Team rebuilding

Paukea

It's a little unfair to highlight individuals' deficiencies, as it's a team game, and very few errors - even Christie Elliott's shocker - are individual errors. (Bell could have shouted to put the ball out, a central defender or midfielder could have offered him an out ball,...) Some players also take time to bed in; remember that Doolan was farmed out to Clyde in his early days.

Most successful teams have just a few commanding players, with others playing off them. However, the club doesn't seem to have a strategy for building a team - just signing individual players in the hope/expectation that they'll do the job, and then pushing them into playing in the positions that past seasons have determined should dictate the formation. (E.g. non-overlapping fullbacks long after Twaddle, O'Donnell, Taylor-Sinclair etc. have gone.)

Christie Elliott's shocker shouldn't be construed as anything other than a catastrophic individual error.

He doesn't need Bell or anyone else to tell him that dribbling into your own penalty area when under pressure from an opposition forward down in the corner isn't a wise decision under any circumstances.

• Like 2

I agree but Stubbs was mentioning about St Mirren being too quiet on Saturday.

So whilst I agree re Elliot, the general point about our team being more vocal is a fair one I think. Captain Dools was even defending quiet captaincy last week on Jagzone.

We need some talkers in the team. O'Ware looks only one at moment.

Like so many issues, this is not a new one.

54 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Christie Elliott's shocker shouldn't be construed as anything other than a catastrophic individual error.

He doesn't need Bell or anyone else to tell him that dribbling into your own penalty area when under pressure from an opposition forward down in the corner isn't a wise decision under any circumstances.

i think the players the fans in fact everybody in the ground were speechless watching elliott 

wondering what would he do next where was he going then hammering the ball across the face of his own goal

still can't believe it

12 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

i think the players the fans in fact everybody in the ground were speechless watching elliott 

wondering what would he do next where was he going then hammering the ball across the face of his own goal

still can't believe it

had he contrived to knock the ball directly into the net instead of hammering it against an opponent then it might well have gone down as the greatest own goal in history...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChiThistle said:

I’d almost suggest we offer a contract to the next winner of the Crossbar Challenge, but I don’t know if my heart could take him knocking us back for a move to Alloa..

With our injury record, will the first six who buy league cup tickets get a game against C****c?

1 hour ago, scotty said:

With our injury record, will the first six who buy league cup tickets get a game against C****c?

Someone is confident we are going to sell six. :)

PS

Due to the cycling Firhill will be practically be off limits tomorrow so any new signings may have to be brought in via helicopter :)

I heard that no one wants to sign for us because Archie is clueless and we are guaranteed to get relegated. Also heard that we have no signing targets and we are waiting for players to come to us. And that the board have no faith so are not providing funds for anyone. Also that we need a whole new team just to compete because every player we have at the moment is useless.

Not sure how reliable it is.

9 minutes ago, allyo said:

I heard that no one wants to sign for us because Archie is clueless and we are guaranteed to get relegated. Also heard that we have no signing targets and we are waiting for players to come to us. And that the board have no faith so are not providing funds for anyone. Also that we need a whole new team just to compete because every player we have at the moment is useless.

Not sure how reliable it is.

Sounds about right. Is your source AA by any chance?

Falkirk have signed 16 players with at least one more to come. Their fans seem as happy as ours, minus the relegation blues. Then again they’ve spent ten years in the second tier so have maybe become inured to things :thinking:

1 minute ago, jagfox said:

Falkirk have signed 16 players with at least one more to come. Their fans seem as happy as ours, minus the relegation blues. Then again they’ve spent ten years in the second tier so have maybe become inured to things :thinking:

Interesting they have signed as many players as we have .....

Oh hell. I will throw this nonsense into the mix. 

Remember last season we would announce the name of a signing the day before by using cryptic messages in the club's Twitter feed? For instance, the first letter of a few weirdly worded Tweets would spell out a name? Well today, 3 posts spelled out the word "J-A-I." Quitongo time anyone? 

99% sure it is absolutely nothing, but I did find some of the wording of the Tweets strange unless it was intentionally trying to spell out something. 

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Oh hell. I will throw this nonsense into the mix. 

Remember last season we would announce the name of a signing the day before by using cryptic messages in the club's Twitter feed? For instance, the first letter of a few weirdly worded Tweets would spell out a name? Well today, 3 posts spelled out the word "J-A-I." Quitongo time anyone? 

99% sure it is absolutely nothing, but I did find some of the wording of the Tweets strange unless it was intentionally trying to spell out something. 

Good player when fit.But I think only Banzo has a worst fitness record than him over the past few seasons.