Team rebuilding

Paukea

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

So he is injury prone?

Is being injury prone something you grow into? Before his Tynecastle injury Bannigan's virtually only omissions were for suspensions. Even on the odd occasion when he took a knock he was noted as quick healer. If two bad injuries in six or seven years makes a player injury prone God help us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Is being injury prone something you grow into? Before his Tynecastle injury Bannigan's virtually only omissions were for suspensions. Even on the odd occasion when he took a knock he was noted as quick healer. If two bad injuries in six or seven years makes a player injury prone God help us. 

Being out more or less for two and half years suggests that he is a liability. By all means we stand by a player who is injured, but for how long? When is it decided that he must be cut loose? After another 4 months of no football? Do we give him a contract until the end of the season? Where does it end when there is no product? If he does get back and performs well then I will be ecstatic, but previous history suggests otherwise.

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Waste of a wage.

I think this is a bit harsh. When he was fit, he was better than any of the midfielders we currently have. In the managers update he said that Bannigan isn’t on a big wage. 

What is your reasoning for saying it is a waste of a wage

17 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think this is a bit harsh. When he was fit, he was better than any of the midfielders we currently have. In the managers update he said that Bannigan isn’t on a big wage. 

What is your reasoning for saying it is a waste of a wage

Exactly. When he was fit. The last two and a half years he hasn't been. It's a waste of a wage in respect that he hasn't produced anything for his employers in two and a half years so any wage, No matter what level, is a waste of resources.

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

Yes. An employer would either recompense you for a said injury or continue to pay you to what is deemed reasonable. Is two and a half years reasonable?. That would not be conjusive to the business.

Hindsight is 20/20. If it was known at the time that the original injury was going to take so long to recover from, then probably he would have been let go back then. However that is irrelevant to the situation now. As I understand it, at the point where we’ve offered him this short term deal, he is understood to have fully recovered from the long term injury and is simply recovering from a relatively minor, unconnected knock. I also understand he showed great promise before that knock (and we all know how good he is generally). Of course there can be no guarantees, but I can see no reason why this is not a good move for the club, from the  position we, and the player, are now at.

4 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Hindsight is 20/20. If it was known at the time that the original injury was going to take so long to recover from, then probably he would have been let go back then. However that is irrelevant to the situation now. As I understand it, at the point where we’ve offered him this short term deal, he is understood to have fully recovered from the long term injury and is simply recovering from a relatively minor, unconnected knock. I also understand he showed great promise before that knock (and we all know how good he is generally). Of course there can be no guarantees, but I can see no reason why this is not a good move for the club, from the  position we, and the player, are now at.

That is indeed the point. We gave him just over a season under treatment and recovery. No success. We gave him last season as an extension to recover. Still not right. He should have Ben cut loose after our relegation.

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

That is indeed the point. We gave him just over a season under treatment and recovery. No success. We gave him last season as an extension to recover. Still not right. He should have Ben cut loose after our relegation.

I don’t think I agree with that- I don’t think the extension at the end of last season was a bad decision as we had a reasonable expectation that he’ll play a part this season (and I still do). If so, then the outlay from that point on is good value. Whether we should have retained him at either of the previous two decision points is more debatable, as it was clear (as far as I can remember) that he would not be back quicky- particularly the very first extension immediately after the injury. 

12 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

The other point is that Bannigan proves his fitness then walks away in January and signs for another club, then it will have been a waste of a wage for the last 2years.

Indeed. That was his position just before he got injured. As was his right at the time. Thistle have  invested in a player for too long for no return. 

56 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Yes. An employer would either recompense you for a said injury or continue to pay you to what is deemed reasonable. Is two and a half years reasonable?. That would not be conjusive to the business.

I think what is reasonable is the length of time it takes to get fit to work again

56 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Exactly. When he was fit. The last two and a half years he hasn't been. It's a waste of a wage in respect that he hasn't produced anything for his employers in two and a half years so any wage, No matter what level, is a waste of resources.

What knowledge do you have that he won’t be fit again ?

if we had released him 2 1/2 years ago he might have decided to take us to an employment tribunal and who knows what the outcome of that might have been

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Indeed. That was his position just before he got injured. As was his right at the time. Thistle have  invested in a player for too long for no return. 

Yes, but that’s already done and can’t be undone. The only issue now is whether he’ll do a job for us this season.  And I understand that there’s good scope to be optimistic in that respect.

2 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

if we had released him 2 1/2 years ago he might have decided to take us to an employment tribunal and who knows what the outcome of that might have been

I dont think he’d have had grounds for that. We don’t need to offer contracts to any out of contract players, and certainly not crocked ones. In addition, it was common knowledge he was leaving us for Aberdeen at the end of that season (as was his right, being out of contract), so I don’t see how we had any moral obligation whatsoever.

8 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Are you serious? He would have been laughed out any tribunal. He didnt want to stay with us until his injury left him no option.

Edited by MonehJags

54 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

The other point is that Bannigan proves his fitness then walks away in January and signs for another club, then it will have been a waste of a wage for the last 2years.

Do you seriously think he would do that to the club that has stood by him all of this time?

I don't know Stuart Bannigan personally but I know he is someone with a bit of integrity.

It's worth the risk to see if Bannigan can get back to the player he was. To try and predict the future i.e. claim a new contract is a waste of a wage is pretty silly when, if the gamble pays off we will have a very good player in our team.  

32 minutes ago, policemans whistle said:

Did anybody watch the documentary on the artist with WBA a few weeks ago? He interviewed a first team player who had 2 cruciate ligament operations and then a third one which he had to get a transplant from someone else to fix it. He still is a first team player for WBA

While it is commendable, they certainly have a bigger budget and squad than us. We cant afford passengers, but apparently it seems Banzo has took a hit in order to stay with us so fingers crossed he can stay fit and reproduce what he was capable of before