Team rebuilding

Paukea

9 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I dont think he’d have had grounds for that. We don’t need to offer contracts to any out of contract players, and certainly not crocked ones. In addition, it was common knowledge he was leaving us for Aberdeen at the end of that season (as was his right, being out of contract), so I don’t see how we had any moral obligation whatsoever.

For me that makes it worse. He was still in contract when he got injured. If he was going to Aberdeen, it would undoubtedly be on a better deal than we were paying. 

7 hours ago, jagfox said:

In addition to a central defender we could be loooking to bring in Greg Kiltie, left sided winger, from Killie on loan tomorrow. 

According to wiki he has had a 6month injury followed by another 4 months out in the last 2 seasons but at least he would not be lonely on the physios room should he get crocked again.

9 hours ago, policemans whistle said:

Did anybody watch the documentary on the artist with WBA a few weeks ago? He interviewed a first team player who had 2 cruciate ligament operations and then a third one which he had to get a transplant from someone else to fix it. He still is a first team player for WBA

Unfortunately the transplant was one of Banzo's old ones.

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

What has that got to do with it ? He got injured while still employed by us.

The potential to get injured is an accepted part of being a professional football player. He had a fixed term contract that was coming to an end and if his employers, the club, did not wish to renew the contract they would be under no obligation to do so, injury or no injury.

Unless there was a clear fault by the club in terms of the diagnosis or treatment of the injury before his contract was due to end, under what grounds do you feel he would have had a case at a tribunal?

14 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

What knowledge do you have that he won’t be fit again ?

if we had released him 2 1/2 years ago he might have decided to take us to an employment tribunal and who knows what the outcome of that might have been

Stuart having to pay employment tribunal fees for a case that was summarily dismissed, most likely.

Talking in general, no specifics, but being a club that shows loyalty to injured players must have a plus side. Conversely being a club noted for discarding injured players at the first opportune moment will have a down side. Kinda similar to a well known Scottish manager (currently unemployed) who gained a reputation for fielding players against physio advice and then had a problem attracting players to his then club.

I'm not for a moment trying to equate our relevant contract extension decisions with commercial judgment.  Nevertheless many of us will at some point in our lives stayed with or joined up with a company who maybe pay a bit less but offer a better working environment. Put another way if we didn't display that bit of latitude re injuries we may have had to pay signings that bit extra to attract players to the Club.

So I'm merely pointing out that no matter opinions on the Club being loyal (or over-loyal) to injured players there's still a plus side to these decisions.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Talking in general, no specifics, but being a club that shows loyalty to injured players must have a plus side. Conversely being a club noted for discarding injured players at the first opportune moment will have a down side. Kinda similar to a well known Scottish manager (currently unemployed) who gained a reputation for fielding players against physio advice and then had a problem attracting players to his then club.

I'm not for a moment trying to equate our relevant contract extension decisions with commercial judgment.  Nevertheless many of us will at some point in our lives stayed with or joined up with a company who maybe pay a bit less but offer a better working environment. Put another way if we didn't display that bit of latitude re injuries we may have had to pay signings that bit extra to attract players to the Club.

So I'm merely pointing out that no matter opinions on the Club being loyal (or over-loyal) to injured players there's still a plus side to these decisions.

Players with a good history of avoiding injury tend not to be influenced as much by how patient a club is with players who get injured. The ones that care whether a club will stand by them are the permacrocks, the crockphobes and the just been crockeds

12 hours ago, jagfox said:

In addition to a central defender we could be loooking to bring in Greg Kiltie, left sided winger, from Killie on loan tomorrow. 

I know they're slightly different types of players but possibly at the expense of signing Quitongo? A loan deal as opposed to a signing will free some dosh for bringinging in a defender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Players with a good history of avoiding injury tend not to be influenced as much by how patient a club is with players who get injured. The ones that care whether a club will stand by them are the permacrocks, the crockphobes and the just been crockeds

As stated I'm generalising. You're more or less making a statement. One that I don't believe is accurate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flashman said:

The potential to get injured is an accepted part of being a professional football player. He had a fixed term contract that was coming to an end and if his employers, the club, did not wish to renew the contract they would be under no obligation to do so, injury or no injury.

Unless there was a clear fault by the club in terms of the diagnosis or treatment of the injury before his contract was due to end, under what grounds do you feel he would have had a case at a tribunal?

Just because something is an accepted part of being a professional footballer, it doesn’t mean that it can’t be challenged. I can’t remember the specifics,(something to do with transfers,I think), but prior to the Bosman ruling there was something that was   accepted as being normal for footballers. I pretty sure that there aren’t laws solely for footballers.

13 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

I hope so sandy because he was awful last season (as were many) and he has plenty therefore to make up for

He is better than he played last season, I believe he will grow in ability & confidence. He is a bright lad who is well grounded.

Decided to sponsor his shirt again this season.

Edited by sandy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Interesting. How extensive was your research?