World Cup Pop Up

BowenBoys

2 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Brazil v Costa Rica 0 - 0 after 90 mins.

Doesn't count, I'm afraid. Seven players hoping for a goalless game today.

BB. I would have to dissent from the above and say that I am hoping for a 13 goal thriller with all the Ss--Switzerland 6 Serbia 7. I would happily give up my measly single bonus point for such a feast of entertainment (especially as 6 other dudes would be getting the bonus point as well which sort of spoils the uniqueness).

Knockout Stage

The first two ties in the Round of 16 will be known tomorrow. So I'll explain the rules.

As well as amassing  points ( :lol: ) in the group stage, you are also determining which teams will be available to you for the knockout stage.

Looking at the teams you selected to finish 1st and 2nd in the groups, all those that finish 1st OR 2nd in the group, in the real world, will be your teams moving into the next phase. The order doesn't matter.

In the knockout stage you must select the team that you think will win each tie, if both teams are your teams. If you only have one team in the match, the selection is automatic. Selected teams that win the tie will move on to the next round. In the Semi Final, if your selected team loses it will be available in the Third Place match.

For the Round of 16, I will publish the ties on this thread as they are known. This will give you more time to decide on any selections. In subsequent rounds there won't be much time so be prepared.

Points are awarded for each successful selection as shown below

5b2f4ed8b4eb5_ScreenShot2018-06-24at08_23_01.png.84f553b280893c17fb6dd5e406efa2f2.png

Uncontroversially, the winner will be decided by adding together all the points and seeing who has the most.

At this point I should declare that I will be away on holiday after the semi finals. I'm not sure what internet connection will be available through the Great Firewall of China. Therefore, I am delighted that elevenone has agreed to see the competition through to its exciting conclusion. I'm very grateful to John for this help.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice Joachim Loew mouthing the Teutonic equivalent of the words  Get it Recht up you, PartickderHund, as Tony Kroos' shot nestled in the top corner?

The German squad has been seriously rattled by the pre-tournament revelation that I was the only expert pundit to predict that Mexico and Sweden would qualify from this group.

• Like 1

Round of 16

Well, that was interesting...

We now have the first 2 ties of the knockout stage.

5b314c3a822f9_ScreenShot2018-06-25at21_03_49.png.b05f0ff9528431e0a32785a03c5d2747.png

Your teams are shown as white squares. Your selections are marked X. 

Where you have a choice of teams you must make a selection. Only teams you select in this round will be available in the next, if they qualify.  Happy to take selections as the games are decided or all at once at the end.

Post here or by PM.

Deadline for all submissions 3pm, Saturday 30 June

BB. I have to take Uruguay to beat Portugal as I have Luis Suarez down as top scorer and he needs a few more games to catch Harry Kane.

I will also take the opportunity to throw out a random  two part  World Cup question  to see who  jumps in first.

Name all 3 current or past Liverpool players who scored in the World Cup today, and which of the 3 has scored the most goals in the tournament so far?

Round of 16

4 ties decided now.

5b329e1497cf9_ScreenShot2018-06-26at21_08_08.png.c77c05478aea90b4744d0fa673de12e4.png

Your teams are shown as white squares. Your selections are marked X. 

Where you have a choice of teams you must make a selection. Only teams you select in this round will be available in the next, if they qualify.  Happy to take selections as the games are decided or all at once at the end.

Post here or by PM.

Deadline for all submissions 3pm, Saturday 30 June