52 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

Joy! 

Worst luck to DUFC and the 3 defectors.

failures

transgressors

imposters

wage thieves

I am not bitter!

But nervous about our meetings with the filth.

Important they hang onto Carlo lsabo otherwise they could get a decent manager who gets them challenging 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Important they hang onto Carlo lsabo otherwise they could get a decent manager who gets them challenging 

Important that they give Barton at least six months as a midfield dynamo to allow every other side to dominate.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, elevenone said:

A forward who has scored 8 professional league goals despite playing football for over a decade...yip, seems like an Archibald signing to me. 

I just don't understand why we aren't looking at proven goalscorers in League One and Two in Scotland, of which there are plenty. 

11 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

A forward who has scored 8 professional league goals despite playing football for over a decade...yip, seems like an Archibald signing to me. 

I just don't understand why we aren't looking at proven goalscorers in League One and Two in Scotland, of which there are plenty. 

Maybe we don't have the funds for a transfer fee.

34 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

I thought the lad was a wide player. 

Who are the proven goalscorers in those two divisions we should be looking at? 

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I thought the lad was a wide player. 

Who are the proven goalscorers in those two divisions we should be looking at? 

He is more of a wide player, and a piss-poor one at that according to the ICT fans on P&B, so exciting times all round. Seems to play were Lawless did, but scores a lot lot lot less goals. 

Aidan Smith is barely 21, and has proven himself a really good goalscorer at L2 level over the past two years. Would probably be around the same level as Doolan when he first joined. Darren Smith is quite a bit older at 30, but is a reasonably big guy, scored over 50 goals in the past five seasons, and is definitely proven in the lower leagues. I've always liked Ryan Wallace as well, and had two amazing spells at Dunfermline and East Fife. Greig Spence has obviously just signed for Alloa, but he would score a ton I am sure if he was given the service. Outwith that, you still have the guys like McGuigan who unfortunately was a wee bit raw when he first joined us, but has developed well (cue the snort of derision, but McGuigan's scoring record was just as good, if not better than Pogba's or Azeez's...or Eccleston's, or Mukendi's, or Baird's). 

Surely I cannot be alone in preferring that we bring in a player with a proven track record of hitting the net (albeit in the lower leagues), as opposed to some absolute unknown who Archibald invariably invites on trial at the behest of some agent, who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

So yes, I think there are "plenty" of goalscorers in Scotland who would at least be serviceable at this level.  

21 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

He is more of a wide player, and a piss-poor one at that according to the ICT fans on P&B, so exciting times all round. Seems to play were Lawless did, but scores a lot lot lot less goals. 

Aidan Smith is barely 21, and has proven himself a really good goalscorer at L2 level over the past two years. Would probably be around the same level as Doolan when he first joined. Darren Smith is quite a bit older at 30, but is a reasonably big guy, scored over 50 goals in the past five seasons, and is definitely proven in the lower leagues. I've always liked Ryan Wallace as well, and had two amazing spells at Dunfermline and East Fife. Greig Spence has obviously just signed for Alloa, but he would score a ton I am sure if he was given the service. Outwith that, you still have the guys like McGuigan who unfortunately was a wee bit raw when he first joined us, but has developed well (cue the snort of derision, but McGuigan's scoring record was just as good, if not better than Pogba's or Azeez's...or Eccleston's, or Mukendi's, or Baird's). 

Surely I cannot be alone in preferring that we bring in a player with a proven track record of hitting the net (albeit in the lower leagues), as opposed to some absolute unknown who Archibald invariably invites on trial at the behest of some agent, who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo. 

So yes, I think there are "plenty" of goalscorers in Scotland who would at least be serviceable at this level.  

Absolutely eye-wateringly brutal suggestions which should invalidate any point you ever make on this forum, IMO. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Absolutely eye-wateringly brutal suggestions which should invalidate any point you ever make on this forum, IMO. 

So I'm genuinely interested. As I am 100% positive that you're not merely being flippant for the sake of it, what do you have against those suggestions when factored against the sorts of strikers the omnipotent Lord Alan of Archibald has brought in over the past five years? 

"Who's this Kris Doolan chap!? Pfffttt, a junior player? Utter nonsense. Give me Paul Keegan any day over him." 

Can only go on players I've seen play lately, McGuigan a couple of times, Grieg Spence a good few times. The latter steady enough in the third tier but will struggle up a division, while the former should do OK in Div One. Ryan Wallace, who I heard wasn't exactly hardly missed at Dunfermline, is surely the epitome of a journeyman pro? 

I've no idea whether Aiden Smith has the potential to go on to better things or not but Darren Smith is surely a joke. A 30 year old part timer sharing striking duties with our own 31 year old!

Oh and FFS will people stop mentioning ******* Mukendi. He cost us nothing. He didn't take up any wage and his short presence at Firhill was completely inconsequential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And why are all our competitors also not looking at them ?

and why would they be so desperate to move to Thistle ?

Our competitors looked at Dobbie, Morgan, Reilly, Shankland etc and thought they were worth the risk why didn't we?

Spotting a potential regular goal scorer takes good timing, luck and football knowledge - we just don't appear to have been at the races in recent times. 

Thistle have been an established Premier club for the last few seasons and would have appealled to most Scottish players in lower leagues. Even as a Championship club Morton's captain was 'desperate' to move to Thistle.

9 hours ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Our competitors looked at Dobbie, Morgan, Reilly, Shankland etc and thought they were worth the risk why didn't we?

Spotting a potential regular goal scorer takes good timing, luck and football knowledge - we just don't appear to have been at the races in recent times. 

Thistle have been an established Premier club for the last few seasons and would have appealled to most Scottish players in lower leagues. Even as a Championship club Morton's captain was 'desperate' to move to Thistle.

And you know that we were not interested in these guys ?

We can only get players who are interested. We do not have the status or finances to be predators in the transfer market, so a player needs to want a move before we can have any chance. Getting players from the lower leagues is not that simple and just because we are a "bigger club" is not going to be enough. In most cases, they are part time players with full time jobs. It would be a big risk for them to give up their full time job on the off chance that they can make a short career as a full time player. 

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2971887/partick-thistle-inverness-andrea-mbuyi-mutombo/

According to The Sun today, Archibald is weighing up a move for Mutombo to "beef up his attack with Kris Doolan his only senior recognised frontman." I hope to goodness we are also planning on looking at bringing in a recognised striker as well, as this Mutombo guy will most likely slot in where Lawless did. 

59 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

And you know that we were not interested in these guys ?

We can only get players who are interested. We do not have the status or finances to be predators in the transfer market, so a player needs to want a move before we can have any chance. Getting players from the lower leagues is not that simple and just because we are a "bigger club" is not going to be enough. In most cases, they are part time players with full time jobs. It would be a big risk for them to give up their full time job on the off chance that they can make a short career as a full time player. 

I've no idea if we were interested in these guys they were just examples of business that other clubs did.

It's strange that you think players in England and Europe will uproot and move to Thistle but no young player in Scotland who has dreams of becoming a full time footballer will touch us.  

54 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I've no idea if we were interested in these guys they were just examples of business that other clubs did.

It's strange that you think players in England and Europe will uproot and move to Thistle but no young player in Scotland who has dreams of becoming a full time footballer will touch us.  

Nobody is saying we shouldn’t sign young Scottish players. We are saying we shouldn’t sign lower league 30 year old journeyman who shouldn’t be within ten miles of a team looking to win promotion from the Championship.

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Nobody is saying we shouldn’t sign young Scottish players. We are saying we shouldn’t sign lower league 30 year old journeyman who shouldn’t be within ten miles of a team looking to win promotion from the Championship.

I don't think we were necessarily talking about about 30 year old journeymen but if a lower league 30 year old journeyman is the missing piece of the jigsaw then get him in on a one year deal.