Team rebuilding

Paukea

On 6/26/2018 at 8:59 PM, KemoAvdiu said:

Really sorry but I don’t have time to read your PhD dissertation. If your argument is essentially that lots of our players got injured then yes, I agree. If your argument is that you know better than our numerous qualified doctors, physics and sports scientists then no, I don’t agree.

These are the only stats made available by the club; maybe the club would be prepared to release more data if you asked. You might want to argue that a season-long spate of sickness absences (including injuries incurred during recovery) was purely down to chance, but that seems unlikely, particularly for a group of professional athletes under professional care. Does the club has a professional to deal with sports epidemiology? Because most of the players are now gone, the medical stats from last season may end up ignored, along with any useful insight into what went wrong and how to avoid a recurrence.

Curiously, the injuries occurred in the season following the retirement of the long-serving club doctor, Dr Robertson.

7 hours ago, Fearchar said:

These are the only stats made available by the club; maybe the club would be prepared to release more data if you asked. You might want to argue that a season-long spate of sickness absences (including injuries incurred during recovery) was purely down to chance, but that seems unlikely, particularly for a group of professional athletes under professional care. Does the club has a professional to deal with sports epidemiology? Because most of the players are now gone, the medical stats from last season may end up ignored, along with any useful insight into what went wrong and how to avoid a recurrence.

Curiously, the injuries occurred in the season following the retirement of the long-serving club doctor, Dr Robertson.

This is an interesting turn. I am pretty sure that last season you laid the blame of injuries and fitness at the managers door.

Apologies if I misrepresent you.

7 hours ago, Fearchar said:

I think I’ll pass on requesting the player’s medical data from the club, because I’m not a complete loonball. Cheers for the suggestion though. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Jack Storer has signed today

Good. A main concern with me was the age of our squad creeping up year on year. This signing helps to redress that. Hopefully the lad will mature under Archie. Bringing in strikers/forwards is so often hit or a miss. Signing a fella that was obviously rated by the likes of Gary Rowett increases the chances of the lad being a success.

Also, along with the two centrebacks, we're keeping a bit of height amongst the squad that we were losing with Abdul and Barton(?) moving on.

25 minutes ago, Paulo said:

Definitely an interesting signing.  Seems a bit of a headcase, but maybe a bit of a talent too.  Certainly young enough to use this move to kick start his career with a bucketload of goals.... Welcome to the Jags, Jack.

Perhaps given the thingy with the advertising hoarding, "kick start" is not the best term to use. :)

Can now put out a strongish looking first team......

Bell

Elliott-O'Ware-McGinty-Penrice

McCarthy-Bannigan

Spittall-Erskine-Storer

Doolan.

We've obviously a good few signings still to be made even to run with a pared down squad.  Using a bit of licence in including the Transfer Three and the youngsters I reckon we're two players short of scraping up a reserve team.  At least tho' having that 1st XI signed up at the start of the month gives some key players time to gel.

• Like 1

On paper looks okay. Tall player, and certainly a hot-head. Happy with that since last season's squad was filled with either wimps or abject lazy sods. I still hope we keep hold of Storey though. I think he could do well in the Championship if he is played in the correct position. 

Ideally like to see another CB who can also play LB when needed (Gary Miller like player), a genuine RB, an experienced CM, and maybe another wide player. 

2 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

Hope his football is a bit better than his geography!!? "Coming DOWN to play for Thistle". Of course he was maybe thinking more of a drop in standards to join us?

Best of luck Jack. And many Thistle goals.

He is English, we talk about going down to London, they talk about going up to London, so the other way for them has to be down. The only thing we should really worry about is if he knows his way to the opposition's goal.

Edited by Odd Fellows

6 minutes ago, Odd Fellows said:

He is English, we talk about going down to London, they talk about going up to London, so the other way for them has to be down. The only thing we should really worry about is if he knows his way to the oppositions goal.

In my experience, it has nothing to do with geography. For the last 30+ years, my sister (who lives 25 miles from London) has talked of Glasgow as being down. They consider everywhere to be down. They can't help themselves. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

In my experience, it has nothing to do with geography. For the last 30+ years, my sister (who lives 25 miles from London) has talked of Glasgow as being down. They consider everywhere to be down. They can't help themselves. 

I live in England and can confirm this is total nonsense. 

Enigmatic with a capital E.

Totally different personality type from anyone I can remember at least in recent years,  and that is going to be intriguing.

Also good to have an advocate for southism. Why should north always be at the top of the map?

With his preference for being a number 10, will be interesting to see whether Erskine & Storer can be accommodated in the same team or whether they will necessarily be alternatives. A re-kindling of the Erskine/Lawless type partnership  from 6 seasons ago would be welcome.

57 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Bonkers. I lived in London for 12 years and never heard this. 

• Like 1