Team rebuilding

Paukea

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

on first glance that's a strong core for the championship.

Not a great fan myself but i saw enough in storey last season to hope he'll be a stick out (in a good way before you start) in the championship.

I'm getting more hopeful by the day

Storey’s rank, remember we were relegated.

Did you ever wonder why?

Get him off the books asap

• Like 1

A  few things listening to Archie on jagzone ....

wants to bring in another CB but is dependent on Barton/ Keown staying or going given their wages

has a couple of loans he’s waiting to hear about 

McCarthy and Penrice will be in contention to start this year

has high hopes for Aidan Fitzpatrick 

i got the impression he expects Bannigan to be in the squad 

it will be a young team

41 minutes ago, javeajag said:

A  few things listening to Archie on jagzone ....

wants to bring in another CB but is dependent on Barton/ Keown staying or going given their wages

has a couple of loans he’s waiting to hear about 

McCarthy and Penrice will be in contention to start this year

has high hopes for Aidan Fitzpatrick 

i got the impression he expects Bannigan to be in the squad 

it will be a young team

Think this underlines how difficult our preparation is going to be for this season... If/when Barton/Keown leave, and let's say its to the English league in August before they get fixed up, it really squeezes the time to find the right player who then gets thrown in at the last minute. Same with Storey. Also if they guys don't get fixed up elsewhere our squad presumably will be smaller in size since they are (I believe) still on SPL wages. If they go then maybe we get 4-5 players for their wages. And are the club bargaining on getting a fee for each, and if we don't are we impacted financially in terms of the playing budget for this season.....

Lump it all together and it has the potential to give us a faltering start to a season which the board expects to be a "bounce straight back up"...  I certainly don't and I seriously doubt the board really believe that either..  Making the play-offs would be success IMO.

AA also said (words to the effect) the clubs with the money get to sign their targets quickly. Clearly a reference to DU/Frans deal.   And DU may throw more money at it with their 700k windfall from Armstrong.

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

Think this underlines how difficult our preparation is going to be for this season... If/when Barton/Keown leave, and let's say its to the English league in August before they get fixed up, it really squeezes the time to find the right player who then gets thrown in at the last minute. Same with Storey. Also if they guys don't get fixed up elsewhere our squad presumably will be smaller in size since they are (I believe) still on SPL wages. If they go then maybe we get 4-5 players for their wages. And are the club bargaining on getting a fee for each, and if we don't are we impacted financially in terms of the playing budget for this season.....

Lump it all together and it has the potential to give us a faltering start to a season which the board expects to be a "bounce straight back up"...  I certainly don't and I seriously doubt the board really believe that either..  Making the play-offs would be success IMO.

AA also said (words to the effect) the clubs with the money get to sign their targets quickly. Clearly a reference to DU/Frans deal.   And DU may throw more money at it with their 700k windfall from Armstrong.

Did the EFL change their signing rules this season the same as the premiership

1 hour ago, JAG1970 said:

From the Board comments at the end of the season I was under the impression we would be highly competitive with signings. We pocketed something like £1million in prize money for finishing 11th. So I'm confused by AA 's comments and becoming concerned about our transfer activity compared with the likes of DU,RC etc

I think we've got to get rid of this nonsense regards promotion.  We will not be challenging for the title. Middle of the league is probable. Play offs would be a great effort. I would put my money on being comfortably safe from relegation, but bottom half. It's going to be a difficult season lads. Buckle up.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

I think we've got to get rid of this nonsense regards promotion.  We will not be challenging for the title. Middle of the league is probable. Play offs would be a great effort. I would put my money on being comfortably safe from relegation, but bottom half. It's going to be a difficult season lads. Buckle up.

I really think we should be challenging for the league and I expect us to be.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, elevenone said:

Again only going from info son got:-

Bell, 

Trialist,O’Ware,McGinty,Penrice

Spittal, Bannigan, McCarthy, Fitzpatrick

Doolan, Trialist

And coming off the bench

Storey,Wilson,Barton,Erskine and a splattering of Trialists.

Trialist who started as striker was Jack Storer and one of the ones off the bench was Craig Slater.

Thanks elevenone.

28 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

I think we've got to get rid of this nonsense regards promotion.  We will not be challenging for the title. 

Don't quite follow, GRE. 40% of the division will be involved in either the play offs or direct promotion.  Promotion and title winning (as we are only too well aware) are two different routes to the same end. Given these ridiculously small leagues I'd suggest if you're not targeting  competing for promotion then survival within the division becomes your primary aspersion.  So are you suggesting not ending up in League One should be regarded as relative success?

At this point of time, not knowing who we've still to sign and with little knowledge of the quality of our opponents signings, I've no idea whatsoever if we'll be capable of a top four finish. I'd argue that no one on here will be able to enlighten us re that. So to say promotion is nonsense is kinda saying we'll be incapable of a top four finish.

2 hours ago, Z88 said:

From the Board comments at the end of the season I was under the impression we would be highly competitive with signings. We pocketed something like £1million in prize money for finishing 11th. So I'm confused by AA 's comments and becoming concerned about our transfer activity compared with the likes of DU,RC etc

Our budget is competitive for the championship but must be less than if we were in the Premier eg less than last season 

that shouldn’t surprise anyone 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Don't quite follow, GRE. 40% of the division will be involved in either the play offs or direct promotion.  Promotion and title winning (as we are only too well aware) are two different routes to the same end. Given these ridiculously small leagues I'd suggest if you're not targeting  competing for promotion then survival within the division becomes your primary aspersion.  So are you suggesting not ending up in League One should be regarded as relative success?

At this point of time, not knowing who we've still to sign and with little knowledge of the quality of our opponents signings, I've no idea whatsoever if we'll be capable of a top four finish. I'd argue that no one on here will be able to enlighten us re that. So to say promotion is nonsense is kinda saying we'll be incapable of a top four finish.

There is not much of  a "safe mid-table", as unless we are outstandingly good or outstandingly bad, there will be a long period of the season when we will have the potential to go either up or down. 60% of the teams will in some way be caught up in the final promotion and relegation scenarios, and some others may be close to either or both.

There is a slightly different feel from our previous stint in the old First Division. Without the play off at the top end, apart from our run to 2nd place under Ian McCall and of course the final league winning season, we did manage to finish in a fairly consistently boring 6th or 7th place most seasons without major relegation or promotion alerts. That will no longer be so easy to achieve.

53 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Our budget is competitive for the championship but must be less than if we were in the Premier eg less than last season 

that shouldn’t surprise anyone 

Agree there.

Besides next season will be no different from any other season. There'll be at least one club who'll overspend (speculate to accumulate if you prefer) and there'll be at least one club who'll receive an unsustainable injection of cash (the sugar daddy effect).  There's no way most of us want to see our Club match like for like, risking all. There's no way the top tier is remotely close to being a holy grail in any case. 

Purely an educated guess but I'd be surprised if our budget isn't around the third or fourth highest in the division. With that in mind a finishing position lower than that level can't be viewed as a successful season. We should then be targeting at the lower end a play off spot, always assuming we do use up our budget . 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Agree there.

Besides next season will be no different from any other season. There'll be at least one club who'll overspend (speculate to accumulate if you prefer) and there'll be at least one club who'll receive an unsustainable injection of cash (the sugar daddy effect).  There's no way most of us want to see our Club match like for like, risking all. There's no way the top tier is remotely close to being a holy grail in any case. 

Purely an educated guess but I'd be surprised if our budget isn't around the third or fourth highest in the division. With that in mind a finishing position lower than that level can't be viewed as a successful season. We should then be targeting at the lower end a play off spot, always assuming we do use up our budget . 

Our budget, at the moment, may well be one of the highest , but I fear Archie is hamstrung with the contracts that Storey, Keown and Barton are on. If we move them on quickly then that gives us more leeway to recruit players who may fit the bill regards the Championship and give us a bigger squad to play with. But as you well know my lady, budgets don't always bring success. We didn't have the second worse budget last season and we all know what happened. I, personally, am not expecting us to be challenging for the title. Play offs at best.

I don’t understand how alot of the players had this release clause in their contracts so they were free to go, but we haven’t covered ourselves in case of relegation for the players on higher wages (Storey, Barton, Keown)? We apparently paid a fee for these three guys so I suppose just freeing them would have lost money but it’s leaving the squad in limbo as any of them could go if an offer came in, leaving us short of bodies, plus if they are still on higher wages it’s reducing our budget for this season. Did the board not think we could be relegated and didn’t think to plan ahead in the worst case scenario? then again the players might not have accepted that clause in their contract in the first place.