Team rebuilding

Paukea

I do think Sammon would be a good signing for anyone in this league, and equally I doubt he would be one of the players Archibald was referring to with his 'not giving a shit' comments.

However, I do think he would be well outwith our price range in the Championship. Rumours were Hearts were already subsidising a decent percentage of his wages when he was with us last year. His wages will be the same, but with out budget inevitably smaller, they'd have to contribute an even higher percentage. They'd probably hope they can ship him to someone who could contribute more. Who knows, though? Possibly an option for us later in the window if Hearts haven't been able to punt him anywhere else by then.

He certainly did very well against Championship opposition in the Play offs. In the first leg at Livingstone we just fired high ball after high ball up to that 6 ft 2 brick shithouse of a man and he just created chance after chance knocking these two big central defenders all over the place. 

Tragically we probably wont be able to afford his wages.

We had far better footballers than Livi.

We lost because of attitude and approach. It’s obvious some didn’t give a sh1t. This was evident against Motherwell, St Johnstone, County twice and even Dundee( a game we won because they rolled over in which Thistle were atrocious).

We have far too many of last year’s rubbish still on the books which concerns me and is beyond our control so I don’t think it’s a great idea to sign another in Sammon.

We desperately need fresh blood and a new attitude and to get rid of these people ASAP 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

We desperately need fresh blood and a new attitude and to get rid of these people ASAP 

Who are "these people"? Are you saying the present squad after one open game lacks the correct attitude? If you're referring to the three contracted players we're trying to move on I don't think Storey or Keown had a poor attitude. I can't defend Barton, but you're talking in the plural. 

Not sure at all about Sammon. Some of the criticism is OTT but I feel age could be against him. In terms of comparison with having Craig in the last Championship squad is this time round we already have the old heads (Dools and Erskine). I'd rather we go for a younger model. As a pointer we released Nisbet so we should expect a better standard of player than him.

• Like 1

Conor Sammon wouldn't have much problem scoring goals in this league, imo. I doubt he'll be doing it for us though.

Heard a rumour we might be interested in Ross Stewart, the St Mirren striker who spent a fair bit of time on loan at Alloa last season.

6 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

He certainly did very well against Championship opposition in the Play offs. In the first leg at Livingstone we just fired high ball after high ball up to that 6 ft 2 brick shithouse of a man and he just created chance after chance knocking these two big central defenders all over the place. 

Tragically we probably wont be able to afford his wages.

He’s the wrong style of player for us in the second tier.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:00 AM, Lenziejag said:

This is an interesting turn. I am pretty sure that last season you laid the blame of injuries and fitness at the managers door.

Apologies if I misrepresent you.

A manager has to take overall responsibility for sickness absence, as it affects any strategy for success (on the park, in this case). Sickness absence is the major indication to managers that something is going wrong in a business. If the staff delegated with that responsibility aren't coping, it's the manager's duty to intervene as soon as a problem is evident. Failure to do so should mean being held to account by the board. If a problem with sickness absence  is not tackled at any of those three levels, any business (not just a football club) will suffer and be overtaken by competitors. It also affects recruitment: which potential employees (especially ones with short careers) would leave a safe position to go and work for an employer with a poor safety record?

Apparently, two players are already injured, before competitive matches  have begun. Let's hope that's just a blip, and not an indication of more of the same.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fearchar said:

A manager has to take overall responsibility for sickness absence, as it affects any strategy for success (on the park, in this case). Sickness absence is the major indication to managers that something is going wrong in a business. If the staff delegated with that responsibility aren't coping, it's the manager's duty to intervene as soon as a problem is evident. Failure to do so should mean being held to account by the board. If a problem with sickness absence  is not tackled at any of those three levels, any business (not just a football club) will suffer and be overtaken by competitors. It also affects recruitment: which potential employees (especially ones with short careers) would leave a safe position to go and work for an employer with a poor safety record?

Apparently, two players are already injured, before competitive matches  have begun. Let's hope that's just a blip, and not an indication of more of the same.

I am not so sure that sickness and injuries are the same.

However, how can a manager be responsible for someone else’s sickness. 

6 hours ago, Fearchar said:

This is mental.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Who are "these people"? Are you saying the present squad after one open game lacks the correct attitude? If you're referring to the three contracted players we're trying to move on I don't think Storey or Keown had a poor attitude. I can't defend Barton, but you're talking in the plural. 

Not sure at all about Sammon. Some of the criticism is OTT but I feel age could be against him. In terms of comparison with having Craig in the last Championship squad is this time round we already have the old heads (Dools and Erskine). I'd rather we go for a younger model. As a pointer we released Nisbet so we should expect a better standard of player than him.

I am still bitter about the garbage we endured last season.

You are forgiving and perhaps forgetful. There were so many non performers last year and, as Archie now admits some with attitude problems. I didn’t mention names because I don’t know what went on inside the camp.

Good riddance to most who have gone except Stevie who could never be faulted for effort on the park.

Remember we were beaten twice by Livi? A well organised pub team!

Archie has a very tough task now to bring the squad together quickly. I wasn’t at Sunday’s game but it sounded promising.  It could be that they gel quickly as they don’t have much baggage from last season.

With these 3 still hanging around on huge (Championship) wages, new signings are a problem and if some or all of them are not committed, the attitude problem could cause continued unrest in the dressing room.

I agree about Barton but ironically will miss some of his magical touches.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Looks like we could be signing Jordan Flores on loan from Wigan. Left or central midfield.

Do we not have a number of miles midfielders already? Would have thought we maybe needed to strengthen upfront as more of a priority.

where did you see the link to Ross Stewart from St Mirren?

13 hours ago, Fearchar said:

Are you talking about a football club or a call centre?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Fearchar said:

So I gather from that you wouldn't be in favour of Archie taking the lads into caves for a bonding session?

• Haha 3