Team rebuilding

Paukea

37 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Bringing in players on trial to have a look at them is absolutely an acceptable way to build the core of the squad.

I couldn’t agree less with your view. The squad can absolutely  be bolstered by trialists but the ‘core’ of your squad should be targeted signings.

4 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

I couldn’t agree less with your view. The squad can absolutely  be bolstered by trialists but the ‘core’ of your squad should be targeted signings.

As long as they’re good enough players, it doesn’t matter at all whether they’re brought in on trial or we go out and target them.

In any case, I would think we’ll have most of our first 11 signed by the end of this week, especially if as Bell said we get a couple in over the next few days.

From the excellent Narey's Toepoker blog - the players released by  the other clubs in last season's Premiership and the two promoted Championship clubs not yet signed elsewhere, excluding goalies 

Aberdeen: Daniel  Harvie, Nicky Maynard

Celtic : n/a

Dundee- Jon Aurtenetxe, Kosta Gadzhalov

Accies- Ali Crawford, David Templeton, Georgios Sarris, Xavier Tomas

Hearts- Prince Buaben

Hibs- Dylan McGeouch

Killie- Dean Hawkshaw, Alex  Samizadeh, Steven Smith, Brad Spencer

Livi- n/a

Motherwell- Deimantas Petravicius, Ellis Plummer,  Luke Watt

Rangers- Kenny Miller 

Ross County- Tim Chow, Blair Malcolm,  Thomas Mikkelsen, David N'Gog, Alex Schalk, Reghan Tumilty

St Johnstone- Keith Watson

St Mirren-Stelios Demetriou, Massimo Donati, Nathan Flanagan, Gary Irvine, Conor O'Keefe

Some of these are  obvious non-starters e.g. Miller, McGeouch,  Crawford, Templeton; a few are guys that are past it (Smith, Irvine, Donati),  a few foreign journeymen, and  the odd youth player that didn't make it which might be our best bet- after all we picked up the likes of Lawless, SOD, and Balatoni for our last 2nd tier winning team.

Tumilty as a RB option (not our most pressing need but we do need at least one more FB) might be useful. Watson (Another RB) isn't terrible for this level but I think he has a patchy injury record which would be my biggest red flag given the last couple of years.

Edited by Ancipital

I am sure that we do have more "targetted" signings, but I am also sure that we are not the only club that have targetted them, and equally sure that Thistle was not their dream job. It is highly likely that there are players mulling over an offer from us and looking to see if they get a better offer, or waiting till they come back from holiday before making a decision, and who can blame them. I agree that in a perfect world, we would have more players signed already, but there are over 2 months of the transfer window still open,  so lets give Archie a break, and judge his squad building at the end of September, rather than stressing now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ancipital said:

From the excellent Narey's Toepoker blog - the players released by  the other clubs in last season's Premiership and the two promoted Championship clubs not yet signed elsewhere, excluding goalies 

Some of these are  obvious non-starters e.g. Miller, McGeouch,  Crawford, Templeton; a few are guys that are past it (Smith, Irvine, Donati),  a few foreign journeymen, and  the odd youth player that didn't make it which might be our best bet- after all we picked up the likes of Lawless, SOD, and Balatoni for our last 2nd tier winning team.

Tumilty as a RB option (not our most pressing need but we do need at least one more FB) might be useful. Watson (Another RB) isn't terrible for this level but I think he has a patchy injury record which would be my biggest red flag given the last couple of years.

I presume that Alex Schalk is another non-starter and would be hoping to get a premiership place or at least a higher wage than Ross County. If available, he would be worth considering. Bit of a diver (which I do not like), but has pace and a reasonable scoring record. Certainly took us apart in Dingwall and could be a good complement to Doolan, Erskine and Spittal. A faster version of Stevie Lawless but perhaps not so effective at shooting from distance?

38 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

I thought we were linked with Stelios  Demetriou while ago but can’t find where I saw that.

The name came up a year or so ago. Think at that time he was still popular with St Mirren fans. 

11 hours ago, sandy said:

Gosh, expected more for him.

Probably making the right decision to ensure he gets enough game time. If things go well for him he can easily step up a level into a full time club later on. I fear he's crocked tho' and may be looking for employment outside the game.

1 hour ago, Mad Mull Jag said:

there really isn't that much out there when you look at that list. 

There is one we cant afford- McGeough/miller etc

Ones that are too old/ injured- Plummer, Irvine, Watson

Journeymen cloggers- chow , Mikkelsen

Only Harvie from Aberdeen stands out as a decent prospect for me. 

To be fair that list doesn’t include out of contract championship players or out of contract Livi players where the evening times had us linked with Halkett last week 

Interestingly he said on Jagzone that we expressed interest in signing him before the end of the season and before we were relegated

that indicates we would have signed him if we had stayed up and we were looking at some significant changes no matter if we stayed up or not 

I’m going to say something potentially contentious now.

Dropping into the Championship takes the monkey of leaving the SPL off our back. I think this season will be more fun as a fan, like it was when we got promoted. 

Archie & Shaggy can recruit without the fear of having to buy players that might stifle the opposition. They can, in theory, play free-flowing football.

Bring 2018/19 on. I’m behind the Jags!

Edited by sandy
  • Like 2