Team rebuilding

Paukea

9 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Think we are.

On that subject - did we really do ourselves any favours by announcing to the world that Barton, Keown and Storey are up for sale?

I mean that in terms of attracting a fair-value transfer fee, as opposed to 'the knock down price because we need to get them off the books' implied by the announcement.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Storey was terrible at times last season but I'd keep all three. Barton and Keown have proved they can cut it in the premier so they would do well in the Championship.  Archie would need to prove he can manage and play game plans that suit them!

Storey has a point to prove. He's a big strong boy and the Championship may suit him. Try different things like playing him through the centre.

The cash issue is obviously a problem. If we are winning it should generate enough to offset. The problem would primarily arise of we are losing. It's difficult to know how big a problem it is without knowing figures.

6 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Storey has a point to prove. He's a big strong boy and the Championship may suit him. Try different things like playing him through the centre.

Storey's main attribute is his pace. No doubting his strength but I don't think his hold up play is that great, and we all know he isn't a goalscorer.  I don't feel we're dropping down to a level where he'd be effective as anything other than a wide player. Don't disagree that the Championship may suit him but personally, assuming he'd still be on  a good wage, would rather see our money spent on a player with better close control. 

15 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Storey's main attribute is his pace. No doubting his strength but I don't think his hold up play is that great, and we all know he isn't a goalscorer.  I don't feel we're dropping down to a level where he'd be effective as anything other than a wide player. Don't disagree that the Championship may suit him but personally, assuming he'd still be on  a good wage, would rather see our money spent on a player with better close control. 

He's clearly on a wage that he did not justify last season but Archie's record at bringing in strikers is shocking.  There may be an element of better the devil etc. Storey's cv is still better than Storer s 

11 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Apparently not - we are just looking at some club to take on their higher wages

And to buy out what is left of the current contract. As it stands I think we would need to pay them for next year if it was a ‘free’ transfer, so we will be looking for someone to cover that, or we will play them

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And to buy out what is left of the current contract. As it stands I think we would need to pay them for next year if it was a ‘free’ transfer, so we will be looking for someone to cover that, or we will play them

Agree with DD, unless something is lined up for Barton, Storey and Keown we may not have an option and will have to play them. It could go  two ways, either they play for a contract elsewhere or apathetically play out their contract.

It may be difficult to judge with Barton.

10 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

He’s a nice guy but if we can get better for cheaper then I wouldn’t have a problem having him moved on to be honest sandy

He’s not just a nice guy, he is a bright footballer who can learn from his indifferent form this season and get better. Potential leader one day too. Getting rid would be a mistake, plus big Martin K would be round Firhill to bite our ankles.....

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Storey's main attribute last season was not being on the park.

The funny thing was he had more actual game time than Doolan and Erskine did...

I actually think there is a decent player in there somewhere. He’s by no means a wide player though. He missed a couple of howlers but he also brought out a few decent saves. 

As Doolan and Erskine grow another year older he could be the legs for them to play off of depending on our formation.

Having typed this he’ll probably be off on. A free transfer to Barnet...

Miles Storey typified our season and was a huge disappointment. His first touch is honking. I actually think he’s probably a half decent finisher but his first touch is so stinking he didn’t give himself a chance. Strikes me as a bit of a confidence player. Anyway, not good enough to dislodge Dools and I think he needs to be playing through the middle on the shoulder of the last defender. And he needs someone in midfield that can play through balls. Someone we’ve really missed in the last few years. 

For typifying last season I cant wait to see him leave. 

Edited by simoncordiner