

Kris Doolan

Christie Elliott

Chris Erskine

Andrew McCarthy

James Penrice

Blair Spittal

Jamie Sneddon

Callum Wilson

PLAYERS AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE TRANSFER

Adam Barton

Niall Keown

Miles Storey

PLAYERS RETURNING TO PARENT CLUB

Baily Cargill

Conor Sammon

PLAYER INVOKING RELEGATION CLAUSE IN CONTRACT TO LEAVE the CLUB

Ryan Edwards

PLAYERS NOT OFFERED A CONTRACT FOR SEASON 2018/19

Abdul Osman

Callum Booth

Daniel Devine

Mustapha Dumbuya

Ross Fleming

Gary Fraser

Connor Higgins

Mark Lamont

Steven Lawless

Paul McGinn

Neil McLaughlin

Kevin Nisbet

Ryan Scully

Martin Woods

I guess this is the 'end of the week' announcement then.

Very surprised at Booth and Lawless not being offered new deals, but that could be because we cannot now match what they've already got on the table from elsewhere.

Keown being binned seems harsh to me.

Depends what the 'relegation clause' was in Edwards' case - the reduction in money may not have been worth his while staying.

The rest I'm fine with.

Just hope those contracted all stay on - that looks like a decent nucleus on which to refurbish the squad.

Of the players leaving I am sorry to see Stevie Lawless and Callum Booth go.  Thought Fraser may have been given.a 6 month gig.

The rest their time is up.  I guess if there is no offer then Barton, Keown and Storey would stay?  Storey could maybe do a job, Keown was very disappointing this season compared to previous and f knows what I make of Barton as I can't make my mind up.

We have a spine and now time to add to it.  It may be looking in the past but I'd love Balatoni, Welsh, Paton, ATS back at the club.

There will be plenty players available plus we can get loans of Premiership teams now.

Much as expected but I thought we could have used Fraser and Lamont in the Championship. Probably surprised at Lamont going, he looks like a real prospect and Clyde fans were all raving about him.

Bannigan contract is simple. He has until August to prove his fitness.

Anyone know what Callum Wilson is like? I would assume he is getting a contract as he is potentially going to be part of the first team squad?

Scully leaving is a bit of a surprise. Given Cerny usually misses 4 or 5 games due to injury  it puts some onus on Sneddon

I assume Barton, Storey and Keown didn't trigger their release clause as per edwards. So does that mean they are trying to do the decent thing by the club and hopefully allowing us to recoup a transfer fee?

18 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I guess this is the 'end of the week' announcement then.

Very surprised at Booth and Lawless not being offered new deals, but that could be because we cannot now match what they've already got on the table from elsewhere.

Keown being binned seems harsh to me.

Depends what the 'relegation clause' was in Edwards' case - the reduction in money may not have been worth his while staying.

The rest I'm fine with.

Just hope those contracted all stay on - that looks like a decent nucleus on which to refurbish the squad.

Maybe keown wanted to leave or had a bad attitude in the dressing room - we will probably never know 

1 minute ago, Jag said:

We've just released five of the development squad.

Yes, and I think releasing McLaughlin and Lamont is a mistake, but presumably we have more than 5 coming into the Development squad and the manager sees them as better prospects.

If we are looking at bringing in more than 8-10 permanent players I would be surprised.

I think LIB has the best knowledge of development players coming through but i would agree lamont and mclsughlin seem to be a surprise both attack minded players that maybe merited having a chance mclaughlin has scored many goals that we have been missing 

Does anyone have any idea what direction the Club is moving in because I haven't got a clue, glad we kept Cerny , Dools and Erskine for experience and who care about the club but all are over 30
Would have given the young players like Lamont and McLaughlin 1 year deals to see if they could be developed , does anyone else think the Academy is a total waste of money and resources ?
Either the scouting for the Academy needs a total overhaul because no players apart from Lindsay and McCarthy have came through in the last 5 years or the coaches aren't good enough and I include Archie and Scott Paterson in this
Got a feeling we're going to fill our team with journey man pros instead of developing our own players , hopefully I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Does anyone have any idea what direction the Club is moving in because I haven't got a clue, glad we kept Cerny , Dools and Erskine for experience and who care about the club but all are over 30
Would have given the young players like Lamont and McLaughlin 1 year deals to see if they could be developed , does anyone else think the Academy is a total waste of money and resources ?
Either the scouting for the Academy needs a total overhaul because no players apart from Lindsay and McCarthy have came through in the last 5 years or the coaches aren't good enough and I include Archie and Scott Paterson in this
Got a feeling we're going to fill our team with journey man pros instead of developing our own players , hopefully I'm wrong.

The more I think about it the more I am baffled.

We aren't going to get three or four players a year from the academy but perhaps one or two a season would be realistic. If ever there was a time to bleed some youngsters it is now.

Callum Wilson is good but not physically ready yet. I really can't see who else, out with Sneddon, the first team can utilise.

Disappointed about Booth and Lawless, but as others have said if they have contract offers in the Premiership then no point offering them a deal. Seems also that the Gary Fraser story I heard was rubbish (he would stay if we went down). I think Woods might have been useful this season but maybe replacements are in mind? Also I guess Keown, Storey and Barton will go if another club takes them off our hands without us having to pay the players anything 

26 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I don't think that the younger players were necessarily not good enough, but Archie has no confidence in them. Hendry & Lindsay only got their chance due to injury and Penrice was a stand-out for Livi, but couldn't get into our woeful midfield or in at left back despite the injuries.