Team rebuilding

Paukea

1 hour ago, Auld Jag said:

Seen something saying Tony Watt looking for a club and this is a big year for him.Is he out of our pay range?

Wouldn't want him near Maryhill Road even if he were close to Archie's budget. There's a waste of a career if ever we saw one.

Not to mention his unforgivable one, and only, goal for Hearts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Wouldn't want him near Maryhill Road even if he were close to Archie's budget. There's a waste of a career if ever we saw one.

Not to mention his unforgivable one, and only, goal for Hearts.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye Tony Watt’s an ********. There’s a reason he’s been punted from every club he’s ever been at pretty quickly, and it’s not his ability.

26 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Gotta agree with BR & oneteaminglasgow.  The guy may turn out to be a great signing somewhere down the line. Could well be with his next club but if we're in the risk business at least it's with players we can easily afford.

Thanks for your answers.

Archie is directly quoted in an interview in the Record as saying..... 

"I know some players don’t give a ****. Maybe they don’t care because they know they’ll move on elsewhere. But other boys were hit hard by it. They’re still hurting to this day. It hurt them that some guys didn’t give a toss and couldn’t wait to go."

Reading that back I can well see where the Archie Must Go punters were coming from. A manager into his 5th or 6th season at a club shouldn't have chosen those poor attitude players in the first place. I don't tho' see who those self serving ******* were. I can't really identify those players who've  not suffered from relegation. As someone who wanted Archie to stay on, and strongly believe we've made the right decision, I can't quite fathom out these comments.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Archie is directly quoted in an interview in the Record as saying..... 

"I know some players don’t give a ****. Maybe they don’t care because they know they’ll move on elsewhere. But other boys were hit hard by it. They’re still hurting to this day. It hurt them that some guys didn’t give a toss and couldn’t wait to go."

Reading that back I can well see where the Archie Must Go punters were coming from. A manager into his 5th or 6th season at a club shouldn't have chosen those poor attitude players in the first place. I don't tho' see who those self serving ******* were. I can't really identify those players who've  not suffered from relegation. As someone who wanted Archie to stay on, and strongly believe we've made the right decision, I can't quite fathom out these comments.

How can it be possible to know beforehand how a player's attitude is going to turn out in the future? None of us are fantastic futuristic mind-readers, including football managers.

4 minutes ago, jagfaelivi said:

See Hearts are intent on moving Conor Sammon out. I think he did well for us last season. Is he an option for Archie?

I think he’d be good enough for the Championship, whether he was one of the ones that didn’t care or one Archie was too loyal to I don’t know. Ali Crawford has left Hearts following a trial, I’d take him but I think he’ll go to a Premiership team.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

How can it be possible to know beforehand how a player's attitude is going to turn out in the future? None of us are fantastic futuristic mind-readers, including football managers.

Fair point. Archie has tho' said on numerous occasions when signing a player that so much scrutiny goes into checking out the character of the player in question. Specially in relation to the player fitting in with the rest of the squad. Using that process obviously greatly reduces the chances of friction within the squad. I think the togetherness factor was obvious in the five seasons preceding the one just gone.

Naturally there's going to be the odd exception to the rule and as you rightly say futuristic mind-reading is impossible. What I find rather surprising was the use the plural. That, and as I point out no ex-players (loanees excepted) appear to be unaffected by relegation. 

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Fair point. Archie has tho' said on numerous occasions when signing a player that so much scrutiny goes into checking out the character of the player in question. Specially in relation to the player fitting in with the rest of the squad. Using that process obviously greatly reduces the chances of friction within the squad. I think the togetherness factor was obvious in the five seasons preceding the one just gone.

Naturally there's going to be the odd exception to the rule and as you rightly say futuristic mind-reading is impossible. What I find rather surprising was the use the plural. That, and as I point out no ex-players (loanees excepted) appear to be unaffected by relegation. 

Have to assume muzzy was another one, given he allegedly did, or was ready to, walk out on a match day. 

Added to that, Archie mentions he was too loyal to players during the Play Offs. With the players available, Booth seems to be the only one in that category. 

With rumours circulating about Booth leaving, before our future had been decided,  I'd add him to the list.

With regards Sammon, I'd have him back in a heart beat. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jagfaelivi said:

See Hearts are intent on moving Conor Sammon out. I think he did well for us last season. Is he an option for Archie?

I assume this is a joke.  Sammon was a total liability.  He never got any injuries or bookings primarily because he’s totally powder puff and doesn’t get involved in the game. He’s the only player I have seen who actually becomes shorter when he jumps and he was nowhere to be seen in the important games at the end of the season.  His last kick of the ball for us was missing a penalty… I rest my case.

The striking department is , as ever, a major concern.  Doolan is class but is not getting any younger, Storer doesn't appear to be a striker and Storey, having scored a good goal in preseason, seems to have joined the other two available players as being excluded from the first team and even any discussion about the first team.

So in keeping with recent seasons we seem to be going into the new one with pretty much no cover up front. We are all hoping lessons have been learned so I'm sure there will a couple of decent strikers coming in this week!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I assume this is a joke.  Sammon was a total liability.  He never got any injuries or bookings primarily because he’s totally powder puff and doesn’t get involved in the game. He’s the only player I have seen who actually becomes shorter when he jumps and he was nowhere to be seen in the important games at the end of the season.  His last kick of the ball for us was missing a penalty… I rest my case.

The striking department is , as ever, a major concern.  Doolan is class but is not getting any younger, Storer doesn't appear to be a striker and Storey, having scored a good goal in preseason, seems to have joined the other two available players as being excluded from the first team and even any discussion about the first team.

So in keeping with recent seasons we seem to be going into the new one with pretty much no cover up front. We are all hoping lessons have been learned so I'm sure there will a couple of decent strikers coming in this week!!

I thought the complete opposite of Sammon. I thought he always gave his all, and was good at unsettling defences. I would be happy if we were retaining him.

As for resting your case on the fact he missed a penalty (having scored all the previous penalties he'd taken for us), I have recently just witnessed Messi and Ronaldo also missing penalties. Missing the odd penalty does not make you a bad player.

And criticising a player for not getting injured - give me strength!

3 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I thought the complete opposite of Sammon. I thought he always gave his all, and was good at unsettling defences. I would be happy if we were retaining him.

As for resting your case on the fact he missed a penalty (having scored all the previous penalties he'd taken for us), I have recently just witnessed Messi and Ronaldo also missing penalties. Missing the odd penalty does not make you a bad player.

And criticising a player for not getting injured - give me strength!

What defence did he unsettle??

You misunderstood the point about injuries - its obviously a good thing he didn't get injured. The point was he couldn't get injured. 

8 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I think its 7 or 8 including the cup ( 2 penaties )

Why do Hearts want rid of him??

I’m not advocating bringing Sammon back, but Hearts not wanting him isn’t an argument that we shouldn’t take him. Being good enough for heart’s team and being good enough for Thistle’s team are different things.

I think Sammon could do a job in the Championship the same way that Craig did the season we went up. Not a long term solution by any means, but wouldn't be averse to bringing him in. All depends if he was one of the players who "didn't give a sh*t" according to Archibald in that Daily Record interview yesterday.