Team rebuilding

Paukea

9 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Balatoni to Edinburgh City. Surprised and disappointed

Maybe it gives you a clue to his level .....he was never a premier player and now he’s not even a championship player

the sooner all these ex players sign for someone the better 

12 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Balatoni to Edinburgh City. Surprised and disappointed

Agree with javeajag's comments but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm slightly surprised at that. Centrebacks don't  usually regress in the same way as a wide player or forward does. On that basis I'd have thought Conrad would've got a gig at the likes of Raith Rovers, that sort of level. Worth minding, tho' never remotely fast, the lad was tested to be the fittest at Firhill at a time when we had a reputation for being a fit side. 

To me it looks like his wrong career decisions have cost him big time.  In contrast Aaron Muirhead has gone on to play around a 100 games for Falkirk.  Wish Balatoni all the best as he gave his all for us and it was nice to see him supporting us up at Dens on our last visit there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree with javeajag's comments but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm slightly surprised at that. Centrebacks don't  usually regress in the same way as a wide player or forward does. On that basis I'd have thought Conrad would've got a gig at the likes of Raith Rovers, that sort of level. Worth minding, tho' never remotely fast, the lad was tested to be the fittest at Firhill at a time when we had a reputation for being a fit side. 

To me it looks like his wrong career decisions have cost him big time.  In contrast Aaron Muirhead has gone on to play around a 100 games for Falkirk.  Wish Balatoni all the best as he gave his all for us and it was nice to see him supporting us up at Dens on our last visit there.

He has talked about getting a job in the financial sector before so I assume he is doing that while going part-time with Edinburgh city. Probably a smart move long term for him. 

A lot of Falkirk fans were surprised he was let go but they did comment on how overweight he was! 

• Like 1

Edinburgh City also pay decent money at that level - they had Craig Beattie last season, for example.

If Conrad has been looking at a job outwith football and has one, then this looks like win-win for him.

Either way, I'd be interested to know how he views leaving Thistle three years ago in retrospect.

I’m really disappointed that we are back to training on Monday with just 2 confirmed signings. In my opinion bringing in trialists to look at in training and bounce games is not the way to build a core of your squad, and it’s the core that we need to build rather than the fringe.

Although you can pick up players this way history is littered with players that looked good in preseason, when they were knocking their pan in to secure a deal, but faded badly over the course of a season. To build a strong first 11 we should be identifying players we want and going to get them rather than seeing who is available and looks good over the first few weeks of training. 

6 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

I’m really disappointed that we are back to training on Monday with just 2 confirmed signings. In my opinion bringing in trialists to look at in training and bounce games is not the way to build a core of your squad, and it’s the core that we need to build rather than the fringe.

Although you can pick up players this way history is littered with players that looked good in preseason, when they were knocking their pan in to secure a deal, but faded badly over the course of a season. To build a strong first 11 we should be identifying players we want and going to get them rather than seeing who is available and looks good over the first few weeks of training. 

Who here remembers the two trialist left backs that played at Dumbarton & Glentoran? Nobody knew which one was which but the one who started at Glentoran I'd swear prior to coming on trial had never played in the left back position in his life. 

8 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Who here remembers the two trialist left backs that played at Dumbarton & Glentoran? Nobody knew which one was which but the one who started at Glentoran I'd swear prior to coming on trial had never played in the left back position in his life. 

Which year are we talking about here?

Anyway ClydebankJag's point could not be more valid after last season.  Core of the squad in place before the start of pre-season Archie. These are the basics.

Last season was a cluster**** waiting to happen, and by heavens did we not sleepwalk into the said cluster****.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 hour ago, ClydebankJag said:

If we are serious about going for promotion we cannot sign the core of the squad by just watching them in some pre season training and maybe some bounce games. I hope that in the next week or so we will announce a number of players who we have just been waiting on their contracts finishing or coming back from holidays.

49 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Which year are we talking about here?

Anyway ClydebankJag's point could not be more valid after last season.  Core of the squad in place before the start of pre-season Archie. These are the basics.

Last season was a cluster**** waiting to happen, and by heavens did we not sleepwalk into the said cluster****.

Signings not in place early.  Last minute signings. Low fitness levels. Slow start to the season.

Repeat on loop.

If the current management team have no energy or desire to build a squad from scratch on a reduced budget they should step aside.

Better to have made only 2 signings and both of them being good rather than just go for 5 or 6 jersey fillers. Archie said in his interview before O'Ware signed that we would be looking at mainly the Scottish market so I don't think there will be a huge amount of trialists. Remember that players will have agents advising them not to jump at the first offer as well.

Cammy Bell on BBC Scotland said he expects another "couple of good signings." I hope he doesn't mean he word "couple" literally, or Archie and the board can stick any chance of me renewing my Season Ticket, as we sleepwalk into another abomination of a season. Stunned at our lack of activity so far. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

4 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Cammy Bell on BBC Scotland said he expects another "couple of good signings." I hope he doesn't mean he word "couple" literally, or Archie and the board can stick any chance of me renewing my Season Ticket, as we sleepwalk into another abomination of a season. Stunned at our lack of activity so far. 

My last head count I think showed 11 signed players (including Banzo, excluding the three open to offers). Do you seriously believe there's the remotest possibility we'll be starting the season with only two more signings?  

1 minute ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Do you seriously believe there's the remotest possibility we'll be starting the season with only two more signings?  

Remotest possibility? Absolutely. Although at this rate I am sure we will have enough untried kids and loan signings from Crawley Town to just about pad the team out. 

Did we not get Osman in as a trialist? And clearly we identified Miles Storey as a player we wanted. And further afield, Dundee had Glen Kamara as a trialist, who looked hopeless and went on to be their best player. So, both methods can have successes and failures.

Bringing in players on trial to have a look at them is absolutely an acceptable way to build the core of the squad. Pretty certain a lot of guys are just brought in to see how they fit in with the rest of the squad.  No harm in having someone train for a week and play a bounce game either.

29 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Did we not get Osman in as a trialist? And clearly we identified Miles Storey as a player we wanted. And further afield, Dundee had Glen Kamara as a trialist, who looked hopeless and went on to be their best player. So, both methods can have successes and failures.

Bringing in players on trial to have a look at them is absolutely an acceptable way to build the core of the squad. Pretty certain a lot of guys are just brought in to see how they fit in with the rest of the squad.  No harm in having someone train for a week and play a bounce game either.

I’m not saying you have not made valid points - I think a bit of the annoyance is that David Beattie had said that we would have a budget that would see us seriously challenge in the championship- so far 2 signings do not for me indicate that while I presume there are certain targets that the manager will have looked for and which I would have hoped a budget for a good challenge in the championship would have helped us obtain.  If we end up bringing in a whole load of trialists (regardless of how good or bad they end up it is very much a lottery) that suggests to me that our targets have not been lured to Firhill and that the budget that Beattie assured us would see us being able to challenge for the championship was not actually anywhere near as good as I interpreted his comments to mean.

time will tell I guess

Edited by Third Lanark