Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:31 PM, potty trained said:

So injuries impacted our season. At least we're in agreement  

Yes,when the long awaited injured players returned our results got worse.In other words we done better without them.

Edited by Auld Jag

23 hours ago, MonehJags said:

There's an anger and disappointment because we were shocking this year. I dont think we were outstanding either when we got into the top 6, it was more a relief that we avoided the relegation dog fight. I dont think anybody felt an entitlement at all, its just nobody wanted us to not be so poor and hard to watch

Agree.Lets face it we  were  relegated by a Livingston side who budgeted to finish 8th in the championship and also had more than their share of injury problems when they played us.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree.Lets face it we  were  relegated by a Livingston side who budgeted to finish 8th in the championship and also had more than their share of injury problems when they played us.

In years to come our team of failures this season just finished will be looked back upon as being truly abysmal.

Edited by Jaggernaut

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

In years to come our team of failures this season just finished will be looked back upon as being truly abysmal.

I hope so. The worst case is that five years from now we look back fondly on a time when we had players who could compete in the premier league. 

12 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think it will be remembered as a poor and underperforming team which should have been capable of garnering the point or two more which would have saved us. While undoubtedly it has been an unpleasant season (no relegation is fun), objectively speaking, the team is nowhere near as bad as, for example, this one from December 2005:

Colin Stewart, Murray, McCulloch, Brady, Smyth, Billy Gibson, James Gibson, Gillies, Santala (Strachan 87), McConalogue (Andy Gibson 89), Kilgannon (Craig 55). Subs Not Used: Arthur, Snowdon.

And yet this team finished the season with a (barely deserved) promotion after finishing the lowest placed professional side in Scotland. There were plenty of other worse sides before, and arguably even since, this one. However bad it feels now, this side is one that has been relegated from the top division in 11th (via the playoffs) on goal difference. We have had far worse.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 2

Grant Murray is one of these players that divides fans' opinions.  By the time that the whistle blew at Peterhead on 14 May 2006 he had played every minute of all 56 matches (52 competitive and 4 friendlies).  With extra time taken into account he played the equivalent of 57.3 matches that season.   Even with a limited squad (numerically and quality-wise) the Dickster could surely have dropped him if he had wanted to - but he didn't.

The worst defender I've seen in a Thistle jersey was Kenny Brannigan.  I saw him playing at East Fife and I could hear Alan Archibald playing alongside him telling him where to stand, what to do and where to pass the ball if it happened to come his way.  A desperate game with people around me reduced to betting on which pile of coal the overhead crane would pick from next in the power station opposite.

Edited by eljaggo

38 minutes ago, a f kincaid said:

It's all about opinions.  Not the best defender we've ever had by a long way but I certainly didn't think he was "rubbish".  Campbell must have seen something in him.

The fact that Campbell saw something in him wouldn't change my view

20 minutes ago, DUFCFAN said:

We’ve just signed Callum Booth from you guys, what like is he? Can’t possibly be any worse than Jamie Robson who we’ve just handed a new 2-year deal to.

I dare say Spittal’s not been up to much in his time at Firhill?

Booth will be a great signing for Dundee United. Bit of a surprise he has gone there, as I though the reason we let him go was he wanted to stay in The Premiership. 

Spittal had his moments this season and scored a few goals early on. He went through a few periods of being off form but wasn't playing in a team full of confidence. I'd like to think we haven't seen the best of him yet. He definitely has the ability.

5 minutes ago, Jag said:

Booth will be a great signing for Dundee United. Bit of a surprise he has gone there, as I though the reason we let him go was he wanted to stay in The Premiership. 

It depends whether he fully recovers from the injury he sustained at the start of last season.

He wasn’t the same player when he returned at the new year