Paukea

15 minutes ago, RaveOnBobbyLaw said:

I was on board until shankland. Hes mince. Ill go: 

1. ATS

2. Scott Cuthbert

3 Craig Sibbald. Dundee Utd trying to sign him apparently 

Wouldn’t have thought ATS would re join 

like the sound of the other two 

Want to be looking at players ~ 25 years old. Guys who can grow and develop, and then step right up to the Premiership. With Cerny, Doolan, and Erskine all well into their 30's, I wouldn't want to add too many older guys. 

Craig Moore at Ayr United has scored 19 goals last season, so may be worth a look, as might Lewis Milne who scored 10 from midfield. These are certainly left-field targets, but could complement a team of decent players. 

36 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Chris miller

Exactly this. Would be perfect to compliment McCarthy’s energy with a bit more composure.

If o’ware wanted to remain in the Championship, he could just stay at Morton. Think he’ll want to try the Premiership.

If Hibs want to send Oli Shaw on loan, I’d take him. Think if we can create chances he’ll score a barrowload in that league.

The only former player I’d want back is Frans. Comfortably the best centre back we had in our stay in the top flight (other than Lindsay, obviously), and he’d stroll the championship. Doubt we could afford him though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaveOnBobbyLaw said:

No to ATS and then suggest Craigen....

Craigen has been consistently productive in the Championship (or whatever they call the second league these days) since leaving us,. On that basis he should not be discounted.

Frans, who should never have been let go in the first place, would be the only other worthy of consideration. Even then wages, and his personal circumstances, mean it's a non-starter.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Want to be looking at players ~ 25 years old. Guys who can grow and develop, and then step right up to the Premiership. With Cerny, Doolan, and Erskine all well into their 30's, I wouldn't want to add too many older guys. 

Craig Moore at Ayr United has scored 19 goals last season, so may be worth a look, as might Lewis Milne who scored 10 from midfield. These are certainly left-field targets, but could complement a team of decent players. 

Agree entirely with your first paragraph. However, many of us tend to know more about the older players as they have kept turning up to good effect against Thistle over the years! Michael Gardyne would be an obvious example. Must be ancient. Would have been a great signing 5 years ago, but not now.

What we should hope for are a couple of well-known and proven players, plus a number of younger guys whom we have never heard of, but are bubbling under the surface and ready for a breakthrough season. The Stevie Lawless of 6 years ago, hovering on the fringes at Motherwell and completely unknown to me, is the sort of player that springs to mind. It must require a fair amount of insider knowledge and good scouting and contacts to unearth players like that.

A player I have mentioned before who may still be relatively young and hungry and with something to prove is Sam Stanton. The shining light in the poor Hibs team that slid into relegation, I thought that he would walk the Championship the next season, but for whatever reason he dipped and has since then flitted from team to team without settling. I saw that he had turned up at Tannadice last season, but do not know if he has now been freed. Unless injury has taken its toll or his early talent has evaporated or he has attitude problems, could be the kind of player we need. Incisive attacker and could both score and create goals.

All for signing younger lesser known guys with a point to prove, but the spine of the team needs a bit of experience and knowledge of the division.  Shug Murray’s influence on the last title winning side is overlooked. Brought a calmness and authority to a side of youngsters. 

Loved a sending off against Morton, though...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paolo said:

There's a big rebuilding job to be be done, what players do you think we should bring to help us win the league?

I suggest Anthony Stokes,  Kenny Miller,  Willow Flood.

Stokes, Miller and Flood? I suggest that you may have lost your mind. 

Wouldn’t touch Stokes or Flood.

Id take Miller on a player coach role,

Thomas O’Ware from Morton would be top of my priorities list.  Jordan Thompson from Rangers

Jason Naismith from County

Blair Alston from St J

Scott McDonald player coach if no Kenny Miller

id also take Paul Paton and Higginbotham back

And Calum Morris from Dunfermline

theres probably a load more! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RaveOnBobbyLaw said:

I was on board until shankland. Hes mince. Ill go: 

1. ATS

2. Scott Cuthbert

3 Craig Sibbald. Dundee Utd trying to sign him apparently 

I think Shankland would actually  be an okay signing given we only have one striker in Doolan, McCall seems to have really helped improve his confidence and he seems to have done really well for the Honest men

Might get pelters for this but  Louis Longridge really impressed me when I saw Falkirk.   He is a  free agent now as he could not agree a deal with Falkirk.  He is not the quickest and will not score 15+ goals for us but he has a football brain on him. Likes to drop into the hole and create. Question marks is would he work with Erskine and do we want to sign players who will not make the step up if we get promoted. Scored 7 goals for Falkirk in 25 matches -  a decent record given the way he plays. 

If we could get him on a one year deal and not break the bank he would be good for us.