Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

5 hours ago, potty trained said:

3 long term injuries. So no other injuries are allowed to be considered when discussing the impact of injuries on results?

You guys crack me up  

Not rumour or hear say but fact.If you look at our results from the season just finished they got worse  when the injured players returned.Also the 2 play off games which we lost.Archibald has to prove he can build a team to at least challenge for promotion next season,imo not just for Thistles sake but his own as I would think his reputation took a big dive when we went down.

18 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Not rumour or hear say but fact.If you look at our results from the season just finished they got worse  when the injured players returned.Also the 2 play off games which we lost.Archibald has to prove he can build a team to at least challenge for promotion next season,imo not just for Thistles sake but his own as I would think his reputation took a big dive when we went down.

So you don't think injuries had any impact at all on our season?

And if we'd had an injury free season with a full squad competing for places, results would have been just the same?

3 hours ago, potty trained said:

3 long term injuries. So no other injuries are allowed to be considered when discussing the impact of injuries on results?

You guys crack me up  

Banzo signed a 2 year contract months after learning he was going to be out for over a year.

It was similar with Fraser as I said. Muzzy was again much the same.

It then became a massive crisis when you we lost elliot and booth as the team lost its shape.

We dont have the resources to carry passengers like we did. Maybe we showed too much loyalty but things like that have cost us more than just wages.

1 hour ago, potty trained said:

And if we'd had an injury free season with a full squad competing for places, results would have been just the same?

No team has an injury free season.The 13 games before the winter break 17 points.13 games after winter break,when injured players returned 9 points.so as I said results worse when injured players returned. Also Livingston had a number of players out for the play off games against us.

Edited by Auld Jag

The injured players, or at least the midfielders, didn't return.  Banzo played a few games at the beginning of the season and there were indications that he would be back after the Winter Break; Fraser finally recovered from injury but almost literally didn't kick a ball for us...apart from the one that whacked that Celtic Fan; and Osman did come back but chose to lie down "injured" while Dundee equalised.

Around this time last year when Sean Welsh was released, several posted on here to the effect that we had plenty midfielders but I had reservations about the fitness history of Bannigan, Fraser & Osman, the capabilities of Barton & Edwards and the inexperience of McCarthy.

There's no doubt we suffered from injuries but that doesn't absolve Archie from responsibility for not foreseeing and solving the problems.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Going with the attitude of a lot of that squad, having them injured probably spared us automatic relegation.

in serious injuries and suspensions do come into it but that’s where a manager needs to adapt and strengthen (if board allows) not strengthening even just to freshen things up in January had a big factor in us going down

21 minutes ago, javeajag said:

How you can prove we would have gotten more points without injuries 

I wasn't really commenting on the injuries and points, I was trying to win you the lottery so that you could buy players (or the Club), open a hospital for sick footballers in Maryhill, or other acts of philanthropy.    As to the effects of injured payers on the points total, they are one factor in many, and I haven't a clue how important they were. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

No team has an injury free season.The 13 games before the winter break 17 points.13 games after winter break,when injured players returned 9 points.so as I said results worse when injured players returned. Also Livingston had a number of players out for the play off games against us.

So injuries impacted our season. At least we're in agreement  

40 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Going with the attitude of a lot of that squad, having them injured probably spared us automatic relegation.

in serious injuries and suspensions do come into it but that’s where a manager needs to adapt and strengthen (if board allows) not strengthening even just to freshen things up in January had a big factor in us going down

And as you say, if the board allows, or if the players were available that would actually strengthen us. 

We don't know who turned us down, how much was available etc. 

57 minutes ago, Winter of '63 said:

The injured players, or at least the midfielders, didn't return.  Banzo played a few games at the beginning of the season and there were indications that he would be back after the Winter Break; Fraser finally recovered from injury but almost literally didn't kick a ball for us...apart from the one that whacked that Celtic Fan; and Osman did come back but chose to lie down "injured" while Dundee equalised.

Around this time last year when Sean Welsh was released, several posted on here to the effect that we had plenty midfielders but I had reservations about the fitness history of Bannigan, Fraser & Osman, the capabilities of Barton & Edwards and the inexperience of McCarthy.

There's no doubt we suffered from injuries but that doesn't absolve Archie from responsibility for not foreseeing and solving the problems.

Exactly. 

28 minutes ago, potty trained said:

Do you think Osman's long term injury couldve had an impact on his frame of mind when he returned?

Who knows ?

its all wishful thinking ....it was what it was 

you might THINK it had some kind of effect but no one knows 

the FACT is we didn’t improve when they came back which kind of undermines your implication 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Who knows ?

its all wishful thinking ....it was what it was 

you might THINK it had some kind of effect but no one knows 

the FACT is we didn’t improve when they came back which kind of undermines your implication 

And to completely discounted them as having no impact and look at it in a very binary fashion does you no favours.

Strange that only a select few are allowed to discuss what ifs and hypotheticals.

Have to say, we all need to step back and take a chill pill.

final game of the season, the guy in front of me had a go at me because I was being very vocal and laughing at our teams insistence on going down each wing. He rather bluntly turned round and told me I was stupid and didnt see the 10 Livi players standing in the middle of the park and we were trying to work something. I told him we had been trying the same thing all season to no avail, but I’ll be honest I felt a resent towards this guy who I didnt even know (he probably felt the same about me) not because of him or his love for Partick Thistle, but because the team being so bad had caused us fans to turn on each other.

So lets take time to reflect and realise that we all want the same thing, for the Jags to be better. We all want to win. No need for pettiness it wont make you feel any better. It doesn’t make you right just because you see it that way.

Lets come together again at the start of the season, and work towards our final goal. Promotion.

• Like 6

Just now, stuart_adam said:

final game of the season, the guy in front of me had a go at me because I was being very vocal and laughing at our teams insistence on going down each wing. He rather bluntly turned round and told me I was stupid and didnt see the 10 Livi players standing in the middle of the park and we were trying to work something. I told him we had been trying the same thing all season to no avail, but I’ll be honest I felt a resent towards this guy who I didnt even know (he probably felt the same about me) not because of him or his love for Partick Thistle, but because the team being so bad had caused us fans to turn on each other.

So lets take time to reflect and realise that we all want the same thing, for the Jags to be better. We all want to win. No need for pettiness it wont make you feel any better. It doesn’t make you right just because you see it that way.

Lets come together again at the start of the season, and work towards our final goal. Promotion.

Oh and I forgot the other goal ‘To bring the Scottish cup back home to Maryhill’

11 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

Superb post sir :worship:

8 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

team being so bad had caused us fans to turn on each other.

That's a very insightful comment. There's been a horrible tension watching Thistle this season and it can't have been nice playing as it sure as hell wasn't nice watching.  Our entry into the top six last year seemed to bring an attitude of entitlement in our support which is never good anywhere.

It used to be that the Thistle support were quite funny and capable of helping the team by making light of the situation. This season the away support provided the humour. For example Livi's "Just a sh*te jack sparrow" chant was very funny but also helped release some pressure from their team. Only chant I can remember from the thistle support was a half-hearted attempt at "we're only here for the Wimpy" at County which at 4-0 down quickly lost its appeal.

Its not just the playing staff who need an attitude adjustment to make watching football at Firhill a more enjoyable experience

• Like 1

There's an anger and disappointment because we were shocking this year. I dont think we were outstanding either when we got into the top 6, it was more a relief that we avoided the relegation dog fight. I dont think anybody felt an entitlement at all, its just nobody wanted us to not be so poor and hard to watch

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, potty trained said:

And to completely discounted them as having no impact and look at it in a very binary fashion does you no favours.

Strange that only a select few are allowed to discuss what ifs and hypotheticals.

Who said you couldn’t speculate ? Please carry on 

but let’s just accept its you pr opinion not supported by any facts or evidence 

I think I pointed to the fact that after they came back it made no difference 

and we have just about let them all go 

51 minutes ago, stuart_adam said:

Bang on. Well said. 

A lot of these threads are becoming a waste of time due to petty nonsense.

The club is not at a good place right now and may even be heading for a few wilderness years. The worst thing that could happen is apathy so differing views and even falling out is good but pointless goading is, well, pointless!!

Anyway, we'll never know what effect having the injured players available would have made :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Bang on. Well said. 

A lot of these threads are becoming a waste of time due to petty nonsense.

The club is not at a good place right now and may even be heading for a few wilderness years. The worst thing that could happen is apathy so differing views and even falling out is good but pointless goading is, well, pointless!!

Anyway, we'll never know what effect having the injured players available would have made :)

It could be worse: