Team rebuilding

Paukea

Jags 1-2 Raith

very youthful team so hard to judge with loads of changes

the only stand out was Miles Storey who terrorised their defence and scored a great  solo goal.

there was a centre half trialist and a midfield trialist and neither really stood out although we lost both goals when we took him off.

no Cammy Bell, Elliott, Oware or McCarthy 

Bannigan had a good run out and played well enough

erskine and Dools average

Thought Banzo was outstanding though he ballooned a penalty over the bar in the first half.  Agree about Storey who had a great game. Looked a totally different player from last season.

There was a young black guy who played right back in the first half and at centre half in the second who grew in confidence. Maybe not ready yet but a player in there.

Don't know who our number 7 was ( fair hair and jutting chin like Jamie Vardy) think he was getting called Sean (and it wasn't McGinty who played centre half with a young trialist(in the first half). Most of the youngsters looked a bit on the light side and I did not think that Penrice had his heart in it (his body language was awful)

Can't think what Archie  would get from THAT exercise other than what he talks about regularly i.e. Minutes

the Australian goalie played in the first half with Sneddon taking over for the second.

3 minutes ago, jagfaelivi said:

Thought Banzo was outstanding though he ballooned a penalty over the bar in the first half.  Agree about Storey who had a great game. Looked a totally different player from last season.

There was a young black guy who played right back in the first half and at centre half in the second who grew in confidence. Maybe not ready yet but a player in there.

Don't know who our number 7 was ( fair hair and jutting chin like Jamie Vardy) think he was getting called Sean (and it wasn't McGinty who played centre half with a young trialist(in the first half). Most of the youngsters looked a bit on the light side and I did not think that Penrice had his heart in it (his body language was awful)

Can't think what Archie  would get from THAT exercise other than what he talks about regularly i.e. Minutes

the Australian goalie played in the first half with Sneddon taking over for the second.

Thanks for the update.

Was Slater playing?

I'm happy enough to get young, hungry players on board to augment the squad.

We certainly lacked energy last season. Doolan and Erskine need legs around him.

We did okay with a few younger lads in the team last time we were in this league.

Unlikely to be champions but I'd be hoping for a top 4 position this season.

I guess we'll find out over the next month if that's a feasible ambition.

Between the board stating that slashing the budget was a false economy, and the decision to give to the playing budget the money saved in not opening the Colin Weir Stand, I can't help but be disappointed in our lack of activity, and the calibre and track record of the guys we are looking at. 

44 minutes ago, jagfaelivi said:

That's the guy! It was Shea not Sean they were calling him

Agree, that seems to be the guy. I thought that the trialist at the back was poor and lacked confidence. Banzo looked fit, Storey certainly put the effort in today.

So Shea Gordon is the #7. Norn Iron u21 midfielder. Seems a prospect but too many ahead of him at Motherwell at the moment. Seemingly offered a new deal but not officially signed it.

Young lad at the back is Sena from Pollok.

Other defender is ex-Falkirk defender Paul Watson. Currently out of contract.

Not sure about trialust striker. Has he appeared in any of the other bounce-ups?

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

If we are looking c at can under 20 loan from Motherwell it shows that our budget is tighter than we thought. I Don't think Archie has a lot to work with this season. Again I think that any Thistle fan expects us go challenge for the title needs to take a reality check. This is a season for consolidation.

3 hours ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Between the board stating that slashing the budget was a false economy, and the decision to give to the playing budget the money saved in not opening the Colin Weir Stand, I can't help but be disappointed in our lack of activity, and the calibre and track record of the guys we are looking at. 

Although I am surprised we haven't signed more players I feel it is a bit early  to be writing our chances of for at least challenging for the title.Lets see who we have signed by the end of August.

I just think it’s tough for Archie to plan when he doesn’t know if the 3 we want to get rid of will go or not. I don’t know if they’re still being paid PL wages or whether they’re on same contract as Dools and Squiddy whereby salary was reduced post relegation.

If Keown and Barton are on the lower wage then we should just retain them until we get an offer. They are miles above Championship level. But Archie would need to motivate them, not one of his best suits! It’s a real problem though if these players are on PL wages and we can’t get rid or replace.

As for Storey, I’d just love to be proved wrong! 

I’m surprised there has been no action on last years other non performer Spittal. I would accept an offer to get him off the books but Archie seems to have faith. 

The club has shown faith in the manager so let’s support him. But at the moment I see this as a task too far. Play offs would be great.

I take it the 3 mentioned(Barton,Storey, Keown) didn’t have the GTF clause in their contract? Surely they could have said to Archie they don’t want to come back and have their contracts cancelled by mutual consent which would suit both parties. I’d love us to keep B,S&K.  when you think the likes of Gavin Reilly, Dobbie, Lyle etc can score for fun then I’m sure Storey can get into double figures if we play him in the right posish. He’ll probably be away tomorrow now I’ve said that!

Edited by jags on tour

35 minutes ago, elevenone said:

Gonna stick my neck out here but Storey,Keown and Barton (especially the latter) would be very good Championship players albeit with rockets up their backsides.  Do we stick with those 3 or accept 6 players half the wages diluted versions?

Need to move them on. We will be looking at a squad of 20 to 22 players and if they do stay then we could be starting the season with only 17 players. That's not even enough to cover the bench. 

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

I just think it’s tough for Archie to plan when he doesn’t know if the 3 we want to get rid of will go or not. I don’t know if they’re still being paid PL wages or whether they’re on same contract as Dools and Squiddy whereby salary was reduced post relegation.

If Keown and Barton are on the lower wage then we should just retain them until we get an offer. They are miles above Championship level. But Archie would need to motivate them, not one of his best suits! It’s a real problem though if these players are on PL wages and we can’t get rid or replace.

As for Storey, I’d just love to be proved wrong! 

I’m surprised there has been no action on last years other non performer Spittal. I would accept an offer to get him off the books but Archie seems to have faith. 

The club has shown faith in the manager so let’s support him. But at the moment I see this as a task too far. Play offs would be great.

Spittal non performer really?? One of the youngest, Third too Scorer and one of the highest assist makes like Doolan and erskine he is on reduced wages as relegation was in his Doolan and erskine contract. It was not written in keown, storeys or Barton’s contract so they are on premier league wages- may be the club needs to look at these things more closely in the future 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

If we are looking c at can under 20 loan from Motherwell it shows that our budget is tighter than we thought. I Don't think Archie has a lot to work with this season. Again I think that any Thistle fan expects us go challenge for the title needs to take a reality check. This is a season for consolidation.

Of all the U20s sides I've seen in recent seasons Motherwell have been the most impressive. I'd put them up with Hibs last season. Take Oli Shaw out of the latter and there's no question which young team have the players ready to make a step up to first team football. With that in mind bringing an U20 on loan from 'Well shouldn't reflect poorly on our ambitions for this season. 

Not exactly disagreeing re your opinion that we may be in for "a season for consolidation". However bringing in a young Motherwell lad on loan is most definitely not an endorsement of that opinion.