Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

The 3 players up for transfer are the last players we paid for,are we just trying to get some money back for them.If nobody is willing to pay money what happens.If we still have them at the beginning of the season will this impact on who bring in as we wont know what our requirements are and also what we have to spend budget wise?

Only ones I'm sorry to see go are Booth and Lawless, but if they have offers from Premiership clubs you can't blame them.

Bannigan, I would let go in August regardless.

I would like to keep Keown, he seemed injury plagued last season. I would like to keep Storey( mainly because I have some kind of man love for him) .

The rest of the squad seems ok. As we already knew, there is a big rebuilding job on. Which begs the question. Are those players staying still on the same salary as before?

I ask that because it has been stated that we have the same budget. If So, is it a squad that will be fairly tight on a good salary or are we assembling a fairly big squad on smaller pay packets?

Interesting times ahead.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Only ones I'm sorry to see go are Booth and Lawless, but if they have offers from Premiership clubs you can't blame them.

Bannigan, I would let go in August regardless.

I would like to keep Keown, he seemed injury plagued last season. I would like to keep Storey( mainly because I have some kind of man love for him) .

The rest of the squad seems ok. As we already knew, there is a big rebuilding job on. Which begs the question. Are those players staying still on the same salary as before?

I ask that because it has been stated that we have the same budget. If So, is it a squad that will be fairly tight on a good salary or are we assembling a fairly big squad on smaller pay packets?

Interesting times ahead.

What is it you see as the difference between Bannigan and Keown.

We know that Bannigan has had an injury that is proving troublesome to clear up.

Keown got injured during his pre season at Reading and never looked like he had recovered last season.

Would we not be taking a chance on his fitness again ?

As I said we can all argue about players here and there but overall it’s the right move.....we don’t know all the details and what the players said they wanted .....let’s hope we get some cash in for the ones we are transferring and wish the rest well

9 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Just say we had to play a game tomorrow and did not want to rely on the transfer listed players. Looks like we would have to go with the following (in 4-2-3-1 formation):

Jamie Sneddon

Christie Elliott     Tomas Cerny     Douglas Clark     James Penrice

Andrew McCarthy     Stuart Bannigan

Blair Spittal     Callum Wilson     Chris Erskine

Kris Doolan

Apart from the makeshift central defence of Tomas Cerny and Douglas Clark, that has the glimmer of a decent team. Good to watch and would play the Thistle Way.

Add Arnold Clark to drive on the left. Ken Clarke would be a solid right winger.

Signing Arthur C Clarke in January could bring about a fairytale end to the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

We know that Bannigan has had an injury that is proving troublesome to clear up.

Keown got injured during his pre season at Reading and never looked like he had recovered last season.

The difference being that Bannigan has hardly been seen in the last two years.

Keown played some games last season and using the same yardstick as Bannigan and Fraser we could see if he can get fit during the close season and play next season.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Stuart Bannigan had a serious cruciate knee injury , we know if he gets back to any sort of level which we all know he can play at he will be a great asset to the team, and has the ability to be the focal point of the team .He's now back training again , so fingers crossed.

Niall Keown , as far as I know didn't have any major injuries but missing the last years pre season training obviously hindered him and he never really got back to full speed .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, allyo said:

I would love to see Bannigan back. If there was such a thing as a thistle way of playing, I think it was built around him. His injury may well have been when we lost that. 

Think of  Ryan Edwards attempt at replacing Bannigan and you really appreciate how good he was pre injury.

I'm sorry and I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong, but if you seriously believe that with Archie's transfer history he can rebuild a team over a few weeks that will challenge for the title then I'm afraid you are letting your heart rule your head.  His signing history is pretty dire I'd say.  Why didn't he trust Penrice over the last portion of the season instead of shoe horning  Christie in there? Why did it take him the vast majority of the season to finally start playing Macarthy in midfield when everyone and his dug could see he was a better option than the players he was starting? Ironically he has now decided to keep both of them. His attacking signings have been , to put it mildly disappointing. Take Dools and Erskines goals out over the last 2 seasons and the stats are pretty dire. I'd say his scouting network and ability to spot a gem for reasonable or no money in the lower leagues  is pretty dire.  He is not going to have the luxury of blooding young players because it's pretty clear the board have given him one season plus he's not exactly known for taking risks. Add to this his teams notorious slow stars to the season with fairly settled teams and for me it's the recipe for scraping in to the play offs at best. Anyway I'm away to change my wet knickers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marco77 said:

Definitely the clear out needed. Not up for bringing back x,y & z from previous campaigns. Fresh faces needed to try and install a team that fights for each other. 

I've nobody really in mind but if  x,y or z had the necessary fight in him and is deemed to be a team player then I don't see a problem. Provided of course any player returning was only a back up/squad player.

Other than that it's not just a case of fresh faces. The bulk of the players signed should ideally have most of their career ahead of them. That's been our policy for a while now. There's been nothing wrong with the policy just latterly the actual selection. I do tho' think we need a Shug Murray type of signing.  None of the senior players retained are exactly what you could call a man of steel. Need someone like Murray around the squad. He may not play every week but would still be influential.

The two things I feel that have contributed to our present state is the lack of a Lambie style "nutter" and the average age creeping up. The latter is reflected by our lack of pace. The former by our nervousness and inability to see games out.

4 minutes ago, jigjag said:

I'm sorry and I genuinely hope I'm proved wrong, but if you seriously believe that with Archie's transfer history he can rebuild a team over a few weeks that will challenge for the title then I'm afraid you are letting your heart rule your head.  His signing history is pretty dire I'd say.  Why didn't he trust Penrice over the last portion of the season instead of shoe horning  Christie in there? Why did it take him the vast majority of the season to finally start playing Macarthy in midfield when everyone and his dug could see he was a better option than the players he was starting? Ironically he has now decided to keep both of them. His attacking signings have been , to put it mildly disappointing. Take Dools and Erskines goals out over the last 2 seasons and the stats are pretty dire. I'd say his scouting network and ability to spot a gem for reasonable or no money in the lower leagues  is pretty dire.  He is not going to have the luxury of blooding young players because it's pretty clear the board have given him one season plus he's not exactly known for taking risks. Add to this his teams notorious slow stars to the season with fairly settled teams and for me it's the recipe for scraping in to the play offs at best. Anyway I'm away to change my wet knickers. 

Agree with every word   you saved me a lot of time and thought.....