Team rebuilding

Paukea

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Somebody had posted here about us being linked with striker Ross Stewart of St Mirren.  Someone on pie and bovril now saying that Ross County are signing him and Brian Graham.  They certainly seem to have a fair few strikers in Dingwall, in fact a fair number of signings throughout their team.

I did say that County would have the biggest budget in the league. I really should rephrase that. County don't have a budget as such. Just whatever McGregor decides to spend. Whether books balance or not is clearly not an important issue up there.  And if it isn't working there's always the January window.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Somebody had posted here about us being linked with striker Ross Stewart of St Mirren.  Someone on pie and bovril now saying that Ross County are signing him and Brian Graham.  They certainly seem to have a fair few strikers in Dingwall, in fact a fair number of signings throughout their team.

Ross Stewart was rumoured to be part if the deal that would see Doolan go to St Mirren. Complete nonsense. 

It's also worth noting Stewart is shite. 

4 hours ago, jaf said:

Yes, but equally Jack Ross will probably thing Archie has a better record of improving players than Alloa might have so the day to day coaching might swing it back the other way, along with the assumption (and we all know it could be a flawed assumption!) that a striker would see more of the ball with us than playing for Alloa.

Need to factor in that Archie will be gone by Christmas, whereas Goodwin won't be sacked regardless. 

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

It seems the board are just letting him run down his contract with as little spend as possible 

For me I'm a little disappointed at the wording of Beattie's statement at the end of last season. It is becoming quite evident that we aren't even close to competing.

"For the Club to succeed in the Championship and remain prepared for that return to top flight football, we need to have a competitive budget that will fully match our aspirations. Because of financial prudence in recent years, we are in a position to provide that."

“On the playing side the team needs to be rebuilt, effectively from scratch, and there is money in the budget to do that."

"We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else." 

All these statements seem to be utter nonsense to me, and just a slightly crude ploy to, at the time, bolster season ticket sales. We are effectively one day away from the season starting, and if Archibald has learned from the previous years he will know that one of the main reasons we always get off to a shocking start is that the team isn't in place and bedded in. And it seems exactly the same this season to be honest. We know already our "competitive budget" has seen signing targets bugger-off up North to County or United, and will see us have to fill our side with loan signings. 

In addition to that, nothing about this team screams "rebulit" to me.  The squad that turned out against Ayr last weekend was littered with the same guys that saw us relegated. 

I'd much rather have seen the club rebuild from scratch, give a new manager a modest budget, and then give him 2 or 3 years to get us back in the top-flight. With Archibald's inability to learn from mistakes, and his complete ineptitude in the transfer window, I don't think we will be even close to promotion this season, and will be back in the exact same situation a year from now. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

For me I'm a little disappointed at the wording of Beattie's statement at the end of last season. It is becoming quite evident that we aren't even close to competing.

"For the Club to succeed in the Championship and remain prepared for that return to top flight football, we need to have a competitive budget that will fully match our aspirations. Because of financial prudence in recent years, we are in a position to provide that."

“On the playing side the team needs to be rebuilt, effectively from scratch, and there is money in the budget to do that."

"We have also agreed that we must return to playing football like Partick Thistle – we can’t be anyone else." 

All these statements seem to be utter nonsense to me, and just a slightly crude ploy to, at the time, bolster season ticket sales. We are effectively one day away from the season starting, and if Archibald has learned from the previous years he will know that one of the main reasons we always get off to a shocking start is that the team isn't in place and bedded in. And it seems exactly the same this season to be honest. We know already our "competitive budget" has seen signing targets bugger-off up North to County or United, and will see us have to fill our side with loan signings. 

In addition to that, nothing about this team screams "rebulit" to me.  The squad that turned out against Ayr last weekend was littered with the same guys that saw us relegated. 

I'd much rather have seen the club rebuild from scratch, give a new manager a modest budget, and then give him 2 or 3 years to get us back in the top-flight. With Archibald's inability to learn from mistakes, and his complete ineptitude in the transfer window, I don't think we will be even close to promotion this season, and will be back in the exact same situation a year from now. 

If we get of to our usual start, Archie may find his position untenable come October, and with the squad (depth , quality & fitness) we have the 1st 4 league games look incredibly difficult to get much out of, I don’t see a win against any of them

6 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

If we get of to our usual start, Archie may find his position untenable come October, and with the squad (depth , quality & fitness) we have the 1st 4 league games look incredibly difficult to get much out of, I don’t see a win against any of them

Agree with this. Part of the problem in retaining Archie was that he wouldn't get the same amount of time as a new manager. The squad as it stands isn't really inspiring the support so the normal excuses of it takes a new team time to gel, big transformation etc don't work when you know the signings are at best mid-table and the manager has a very limited tactical play book.

At this point I'm not sure if Archie has been setup to fail or we had a well meaning Chairman and director who didn't look at the lessons of past relegation's.

Archie's future now appears to hang on making at least 3 very good signings out of whatever budget he has left.

On 01/08/2018 at 6:05 PM, Mad Mull Jag said:

We didn't know what division we would be in till the end of may roughly 3 weeks behind Falkirk/Dunfermline and 2 behind County and United. So behind these guys. 

That's a woeful excuse even if it was accurate. County & DUFC finished their season the week before us.

42 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

That's a woeful excuse even if it was accurate. County & DUFC finished their season the week before us.

Not an excuse its  fact 

You cant sign players to you know what division you are in.

Both teams finished their seasons earlier so budgets worked out and plans to sign players would be more advanced. 

6 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

It seems the board are just letting him run down his contract with as little spend as possible 

Yet another nail on the head comment on this forum. If only the red n yellow tinted spectacle wearers on this forum could see what was really going on then maybe we could take the club forward.

4 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Yet another nail on the head comment on this forum. If only the red n yellow tinted spectacle wearers on this forum could see what was really going on then maybe we could take the club forward.

That’s a strange comment there, whether your gusset is damp or your palms are chapped surely most folk who follow the Jags view the game with a red a yellow hue?

Tough and transitional season ahead but the real stuff starts tomorrow...

5 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

And the decision has been taken by the board to give Archibald the chance to get us promoted. There isn’t much we should be doing right now apart from getting right behind the team.

12 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

We need a right back, another center back (suspensions & injuries) 2 defensive midfielders, 2 forwards, a right winger and left winger as a minimum

We have 15 outfield players including Banzo

If we got a rightback, a holding midfielder and a striker (plus a replacement for Keown if he leaves) then that will probably be it. We would then have a solid core, plus enough versatility and youths to fill in in emergencies. We are a Scottish Championship club. We need to be realistic.

6 hours ago, The Legend Blows said:

Yeah, if only everyone on here would start complaining, the team would start winning.  That's a really bizarre jump.  

31 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

If we got a rightback, a holding midfielder and a striker (plus a replacement for Keown if he leaves) then that will probably be it. We would then have a solid core, plus enough versatility and youths to fill in in emergencies. We are a Scottish Championship club. We need to be realistic.

If we have realistic ambitions of promotion then we would still need a winger/attacking midfielder, for me.

Looking at it purely in terms of numbers, we have just four first team players in Erskine/Spittal/Storer/Storey to play in those three positions, supplemented by Fitzpatrick and Wilson. We'd need at least one more for the sake of competition. 

Looking at these players from a quality point of view, I'd say there are now question marks over Erskine's effectiveness and whether he can be relied upon for a full season. Spittal has so far failed to live up to his early promise, Storer is an unknown quantity and Storey is a striker who's been converted into a winger. 

At least one more quality addition is needed. I noticed St. Mirren turned down the chance to sign Chris Humphrey, would he be a good option at this level? Andy Driver is also without a club - with St. Johnstone turning him down - although I expect his expected wage would far exceed what we could offer.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

12 minutes ago, ThickAsThieves said:

If we have realistic ambitions of promotion then we would still need a winger/attacking midfielder, for me.

Looking at it purely in terms of numbers, we have just four first team players in Erskine/Spittal/Storer/Storey to play in those three positions, supplemented by Fitzpatrick and Wilson. We'd need at least one more for the sake of competition. 

Looking at these players from a quality point of view, I'd say there are now question marks over Erskine's effectiveness and whether he can be relied upon for a full season. Spittal has so far failed to live up to his early promise, Storer is an unknown quantity and Storey is a striker who's been converted into a winger. 

At least one more quality addition is needed. I noticed St. Mirren turned down the chance to sign Chris Humphrey, would he be a good option at this level? Andy Driver is also without a club - with St. Johnstone turning him down - although I expect his expected wage would far exceed what we could offer.

Humphrey has had problems with injuries the last couple of seasons so I would look for a guarantee he is fully fit before signing him

I think we have a decent team that with the right guidance could challenge this season. The problem is we have guys that dont have a clue what there doing. Why do we 'convert' players from their strongest position into one that is foreign to them? Elliot was a striker and slowly but surely has been shoe horned into a full back of which he is competent at best. Miles storey is now a winger? He doesnt have the sense to look up before putting in a consistently woeful ball. Storer im sure was announced as a striker, only now Archie believes he is a midfielder. Play to the players strengths instead of trying to squeeze them into a system that hasn't worked in quite some time

• Like 2