Team rebuilding

Paukea

1 hour ago, jags on tour said:

I take it the 3 mentioned(Barton,Storey, Keown) didn’t have the GTF clause in their contract? Surely they could have said to Archie they don’t want to come back and have their contracts cancelled by mutual consent which would suit both parties. 

Ever just decided you're going to jack in a job that's paying very well with no guarantee of what you'll get paid at your next job or where in the country (or even world) it will be? 

No doubt these 3 are going to be earning way more than the average guy in his mid 20s but they're unlikely to be at the income level where they get to 35 and can retire for good so if I was in their shoes I'd be turning up every day until a deal was agreed elsewhere rather than voluntarily putting myself on the dole. 

I might be wrong but I don't think Barton or Keown have featured in any of the "closed" door games yet. Maybe the plan is to keep Storey and get rid of the other two? 

2 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Ever just decided you're going to jack in a job that's paying very well with no guarantee of what you'll get paid at your next job or where in the country (or even world) it will be? 

No doubt these 3 are going to be earning way more than the average guy in his mid 20s but they're unlikely to be at the income level where they get to 35 and can retire for good so if I was in their shoes I'd be turning up every day until a deal was agreed elsewhere rather than voluntarily putting myself on the dole. 

I might be wrong but I don't think Barton or Keown have featured in any of the "closed" door games yet. Maybe the plan is to keep Storey and get rid of the other two? 

It’s a bit different with footballers, unless they are truly shecht then they will always get another chance, see Ryan Edwards and Callum Booth.  I don’t see any of the 3 hanging about for the money. Hopefully they have the baws to think they owe us something and get us back up, or at least give us a fcuking shift for one extra season. If not then they will be targeted by the fans and no doubt frozen out by Archie!

7 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

If we are looking c at can under 20 loan from Motherwell it shows that our budget is tighter than we thought. I Don't think Archie has a lot to work with this season. Again I think that any Thistle fan expects us go challenge for the title needs to take a reality check. This is a season for consolidation.

We signed Steven Lawless and Stephen Craigen from Motherwell as youth players. But nae bother. 

6 minutes ago, jags on tour said:

It’s a bit different with footballers, unless they are truly shecht then they will always get another chance, see Ryan Edwards and Callum Booth.  I don’t see any of the 3 hanging about for the money. Hopefully they have the baws to think they owe us something and get us back up, or at least give us a fcuking shift for one extra season. If not then they will be targeted by the fans and no doubt frozen out by Archie!

I don't think there's any significant different being a footballer. A contract's a contract. Anyway I don't see any of the three not giving us the same effort they put in last season.  I realise in the case of Barton even that prospect won't please many. I'm different to the point that if we had to keep one of the three I'd plump for Barton. 

I do tho' believe it's far from ideal having players in the squad under these circumstances.  I normally like openness but can't really see much benefit deriving from the Club telling us these three were available for immediate transfer. The fact that was over a month ago and not one has moved on kinda makes a mockery of the "immediate" bit. Should just have put them in the contracted list and if we can't move them on leave it at that.  

I've had a look at the club's statements on the playing staff. The three were put on the list as being available for immediate transfer and that was it. They are still Partick Thistle players although I see the club isn't looking for kit  sponsorship for them.

Almost all the other "facts" about their status seems to have come from social media and can be put down to fans making things up.

These are professional footballers and there's no reason to believe that if they are still with us at the start of the season they will not play to the best of their ability. Yes their wages may stop us bring ing in an extra player but none of us outside the staff of PTFC really know how many.

Went up to Garscube yesterday and although it was only pre season and probably more to do with fitness wasn't overly impressed , the biggest plus point was Stuart Bannigan , he was and still is by a country mile our best player and hopefully we can get him back to the level we know he can play at. Watching some of the youngsters coming on yesterday , they are nowhere near ready to play in the first team , the players we released Neil McLaughlin and Mark Lamont would have been nearer the first team than any of those who came on yesterday , totally bizarre decision to release them at that stage in their development .

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Went up to Garscube yesterday and although it was only pre season and probably more to do with fitness wasn't overly impressed , the biggest plus point was Stuart Bannigan , he was and still is by a country mile our best player and hopefully we can get him back to the level we know he can play at. Watching some of the youngsters coming on yesterday , they are nowhere near ready to play in the first team , the players we released Neil McLaughlin and Mark Lamont would have been nearer the first team than any of those who came on yesterday , totally bizarre decision to release them at that stage in their development .

Comments like this always amuse me. It’s Archie and the coaches that see these guys day in and day out in training, and who most importantly (from what I hear re: McLaughlin and Lamont) know what their attitudes are like. I don’t think there’s anything bizarre about it. 

Agree with jsarmy a fit bannigan will be like a new signing if he can get back to his best re lamont i thought he would have got his chance this season i dont think we have anything coming through thats better and for mclaughlin 50 plus goals in two seasons i would defintley have given him a chance

41 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Comments like this always amuse me. It’s Archie and the coaches that see these guys day in and day out in training, and who most importantly (from what I hear re: McLaughlin and Lamont) know what their attitudes are like. I don’t think there’s anything bizarre about it. 

Yes that makes sense , let's go with seasoned pros on good money like Osman , Dumbaye , Barton etc whose attitudes were questionable throughout the season and got the club relegated , I would rather try and educate young players on the demands it takes to be a professional player . I take it you've got some insider information on Neil McLaughlin and Mark Lamont attitudes or is it just hearsay ?

If a young player has ability then you've got something to work with and you can educate them on the demands of being a professional football player , if the ability isn't there it's pointless . From what I saw yesterday there is not a lot coming through that would be anywhere near the first team squad and from what I've seen of McLaughlin and Lamont they were a lot nearer the first team in terms of ability . That's what makes the decision bizarre to release them when there isn't a conveyor belt of talent there.

2 hours ago, ironfist said:

Apparently trying to get centre half on loan from Bolton- Adam Mitchell. Presume this means some confidence in offloading Barton/keown 

Or it's a done deal provided we can offload Keown. Barton may not be the stumbling block on this occasion. It's just possible that we go with four centrebacks tho' I think we'd be looking for one of the centrebacks to be able to cover right back (or I suppose vice versa). 

Guess we require another two or three defenders to join Elliott, O'Ware, McGinty and Penrice. I'm omitting Duncanson for now at least and assuming Keown moves on.  

On 30/06/2018 at 3:52 PM, Garscube Road End said:

If we are looking c at can under 20 loan from Motherwell it shows that our budget is tighter than we thought. I Don't think Archie has a lot to work with this season. Again I think that any Thistle fan expects us go challenge for the title needs to take a reality check. This is a season for consolidation.

From a Motherwell fan on P&B

“It makes sense. He's a Northern Ireland u21 cap and truthfully he's far better than u20s/dev football. We signed him from Sheffield United with a view to fast-tracking him into the first team I think. He was around the fringes of the first XI towards the end of the 16/17 season but picked up an injury last season and just totally dropped off the radar for pretty much the full season.

He's energetic and quite Cadden-esque but like Ross MacLean (who we've got out on loan to Morton) there are loads of options ahead of him in the first team and right now he needs games. Fwiw: we offered him a new deal at the start of the summer so it's not like he's someone we're just trying to offload.”

Doesn’t sound like a nightmare signing.

48 minutes ago, ClydebankJag said:

From a Motherwell fan on P&B

“It makes sense. He's a Northern Ireland u21 cap and truthfully he's far better than u20s/dev football. We signed him from Sheffield United with a view to fast-tracking him into the first team I think. He was around the fringes of the first XI towards the end of the 16/17 season but picked up an injury last season and just totally dropped off the radar for pretty much the full season.

He's energetic and quite Cadden-esque but like Ross MacLean (who we've got out on loan to Morton) there are loads of options ahead of him in the first team and right now he needs games. Fwiw: we offered him a new deal at the start of the summer so it's not like he's someone we're just trying to offload.”

Doesn’t sound like a nightmare signing.

And where did I say he was a nightmare signing? Go back and read my post again.

10 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Yes that makes sense , let's go with seasoned pros on good money like Osman , Dumbaye , Barton etc whose attitudes were questionable throughout the season and got the club relegated , I would rather try and educate young players on the demands it takes to be a professional player . I take it you've got some insider information on Neil McLaughlin and Mark Lamont attitudes or is it just hearsay ?

If a young player has ability then you've got something to work with and you can educate them on the demands of being a professional football player , if the ability isn't there it's pointless . From what I saw yesterday there is not a lot coming through that would be anywhere near the first team squad and from what I've seen of McLaughlin and Lamont they were a lot nearer the first team in terms of ability . That's what makes the decision bizarre to release them when there isn't a conveyor belt of talent there.

Based on a bounce match you’re writing off our current youth players, and based on (at most) a couple of glimpses of Lamont and McLaughlin (neither of whom set the heather alight in League Two on loan) you are calling the management’s decisions about them - bearing in mind they saw them every single day in training - ‘bizarre’. Righto. 

And none one of the three players you’ve mentioned will be playing for us this season so it’s a bit of a moot point. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not as far as I am aware.

I'd rather there was a natural right back on the books though. And that's nothing against Christie.

I genuinely believe Christie to now be a natural (premiership quality) right back. The fact he arrived as a striker does not matter to me- he just took longer than many to find his true position.

I think his history counts against him. I honestly think he would be much better appreciated if we had signed him as a RB 4 or 5 seasons ago.

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I genuinely believe Christie to now be a natural (premiership quality) right back. The fact he arrived as a striker does not matter to me- he just took longer than many to find his true position 

He was not stripped for the bounce game on Saturday but he was there.  He walked back to the changing room chatting to a couple of other guys. Seemed pretty upbeat with no obvious sign of injury. I probably should have asked him why he was not playing.