Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

2 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Right  I'll ask the obvious.

What is Christie Elliott's correct position?

barney i'll answer your question

elliott gives 100% to the cause    i remember well the goal at airdrie

however and i really don't like saying this but christie at best should be an impact player

Just now, watties wallies said:

barney i'll answer your question

elliott gives 100% to the cause    i remember well the goal at airdrie

however and i really don't like saying this but christie at best should be an impact player

Thanks WW - but you haven't really answered the question - so I'll repeat, what is Christie Elliott's correct position?

christie is actually a centre forward 

if i were picking the team he would not be in my starting 11 

he is imho an honest professional gives 100%  but never feels at ease playing  fullback

if i were archie i would stick him up front he has the physique  and pace that would maybe trouble an opposition defence maybe as a sub late on in the game

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Right  I'll ask the obvious.

What is Christie Elliott's correct position?

Right wing back. No question in my mind. Weirdly, I don't actually think he's particularly adaptable. I've never seen him playing nearly as well in any other position, with possible exception of wide right in a 4-4-2 (which is a similar position).

15 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Would be interesting for a stats man to find out what his average conceded goals per game was. 

I make it he's made 39 first team competitive and friendly appearances (including 5 as substitute).   Goals conceded = 59 when starting the game = roughly 1.5 per game.  8 shut-outs in these 34 starts.  More difficult to work out goals conceded when he came on as a sub.  The 5 games saw 7 goals conceded but the scores when he came on are not readily to hand (by me at least!).

ETA:-  I think the 8 shut-outs include any as a sub so it's 8 in 39.

Edited by a f kincaid

2 minutes ago, king of spain said:

What a bonkers reply. His correct position as a converted right back as he’s proven he’s mince everywhere else?

Bonkers because you disagree?

I think people still judge Christie Elliott partly on the basis that he was a rubbish striker, and partly because there are constant true but slightly patronising comments referencing his fitness and work rate. But he hasn't been a striker for about 5 years.

Judged purely on his abilities and performances as a right back, particularly over the last two seasons, I think he's a good player, easily good enough for Thistle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to know heard from another coach whom works elsewhere and who knows Archie well (also an ex jag) said he had a conversation with Archie about 4 weeks ago and that the clear out was going to happen whether we stayed up or went down. Apparently he admitted he was having trouble with the dressing room and Osman was causing more trouble by introducing a no confidence in Archie situation. No idea if its truth or just another lot of bull. Lets be honest most of what comes out peoples mouths about this sort of stuff lacks integrity and honesty, so believe it if you want but to me it makes a lot of sense, especially when you hear Archies interview, I think a lot of players had decided they were heading for the exit door anyway!

moving on though, well done to archie for clearing out the dead wood. Actually excited for a summer signing spree for the first time in years!

bring it on

Just to add a meaningless fact to the conspiracy theory, have a look at the Playing Squad Update list on the main site -

When one looks at this section -  PLAYERS NOT OFFERED A CONTRACT FOR SEASON 2018/19  -

Osman's names is at the very top of the list yet every name that follows is in perfect alphabetical order; Booth, Devine, Dumbaya etc.

I'm a bit sad that he's offski; he was a man machine when he first came to the club / subsequent seasons and was always great with the fans.

Poor in the last season though, granted. Maybe he was frustrated through injury, who knows. Will definitely look back and remember him fondly in the future though.

• Like 1

Stuart Adam's post is interesting on a number of fronts.

If any of it is halfway true - and for the purposes of debate let's assume it is - then it's an admission by Archie that he wasn't in control of certain elements in that dressing room and that his recruitment policy was brutally flawed.

An admission of that nature with four weeks to go suggest that he may have been hoping to get over the line safely before bleaching the squad. If that was the case then he ran out of luck. To me there was certainly plenty of evidence in the performances post the break that only elements of the squad (rather than the whole squad) were behind him. Two wins out of sixteen (eighteen including the play-offs) screams a story.

The only thing that feels better one week on is that there are 11 whose presence in a Jags shirt we will not have to suffer ever again. I'll exonerate Booth, Edwards and Lawless all of whose contributions were certainly worthy over the last few years.

Edited by Barney Rubble

If any of this was true, particularly the Osman thing, then Archie should’ve publicly fired him. Can’t stand for that & I think could’ve helped the other players concentrate on the task in hand. Letting Osman shuffle off to milk another club is too good for him. 

Starting to sound like I have a personal vendetta with him, I don’t, just think he was the most underperforming player & give he was meant to be captain, inexcusable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Stuart Adam's post is interesting on a number of fronts.

If any of it is halfway true - and for the purposes of debate let's assume it is - then it's an admission by Archie that he wasn't in control of certain elements in that dressing room and that his recruitment policy was brutally flawed.

Can you clarify how Osman disrupting tje dressing room demonstrates Archie's recruitment policy is brutally flawed.

4 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Ok, I'll continue pulling teeth.

What, in your opinion, demonstrated Archie's recruitment policy was brutally flawed?

Dumbuya (12 games in two years)!!!, Nitriansky, Storey, Pogba, Azeez,.

If I was being really nasty, which I'm not, Woods could be added to that list.

Edited by Barney Rubble

23 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dumbuya (12 games in two years)!!!, Nitriansky, Storey, Pogba, Azeez,.

If I was being really nasty, which I'm not, Woods could be added to that list.

So nothing to do with the revelations in Stuart's post as you originally suggested.

In fact it reads like you were actually just using Stuart's post to have a dig at the manager. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, potty trained said:

So nothing to do with the revelations in Stuart's post as you originally suggested.

In fact it reads like you were actually just using Stuart's post to have a dig at the manager. 

You only have to look at last season to have a dig at the manager, and rightly so, not just off the back of someones post.

For talking sake, say we stayed up, would we have had the same clear out? I would say yes. In that case, Archie would need to build a squad capable of remaining in the top flight. In my opinion, that squad should have been better than any team in the championship.

As we now find ourselves in that very same championship, Archie should be capable of assembling a team capable of winning the league. There can be no more excuses.

• Like 1

Yeah have to remember guys, as I said although this came from an Ex Jags player who is now coach at another club, it could well be a case of chinese whispers. He also mentioned that numerous other clubs coaches were aware of situation and nobody up north would touch Osman with a barge pole.

Whether or not its true, I am for one just glad he finally realised the team were his biggest problem this season, Yes he signed most of them, but he also led us to our best finish ever last year. Dont get me wrong, I wanted Archie out months ago, and again after last Sunday, but the clubs stuck by him, and as far as im concerned the matter is closed, Archie will have my full support again next term.

Players will come and go; but the fans will always stick by the Jags!