Playing Squad Update

BowenBoys

3 hours ago, eljaggo said:

The worst defender I've seen in a Thistle jersey was Kenny Brannigan.  I saw him playing at East Fife and I could hear Alan Archibald playing alongside him telling him where to stand, what to do and where to pass the ball if it happened to come his way.  A desperate game with people around me reduced to betting on which pile of coal the overhead crane would pick from next in the power station opposite.

I’ll counter your Brannigan with Jukka Santana. People forget he was brought in as a defender but was so bad he was shifted up front to get him out the way. I know he then scored for fun (god knows how) but as a defender he is the worst I can remember.

Booth was average at best. 

Part of a defence (when fit) that shipped goals for fun.

Some Thistle fans seem to have a habit of looking at ex players with the tinted specs on. 

Anyway, Booth leaving gives Penrice a clear run at the left back position. Let’s see if he takes it, this is what the Academy is there for after all. 

• Like 1

Im actually quite glad to see the back of booth tbh. I agree with previous poster that he was average at best. He was too weak in the tackle for my liking and his attempts at heading a ball were laughable at times. I'm looking forward to see penrice getting his chance to make the position his own. 

• Like 1

I kind of agree with the clear out. It seems to me that, as a fan, we can't keep injured players on indefinately, much as I would like us to.

I think the next few months will tell us whether Archies 'out' will be betttered by Archie's 'in'.

That will be the measure of the man.

He has to get this right,,

So, no pressure.

Duke’s reminder of our 2005 line-up makes me shudder. We forget how bad things actually were.

Give me most of our relegated team over that 2005 shower of imposters and misfits.

Get recent events in perspective, onwards & upwards!

56 minutes ago, douglas clark said:

I kind of agree with the clear out. It seems to me that, as a fan, we can't keep injured players on indefinately, much as I would like us to.

I think the next few months will tell us whether Archies 'out' will be betttered by Archie's 'in'.

That will be the measure of the man.

He has to get this right,,

So, no pressure.

The players coming in will be worse footballers than Barton, Edwards, Keown & Co.  Archie will have to take these players who will have less ability and make them play  better as a unit. One that can win games.   It could be done but  a tough challenge indeed! 

1 hour ago, sandy said:

Duke’s reminder of our 2005 line-up makes me shudder. We forget how bad things actually were.

Give me most of our relegated team over that 2005 shower of imposters and misfits.

Get recent events in perspective, onwards & upwards!

We just cant write of the season just finished as being bad but we have had worst.We were relegated by a team who budgeted to finish 8th in the championship.We have to learn from the mistakes of last season , we cant afford to repeat them  if we do there will be no upwards.

With pre season starting I would guess 3 weeks on Monday we really need to start getting players in. If we are serious about challenging for the title we can’t have players coming in mid August with no/little pre season under their belts. Add in the fact most of these guys will not have played with each other we really need a full squad for day 1 of pre season

7 minutes ago, potty trained said:

We stated on the official site that we didn't offer him a contract. 

But I'd imagine that could mean either. As in, if he'd already said he wanted to leave wouldn't the club just say they didn't offer, rather than saying they offered but he knocked them back. 

The majority regard Booth as not very good.

But Penrice was never selected ahead of him. Not even when he was injured again and we had McGinn who offered nothing going forward and Christie whose left foot is a liability.

Now Penrice has to save the world!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

But Penrice was never selected ahead of him. Not even when he was injured again and we had McGinn who offered nothing going forward and Christie whose left foot is a liability.

He only has to save the Jags.

7 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

Good point. Penrice has got very little first team experience as a left back. I see him more as a midfielder.