Team rebuilding

Paukea

8 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Given my points on Erskine's quotes, as well as the suspicion that the board are not being as forthcoming as they should be (given that we were relegated 2 weeks ago, and in has been a media blackout since then), if Archibald is in any doubt over his ability to assemble this squad, he should walk sooner rather than later. This is just my humble opinion, but if Archibald was to assemble a squad from scratch this season, and also win us promotion, it would constitute probably the greatest achievement by a Thistle manager since '71. If the board are indeed serious about the promotion ultimatum, our manager is going to have absolutely no room for error when signing players (from an even smaller market). I think most would agree that Archibald's performance in the market over the past 5 years has been hit and miss, and unfortunately we cannot afford any "misses" this time around.

These factors aren't helped by his dour and almost apathetic mood on the recent interview. It was much of the same platitudes as we have heard  over the past few seasons ("we are starting behind everyone else, etc). I can only assume that one or two of the guys that County and United signed over the past few days would have been on our radar, so I pray that we haven't missed out on them.

Where do you get ' if Archibald is in any doubt over his ability to assemble this squad' from? Nothing that has been said by anybody should lead you to believe this. Archie knows the league very well. 

10 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I can only assume that one or two of the guys that County and United signed over the past few days would have been on our radar, so I pray that we haven't missed out on them.

Certainly hope we haven't missed out on signing the likes of Vigurs, Curran Aird & Clark. Just as certainly hope we'll sign better players. 

I think Archie is on a hiding to nothing this season.  

He is in his last year of contract 

He has to completely re-build a team in a new league, and hope they gel immediately 

The fans will be on his back unless we come out the blocks flying

His remit is to win promotion in a bloody difficult league

A hell of amount of pressure on him, and he must know he probably knows that unless he pulls an absolute miracle this season he’s looking for a new job in May

• Like 1

On 31/05/2018 at 7:20 PM, Garscube Road End said:

I'd be surprised if we are in a position to actually pay any transfer fees. The budget will be used for all levels from development squad , reserve team and first team. I'd think it will be freed and out of contract signings.

Thought Higgy was out of contract and free, GRE?

I would take Higgy. I'm not usually one for bringing players back but him and Paton are two I would like to see return.

Also,  somebody mentioned Don Cowie recently. The more I think about it, the more I think he would be a great addition. Coming to end of his career but has more than enough quality for the championship.

O'Ware looks a decent signing. 

Yesterday we had heard nothing from the club and I was thinking sack the board, fire Archie, think I'll start watching Glasgow Warriors.....  One signing and I wish the season was starting next week.

Being a thistle supporter f"cks with your mind.  No wonder I go out wearing mismatching shoes and talking loudly  to myself!!!

13 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Guilty - I suggested Don Cowie a couple of weeks ago.

No idea whether he's available or not right now, but that is exactly the kind of player we need in there to support the youngsters this next season.

Horse's mouth stuff (had a few drinks with a very close relative to Cowie a few months back) but he'd almost certainly return up North if he was to play in our division. Would normally not be keen on signing players of his age but Cowie would be an ideal "Shug Murray" type character to have around the Club. Know for a fact (well nearly) that Cowie has still got more in the tank than Shug did when he signed. Good shout, Barney, but rather ironically for once moving to the North of Scotland  will not be an obstacle if Cowie moves on, indeed the opposite.

On 01/06/2018 at 8:43 PM, Yellow & Redneck said:

Find it a little contradictory that the board announced that reducing the playing budget would be a false economy, and at the same time, Erskine is in the Evening Times today saying that he took a significant drop in wages, yet decided to stay at Thistle. I have a sneaking suspicion that the board aren't being quite as honest as their statement suggested, or at least have exaggerated it. 

The wage drop was a clause in his contract. I'd be more concerned if we were rewarding last year's failings with Premiership level wages in the second tier.

1 hour ago, westertonjagfan said:

Fair point. I remember a fair few times Higgy flounced off, glaring at the bench.

He'll have done a fair bit of glaring at Dunfermline then as he's often subbed.

I don't see anything wrong with re-signing  an ex player as such as long as we can see that the team is in no way being built round the player. With very few exceptions I'd see any ex player signing as a squad player. For all I know Higginbotham could make a useful impact sub for instance. I'd rather see the major signings (guys who would be considered as starters) made first with squad augmented with likely fringe players at a later date. That order of course is ideally. I doubt there's any ex players we can sign that would be considered in the former group.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:49 PM, Paolo said:

Maybe he is about to chuck it ,  which would explain why there's been no news on players signing 

On 6/1/2018 at 11:26 PM, Paolo said:

Totally agree,  something does not seem right at the moment,  the board and management team are hiding the truth,  i doubt very much that team rebuilding was underway the next day, as it said in the statement,  until i see any interviews done with Beattie or Archie on SKY Sports or STV       or  BBC   television,  

Mostly just quoting these posts to point out that this rubbish doesn't come from me.   We let go about 15 players the day after.  

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, Yellow & Redneck said:

Find it a little contradictory that the board announced that reducing the playing budget would be a false economy, and at the same time, Erskine is in the Evening Times today saying that he took a significant drop in wages, yet decided to stay at Thistle. I have a sneaking suspicion that the board aren't being quite as honest as their statement suggested, or at least have exaggerated it. 

It's probable Players will make up the loss with extra win bonus's   

3 hours ago, a f kincaid said:

Wot’s a win bonus?  You’ll have to explain that little -used technical term.

A significant increase to a players salary dependent on the team they're playing for winning a match. I'm reliably informed that ours were paid directly into the players' bank accounts at 4.35pm on a Saturday and  9.20pm  when playing midweek. 

• Like 1

So currently we need

Goal keeper

Centre Defender

Left Back (Penrice is still young)

1 center midfielders (Banzo only contracted till August)

left winger

Right Winger

Thats 7 players plus subs and cover needed, current 1st team looks like this

GK?

Elliot.          CB?       O’Ware       LB?

CM?          McCarthy

RW?             Erskine.             LW?

Doolan